Gene Clarke's Steeler

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Garry Procter

Gene Clarke's Steeler

Post by Garry Procter »

Hi all – today a friend asked if I knew who was the pedal steel palyer on 'The True One' from Gene Clark's 'No Other 'album (1974). There's no one credited on the album. I don't know the track, and my friend says that Sneaky Pete played extensively on Gene's records, but that it doesn't sound like Sneaky.

I told him if anyone knew it would be one (or more) of the wonderful people on this forum! Any ideas?
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Gary-we went down this road last fall-and it was one circuitous route. Click on the link below and you can read about our findings-or lack thereof.
http://tinyurl.com/hn3gp

------------------
Mark
Garry Procter

Post by Garry Procter »

Hi Mark,

Many thanks. I'm sorry, I really should learn to search before asking... I'm very grateful for you pointing me in the right direction,

Garry

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

No sweat Gary.

b0b will be the first to tell you that searching the archives on these internet forums can be a difficult task-and a far from perfect science.

Some things come up on a regular basis, though this Gene Clark question is pretty obscure.

I wish I had a dollar for every time the "which is the best dobro capo?" comes up between the no peddlers section here on the Forum, and also over at the Jerry Douglas bulletin board! Image

------------------
Mark
Garry Procter

Post by Garry Procter »

The friend who asked me about this is extremely knowledgeable about all things Byrds related (and lots of other music stuff) and he said it had been driving hiim crazy not knowing who played the steel on that track. I guess we'll never know! Me, I'm driven crazy by much simpler things. Like playing my pedal steel in tune! Many thanks for your comments. By the way, what is the best Dobro capo? (just pulling your leg). Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Garry Procter on 01 April 2006 at 02:58 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I asked a friend here in NYC, Buddy Woodward who is a good multi-instrumentalist & bandleader and is the most steeped-in-the-SoCal-thing Byrds family tree person I have ever known. Here is his email response to me today:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Just talked to John Einarson, Gene Clark's biographer. He's pretty sure its
Pete Kleinow as well...its definitely not Al Perkins.</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm well aware of the discrepancy in the first thread where John E. attributes it to Al Perkins. In other words, it's all cleared up now. Clear as mud.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Sounds to me like it's time to get a bet going.....somebody will eventually be able to prove who played on this album.

My final answer is Red Rhodes. He played on the Mike Nesbitt stuff of the same time period, same town and probably the same studio. With Al Perkins eliminated, my money's on Red.