About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Freniere

Conway's "Fifteen Years Ago"

Post by Frank Freniere »

Who played steel? Beautiful.
Doug Dietrich

Post by Doug Dietrich »

I'm pretty sure it was the great John Hughey.
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

John Hughey.

Everything he did with Conway are some of the best steel guitar backup you`ll ever find.

I love it. Image
John Hawkins

Post by John Hawkins »

I would have to guess it was John Hughey ! He was with Conway a very long time .

John has this same song on one of his instrumental C.D.'s, also ( "PURE E9TH ") ! Talk about good !!! You can order it on his web site = www.johnhughey.com .

The whole C.D.is great ! He is one fine steel player!

John
R.C. Vick

Post by R.C. Vick »

When John and Billy Carr are not on the same show, Billy does that song proud. Its kind of like when Don Helms asks you to close your eyes and go back with him on his special solo.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

The Steel Guitar Artistry of John Hughey!

He is a Master Player and True Artist in ever sense of the word!

GOD bless!

Terry
Jason Schofield

Post by Jason Schofield »

That is an awsome track. Did anyone transcribe this one yet? Any idea what year this came out?

I also have some cds for sale. check it out http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum18/HTML/000720.html
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

Thanks Mr. R.C., John's always been my favorite steel player, not only for the way he plays but also for the way he and his wife, Jean, treat people. Super nice folks. I don't usually play any of JH's licks/runs if we're on the same show but if he's not playing then I'll make it a point to slip in two or three of his things mainly for the other players that also respect and admire his playing. Thanks again, R.C.
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

I'd like to echo what Billy said about how nice Mr. Hughey and his wife are. I met Mr. Hughey at one of the Little Nashville steel guitar shows that Jimmy Roby used to put on near Amory MS. I honestly don't believe I have ever met a nicer, more down to earth, friendly person that John Hughey was to me that day. He and Little Roy Wiggins were also both gracious enough to sign the L.D.G. that I was playing at that time.

By the way he treated me, you'd think I was one of the greats like Lloyd or Buddy, and not just some wannabe steel playin' hack!!! He certainly earned my admiration and respect that day!