Buck Grantham "Master Player"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Danny Harrell

Buck Grantham "Master Player"

Post by Danny Harrell »

Had the chance the other day to stop by and visit with Mr. Buck Grantham and Ms. Mitzi. They are such fine people. Ms. Mitzi is well known for her contribution to pedal steel through photos, and what a wonderful job she does! Mr. Buck took me back to his music room and WOWED ME with some of his playing. His tone delivery is second to none. I tried real hard to steal his settings. He played some runs and licks for me that made me go home and practice some more. Mr. Buck is what I call a MASTER PLAYER. He can do it all, slow, fast, accurate, and all with the best tone you have ever heard. The Granthams" are well known in the field of Pedal Steel and I am glad to call them my friends. Mr. Buck, you are my favorite, when I grow up, I want to sound like you. Hats off to the Granthams, Mr. Buck and Ms. Mitzi!!!!!!!!!!!!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Danny Harrell on 21 March 2006 at 12:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
Curt Shoemaker

Post by Curt Shoemaker »

Well said Danny, I couldn't agree more
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I've loved Buck's playing from the first moment I heard him. That was in Lexington several years ago. Plus he's a downright great guy to visit with.

------------------
HagFan

Terry Bethel

Post by Terry Bethel »

For the past 8 or so years I have had the honor of having Miss Mitzi and Buck at the OzarkSGA Jam in Branson. I won't have a show without the two of them. They are not only nice people but I very proud to call them my friends.
Buck is truly "A MASTER PLAYER"
And Miss "MITZI" WHAT A LADY,

Terry Bethel
Sec/Treas
OZARKSGA
Jim McGinnis

Post by Jim McGinnis »

Buck is simply the best. I have begged and pleaded to get him to record a CD. His arrangement of Beula Land and Big Mamau alone would be worth the price of a CD. I don't know what it would cost to produce a CD and I did ask the question of the Herbster but got no reply. I think we should start a grass roots campaign to get Buck in the studio. What say guys and gals. Would you buy a CD from this master player?Course I would love to see it done in Justin Trevinos studio because the CD's he has produced of Dicky Overby and Bobby Flores are top quality.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

A cd from Buck would be a fine addition to my collection. They are the nicest people you'll ever meet and the steel shows would not be the same without them. It must have been a real treat to hear Buck in his music room. I remember him playing "Here's That Rainy Day" solo in Gulfport, I thought it was beautiful. Buck, thanks for helping me get this wonderful new Mullen.

------------------
Howard<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Howard Tate on 21 March 2006 at 04:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

I can only second everything that has been said about my "Cuz" Buck and Miss Mitzi(a true professional in the field of photography). Two of the finest people on God's green earth whom Barbara and I are proud to call family.
Buck is a MASTER PLAYER in every respect. I always look forward to working his show because it is pure steel guitar perfection in tone, quality and expression. "Thanks" Buck.
We love you and Mitzi,
....Roy and Barbara

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy

Jeanie Richardson

Post by Jeanie Richardson »

I first heard Buck a couple of years ago in Chattanooga. My immediate impression was, WOW! I also enjoyed Mitzi sharing her photo albums with me. A super couple. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to say so.
Tommy Dodd

Post by Tommy Dodd »

Well, there are a lot of great players that frequent the pages of this forum and I seldom make comments about them or their playing. Even though there are some monster players lurking out there; names you might not recognize but their playing would just knock you out.

But I can't, or won't, hold back saying some good words about my hero....Buck Grantham. Since the very first time I heard him play at one of Stoney Stonecipher's Smokey Mtn. jamboree, I have admired his playing. He plays good tunes, with touch and tone, and attacks the strings with a 20 year old's p**ss and vinegar. I love it.

Like Danny Harrell said, when I grow up, I want to pick just like you Buck.

Keep kickin' it out my friend.

tommyd
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Hey thanks a bunch for the very kind words about Mitzi and I. We realy appreciate it. We love the music and fellowship at the shows and we consider everyone there as our friends. We are very fortunate to have friends like all of you. Thank you all. Love , Buck & Mitzi
Bill Stroud

Post by Bill Stroud »

Everything said above is right on, and they just make you feel welcome to be around, more people like them in this world, the police would have to find another job, we wouldn't need them.
Love you guys,
Bill & Shirl Girl
Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

Buck had a set at the Texas show, and I love his playing. He's now one of my very favorites. If he has recorded, I'd like to know whose CDs, and if he has recorded in his own name, where I could find them. Does anyone have that info?

-dean-
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

"Two more cents" need to be said here for and about Buck. And should I have had to pay for the words about how I also feel about Mr. Buck Grantham, the U.S.A budget would be a few more trillion dollars in the hole.
This man graces every stage he is on and we all here in Gulfport are so very proud of Buck Grantham. Me especially. When Buck plays, all listen and take notes and then go home, practice or think about throwing their equipmnet away.
And Mitzie-WOW, the budget just evaporated!
Bill Stafford
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

Just wanted to add my thanks to Buck and Mitz. They were two of the first people who made us feel welcome when we first started attending the steel shows. Nicer than nice could be.

Buck has always been one of our favorite pickers. We can always count on him to help Austin out as well. As I listened to his set at Dallas this year, I leaned over and told Mom it was a shame we were so far away from Buck because he has so much knowledge that he could pass on to Austin. Austin learns something from him each and every time they meet up. Thanks Buck and Mitz for being the great people you are.

robert hays

Post by robert hays »

I'm with Jim Mcginnis, I think Buck should do a C D,I have been bugging him for 20 + years to do that! And lord knows he has a set list that would fill many C.D.'s Buck's playing is always top notch,and always fresh material,I would guess that right now he is working on something new for the next show! I won't give up till he does at least one C.D., A gospel C.D would be nice too!
Stoney Stonecipher

Post by Stoney Stonecipher »

Ditto on everything said about Buck and Mitzi. We think Buck and Mitzi are two of the finest people in the steel guitar world. We love to hear Buck play.....Stoney and Lois
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

I love to hear Buck play. Buck plays with a lot of feeling.
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

Buck and Mitzi are truely fine folks. Janice and I always enjoy their company. Buck is indeed a master player. If he is ever in your area, go see his show. You won't be disappointed.

Ken
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

"Master Player" is putting it lightly. Buck is one of best players I've ever listened to. Wonderful tone and execution along with perfect intonation. Very simply put, he's one of the best players in the country today. Period. Hey Danny Harrell, my friend, your also one of the best players I've listened to. You've got the best "Emmons" sound I've heard.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I first heard Buck play back in the early fifties, while attending high school in Baton Rouge. He was in a local band that played Saturday nights at The Old Country Store show in Baton Rouge - also on local T.V. Buck was great back then and made me feel I had to get one of those "fancy type" guitars.
The fiddler in that band had a service station in Baton Rouge - and also played around with a steel. I bought a small six string National from this guy and have loved steel guitar ever since.

Would be great if Buck could be talked into putting together a C.D. Of course it would take at least a half-dozen C.D.'s to do justice to this master of the steel guitar.

Dave
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

You all are just too kind and I thank you so much . This is why I like to play the shows. The friendship is wonderful to have and I appreciate every one of you. Love,,, Buck
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Not much i can add about Mr Buck and Mrs Mitzi that hasn't been said. I believe there's a place in the HOF for them for one of the Most Loved and gifted couples in the steel guitar family. God bless you both .

Skip

------------------
"I Can Only Imagine"

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Skip Cole on 23 March 2006 at 08:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Well not much more I can say about Buck He is always welcome on any bandstand I know of. What a great player and nice guy. He better be good to "Lady Mitzi" because I haven't met a musician that isn't in love with her. What great pair they make. I love them dearly. Bobby
R.C. Vick

Post by R.C. Vick »

This is a post I made after the last Gulfport show which bears posting again!

Mr. Buck is my new hero as I told him the first time I saw him last year at Gulfport. He is so sharp that he just commands attention. I wish I could look just like him when I get his age. Seriously, The man should be commended on his appearance as well as his playing. I sat at the end of the table from him last Saturday and am ashamed I didnt talk with him again. It was just that kind of show. The stage kept your attention all day.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

I've had the pleasure of having Buck on lead guitar while I played steel. He's a monster at that,too!