Steel or Lead Guitar ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Peden

Steel or Lead Guitar ?

Post by Brian Peden »

Hi, My name is Brian. This is the first time I have used the forum. I appreciate and thank the people who make this possible.
I would like to find out which instrument is riding in the song "Be My Baby Tonight". I have thought for some time that it was a steel but now I am not sure. Any help appreciated. Thanks,
Brian
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

Brian,
Welcome to the Forum.
I haven't heard that particular song in quite a while, but if I understand your question, I think it's the pedal steel, and not a 6-string guitar, though there is a 6-string guitar playing other parts in the song than the lead. You might get more responses if you post your question in the "Pedal Steel" section on this Forum, rather than in "Forum Feedback." -- Marc <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Marc Friedland on 24 February 2006 at 09:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm moving this to "Steel Players". Hopefully we'll find out who the steel player is on that song.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Downloaded right quick and gave it a listen. The solo in the middle sounds to me like steel and then the fiddle.

The steel also does the fills at the second verse. Also the steel has a little lick in the intro and the turnaround after which the elec. guitar does his bit. Nice slick production on this tune. Don't know who the players are.

"riding"---I like that.

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Who's version are you talking about? Is this the Bob Dylan song? There were several different versions.

Ray Price on the Cherokee Cowboys Reunion is Buddy Emmons.

Linda Rondstadt I believe is Sneaky Pete.
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I think he means the John Michael Montgomery tune.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Bob Dylan's version is Pete Drake, I'm fairly sure.

------------------
Dave Wren
'95Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Twin Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Hey Brian, what part of KY?
The JMM tune is definitely an effected steel ride followed by fiddle. Don't know what effect or who the musicians were. If I had to guess, I'd say PF or Mike Johnson on steel.

A band I played with last year did this tune. The Fiddle player and I worked it out as recorded. Fiddle and steel team up nicely on this tune. Pay close attention to the drivin' bass lick too! Image
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Forgot about that one. My bad.
Brian Peden

Post by Brian Peden »

Hey Thanks so much,
I am talking about JMM's version. To answer your question Jerry, I am from Glasgow.
I'm glad to hear you have worked this one out already. I would to get some tab for this. Or maybe some pointers.
I just got back from a house gig tonight where we opened for Ronnie McDowell. He did a fantastic performance. I was a little suprised to see that he does not use a steel in his show.
Thanks, steelhere

Brian
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Nice tune, we do it regularly down here.
The Dylan one for us, for sure...

But I have never heard the original,
at least not in tha last 30 years.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 25 February 2006 at 01:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

On John Michael Montgomery's version of "Be My Baby Tonight", it's Paul Franklin playing the steel ride. It's a pedal steel ride instead of a lead guitar ride. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brett Day on 26 February 2006 at 09:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Dylan's song is called "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight."

------------------
Mark
Ken Prutzman

Post by Ken Prutzman »

Pat Kelly

Post by Pat Kelly »

As far as vocals go....IMHO can't beat Burl Ives
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I'm sure Brent Mason played guitar on the song. Paul played the steel solo. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
Brian Peden

Post by Brian Peden »

Hey thanks Ken Prutzman

This is what I was looking for. The link to the tab helped me figure out in about thirty minutes what I have been wondering about for over a year now. Everything fits fairly well except I altered the beginning just a little. I am going to start with open strings and A & B pedal. 5th string open then bend A pedal using a roll on 4th 5th &6th strings. With a hammer on fret 2 than 3 while still in the roll then slide up to the 5th fret with A&B pedals strings 4&6.( Well something like that, ) It works for me!
Thanks again
Brian