Battle For Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roy Thomson

Battle For Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

Post by Roy Thomson »

Time out for something different.
I am not even close to playing this right
but the one thing I notice is,,, the chords,,, the changes,,,,insane!!! http://freefilehosting.net/?id=q97xlKvd
------------------
http://www.clictab.com/RoyT/Roy_Thomson_Steel_Courses.htm <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 20 February 2006 at 11:38 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 20 February 2006 at 06:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Pat Kelly

Post by Pat Kelly »

I am sure I remember mention in one edition of Tom Bradshaw's Steel Guitarist (published 1979-1981) that someone had played The Moonlight Sonata at one of the conventions of the time. It may have been at St Louis. Perhaps someone with a better memory than me can provide details.
Don J. Dixon

Post by Don J. Dixon »

Roy, that is awesome!very,very pretty. Makes me want to listen to classical music.

------------------
GFI Ultra D-10, Airline 6-string lap steel
steelsanta@aol.com
steelsanta@aol.com

Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

B.J. Cole has recorded this on one of his albums: I think it was on "Transparent Music". It's so long ago, but I think he may have played it live at Scotty's in 1980. I'm sure he also played one of Satie's "Gnossienne" - possibly No.1.

B.J. played the "Moonlight Sonata" on a few separate occasions, on various years at my own Festival.

Gerry
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Roy,

I stupidly forgot to say how much I enjoyed your rendition. Excellent playing, great tone!

Gerry
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

<SMALL>Makes me want to listen to classical music.</SMALL>
EEEEEUUUUUWWWWWW!!!!

Why would you want to do that? Image

Seriously Roy, the web page doesn't work on my computer. Is there any other way you could post the music? Failing that, would you mind sending me the MP3? Maybe I can play it with quick time or I-tunes.

Somebody here in California, I think it may have been Ron Turner, also recorded the piece. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 20 February 2006 at 05:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

I emailed MP3 to you Mike.
No big deal! No Firebird here!
Just an excerpt from the Third
Movement ....I think? Image

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Moonlight Sonata--the birth of the blues.
I think Ludwig would like this rendition.
I did.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Roy, I don't see the link. Could you post it again, or send me the MP3. I have played Moonlight Sonata on piano, and have always thought it would make a great steel piece. But it would be a Herculean task to memorize it, or you would have to be able to read music really well on steel. I am interested in any of B.J. Cole's classical pieces on steel. Are any of them on currently available CDs, tapes or LPs?

------------------
<font size="1">Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

Monk was said to have written Round Midnight from things he gleaned from Moonlight S. I see jazz bands on the net who do both songs?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

B.J.'s 'Transparent Music" CD either has been or is about to be reissued. The CD contains several classical pieces, but not this one.

Randy Beavers does a fantastic interpretation of the theme from Beethoven's 9th sumphony on hos newest CD.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 20 February 2006 at 02:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Did anybody else notice that Tchaikovsky stole the changes for his Violin Concerto in D Major, op. 35, from "Hey Jude" by the Beatles? You'd think somebody as famous as Tchaikovsky could at least write his own stuff, but noooo....
Pat Kelly

Post by Pat Kelly »

As has been tested in court: you can't copyright chord sequences. Melodies maybe..with a good lawyer! Please let's not get off topic by mentioning "My Sweet Lord."<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Pat Kelly on 21 February 2006 at 04:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Roy, that's gorgeous. Is that all one track, or are you multitracking? And I forget, are you playing on 10-string E9 pedal steel?

------------------
<font size="1">Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

Thanks David.
That is played in one pass..one track.
I practiced it for 3 days and it took
several takes to get me this clip.

It's done on an eight string tuning.

I took the arrangement from a Classic Guitar Folio of Juan Martin, an English musician.
I transcribed it from his work to my steel.
More possible to do it this way rather than from piano music notation I find. My eight string tuning extends from E 014 to E 056
the same as Classic Guitar. I wanted it this way so I could go after some of their
arrangements.

Thanks for listening.
Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

Hi Roy It takes me about 5 or 6 times trying to up your site but i will get it open. Finaly!!! thats a great song , thanks as always.
Herman
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

The site is sometimes slow.
Thanks for your patience Herman and
all the best to you.

Roy
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Very nice Roy, thanks for sharing.

------------------
Dave Wren