I have a gig with Billy Yates

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Roten

I have a gig with Billy Yates

Post by Tommy Roten »

Next weekend, I'm doing a gig with Billy Yates here in Norway. I will recieve some cd's next week with songs, and I read on this forum that Mike Johnson is the steeler on the cd's, so I'm terrified... Image But have any of you on the forum played with or heard this guy? I heard some of the clips on his website www.billyyates.com , and it sounds like great country to me. I'm really looking forward to it!

------------------
www.tommy-steel.com
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tommy Roten on 24 February 2006 at 08:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

I know of Billy Yates. Great country singer in the tradition of George Jones. Almost hardcore country. They'll be some great steel guitar on his CD, you'll love it.

Billy is a great songwritter and a very cool person to hang around. Once he got to call his own shots about his recordings, he went more country.

Good luck on the gig, you'll really have a great time and you'll really enjoy learning the songs. Be sure to take the camera!
Tom Mortensen

Post by Tom Mortensen »

Billy Yates is the best.
I've done several gigs with him.
Add, Buddy Emmons, Steve Hinson, and John Hughey to the list of steel players on Billy's records.

------------------
tombleu.com Image

Robert Jones

Post by Robert Jones »

Cool Tommy. Give Billy a message for me if you would. Tell him I said hello. He and I grew up together in Doniphan, Mo. His dad use to cut my hair. You are in for a good show. Billy is a great intertainer and like already mentioned does a great job with George Jones material. In fact he co-wrote "Wall Could Fall" along with a few others on that CD.

------------------
Mullen Royal Percision D-10 Red Laquar Pearl inlay 8&8
"Life is too short for bad tone".

Tom Ensink

Post by Tom Ensink »

Billy is absolutely great. I have three CDs of his, of which two are autographed.

He has visited my country a number of times. Sadly, his local management always lets him play with a local band that does not have a steel player.

Great steel too. Listen to 'Down at the station' and 'Dreaming out Loud' on the 'Country' CD. I think that is Mike Johnson playing.

I understand he is not under a major label and writes and produces all his cds himself, hiring topnotch studios and musicians.

Good luck on your gig, and let him please know that there is a good steel player, waiting to sit in when he is in the Netherlands again!

Tom

------------------
Franklin D10, Derby D10, Emmons D10 (1967), ZB Custom S10, Melobar Teleratt and Melobro, Nashville 112, Session 400, Evans 200, Twin Reverb 1980

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tom Ensink on 24 February 2006 at 02:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Actually, he will soon be in The Netherlands, Sunday March 12, Paradiso, Amsterdam.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I cut some stuff with Billy last Wednesday...

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

Tom Ensink

Post by Tom Ensink »

Thanks for the tip Marco. I am definitely going to the Paradiso Amsterdam gig!

Any idea who will accompany him? Savannah? (again?)

------------------
Franklin D10, Derby D10, Emmons D10 (1967), ZB Custom S10, Melobar Teleratt and Melobro, Nashville 112, Session 400, Evans 200, Twin Reverb 1980

Tom Ensink

Post by Tom Ensink »

Steve!

I always knew that Billy had a great taste for steel guitar players. I've been a big fan of you ever since I heard Danni Leigh's 29 nights CD.

Tom

------------------

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Thanks,Tom!Billy and Danni are both old friends,and I have really enjoyed playing with them over the years...

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

<SMALL>Any idea who will accompany him? Savannah? (again?)</SMALL>
you got to be kidding.

Ron
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Yes, Savannah.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

No need to fear, Tommy. He's one of the nicest guys (as well as one of the best singers and entertainers) I've ever backed up, and once you start playing those great tunes he's written, you'll be having too much fun to be worried about anything.