About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Don J. Dixon

Post by Don J. Dixon »

Excited to be on the Forum for the first time. I am a 54 yr. old bedroom picker[actually it's a shop, storage room, clothes closet,music room, and kitty bathroom]. I've been at it since high school. Maybe someday I'll learn to play, but I am having fun anyway and it keeps my blood pressure down.
Thanks to Bud Carter and Scotty for all the literature and great websites. Thanks to Ann Fabian for hooking me up with Al Brisco of Steel Guitars of Canada. Though I didn't buy a Carter, Al had a red GFI Ultra D-10 that fit me just right! Thanks to Gene Fields for builng such a nice guitar and for sending the wing [did you know that red guitars sound the best?].
I have found that steel guitar players are the nicest and most helpful people on earth and I am honored to be on the Forum with you all. Image Image Image

------------------
GFI Ultra D-10, Airline 6-string lap steel
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Welcome aboard, Don. I'm a steel guitarist with cerebral palsy in my left hand and I'm also a GFI player. I play a red and gold GFI Ultra D-10 with eight pedals and five knee levers. Gene Fields builds great guitars. I started out playing a student model 1974 Emmons when I was eighteen. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

<SMALL>actually it's a shop, storage room, clothes closet,music room, and kitty bathroom</SMALL>
Another closet steeler!
Welcome!
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Don,
Welcome from the other side of the State.
Im 20 minutes from VT. and about an hour NE of Albany. Your gonna love it here! Image

------------------
SHO~BUDS,FENDER AMPS& GUITARS, TUT TAYLOR RESO'S

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Welcome to the forum. "Half" of Canandaigua is down here in Florida. I'm in the staff band at Catfish Johnny's and Donny Colf was there today. Hoss and George O'Neil are also here. John King lives close by and comes to our Florida Steel Guitar Club meetings.

Bill and Janet Goff, although not musicians, also winter in this area.

I bought an Evans amp from Dave "Behoffer"(spelling?) a couple of years ago.

ADDED: John Dixon is down here (or at least was - I haven't seen him in a couple of months). He's Donny Colf's nephew (I think).<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 08 February 2006 at 03:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Welcome to the Forum Don! If you get a chance be sure and go to a steel show. St Louis is the World Series and Super Bowl of Steel put together.This will really inspire you to play our beloved instrument!

------------------
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Don,from Alabama,Bama Charlie,
Don J. Dixon

Post by Don J. Dixon »

to Jack Stoner,
What a small world. John Dixon is my cousin. He is my dad's brother's son. He is a great singer and guitar player. He sounds like Willie is supposed to. Dad's brother Louie and his wife Eleanor are in FL too. Aunt Eleanor is Donny Colf's sister.
If you see any of them, tell them Santa says hello.
Thanks to all those on the forum for such a warm welcome. I just opened my merchandise from the forum store. Thanks b0b.
Don

------------------
GFI Ultra D-10, Airline 6-string lap steel
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Welcome to this Great Forum Don Image
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hi Don, welcome aboard..

t

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="3">------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite
</font></font>

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Don, I'm sure I'll see Donny and Sandy next Tuesday at Catfish Johnny's in Lake Panasoffkee - I'm the staff bandleader at Johnny's.

I'll tell them "Santa" said hello Image
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

Welcome to the forum, Don!

------------------
Mark Wayne

<A HREF="http://www.authenticrecording.com" TARGET=_blank>www.authenticrecording.com</A>
Gary Schuldt

Post by Gary Schuldt »

Hey Don!
A Big welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!!
Remember me.We got together a few years ago.We first met at Rossi's music.You had the old single sho-bud.The last time we talked you had just got a Mullen from Dave Behelfer.
As you can see,i don't live in Geneva N.Y.anymore.My wife and i moved to Seymour TN.in Janurary.We've met some really nice people since we got here.A forum member Jim Eller contacted me.He lives fairly close In Kodak TN..I have been out to see his group South Bound Express.A great bunch of guys.Nice to see you on the forum Don.It's a great place. Drop me an E-mail.
Gary Schuldt
Gary Schuldt

Post by Gary Schuldt »

Hey Jack,
Would you say hello to Hoss,George,and Marion for me? Tell them Betsy and I got to Tn. alright. and loving it.How is George doing on the new dobro?Tell him i'm playing upright bass and dobro with a couple different bluegrass groups.You can tell them to stop by on their way home or i'll try to see them in N.Y. this summer. Thanks Jack.
Gary Schuldt
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Gary, I didn't know George had a Dobro. He never mentioned it to me. Marion always comes to the Tuesday Catfish Johnny jams and sings. George was at our Florida Steel Guitar Jam this past Wednesday evening, but I missed the jam as I'm working with Tommy Cash the month of February.

John King is also working with another band that backs Nashville singers.

The only thing I remember about Geneva, NY was it being cold in February at Sampson AFB. I got there the middle of Feb, 1955 for Basic Training.

Gary Schuldt

Post by Gary Schuldt »

Hi Jack,
I can assure you it is still cold in Geneva on Seneca Lake in February.I don't know if you have been back to Sampson since 1955,but if you go to N.Y. you might find it interesting.They made it a state park and they have a military museum there.
Tell George to get that dobro out. I'm sure he took it with him.He just got it 2 or 3 months ago. You know how shy he is.Tell him i let the cat out of the bag.Talk to you later.
Gary
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I forgot to mention, Hoss bought a used student model GFI to play around with. He said we (the steel club) got him wanting to play again.