Steel guitarist with Jerry Reed

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Tyler

Steel guitarist with Jerry Reed

Post by Wayne Tyler »

I watched Pop Goes the Country on Thursday night and I believe the steel guitarist on the show with Jerry Reed was Jack Smith. He was playing a black Emmons and also had a microphone stand in front of the guitar for background vocals. Played some great licks and had a excellent break on one of the Jerry Reed songs.
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

I saw the program too. I thought it was Paul Franklin. I also notice Fred Newell was on Banjo. Jerry Whitehurst was the musicial director on the show, so he may have hired Fred and steel player (Paul?) for that show.

I saw Jerry Reed in a show live during that aera and he didn't have a steel player on the road with him (at least at that show) The show was at The Outlaw in Tucson, AZ. I have some pictures from the show,( I wish I could post a couple) Jerry used a Peavy T-60 and had a big band but no steel player. Jerry was kicking out some pretty hot guitar that night.
Most likely, I'm wrong, but I thought it was Paul Franklin.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I saw it too and I believe it was Paul.

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I thought it was Paul too. Didn't Paul actually work for Jerry at one time?

------------------
Carter D10 9p/9k, NV400, Korg Triton Le88 Synth, Korg CX-3 organ, Yamaha Motif Rack Module, Regal Dobro, Tele, Gretsch Acoustic.

Jerry Van Hoose

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

When I was playing steel for Melba Montgomery around 77 & 78, we once did a show with Jerry Reed and I think that Mr. Franklin was with him around that time.
Junior King

Post by Junior King »

Jack Smith is Connie Smiths ,Steel players name.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Junior King on 04 February 2006 at 12:33 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Junior King on 04 February 2006 at 12:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Bailey

Post by Bill Bailey »

Larry Sasser played on the road with Jerry when I was playing in Fresno around late 70's, They played two shows at our club called the Ron Pierson's"Jamboree" Larry was pickin fast as heck back then and blew up my session while setting in with our band right in the middle of I love you because ride on C6, explosion as smoke filled the stage, what a memory.
Bill Bailey

------------------
Wayne Tyler

Post by Wayne Tyler »

Hi Guys: You are abolutely right. That was Paul Franklin. I guess what threw me was the mike stand in front of him. Possibly a prop. Also, I apologize for putting this topic in the wrong section. I don't know where I was when I posted this.
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

That was Paul - I think the reason for the mike is that he played a triangle - or whatever it is called on one song
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

Here is Paul from pop goes the country.

------------------
Justin Griffith
D-10 Blanton 8X4, D-10 Emmons P/P 8X5,Nashville 400,Matchbox 7-A,Goodrich L-10K,Walker seat.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

While you're naming names, don't forget to mention that the Lead~Guitar player and also singing Harmony was Jerry's own Lead~Man, for many years, and also a friend of mine, “Mr. Kenny Penny”!

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment

Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

And it was a Franklin guitar.