How many newbies here? 2 years or less?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

I have been playing for under 2 yrs. When I first set up my steel I admit I was freaked out by it, and I shudder to think what it sounded like when I played it.
I kept practicing (mainly to Dale Watson records) and have spent hrs doing ear training so I play in tune.
Have scored a place in a band which forced me to improve very fast, I can't tell you how far I have come since I started playing steel in a band.
I still have a long way to come though, and I find that even with basic E9 3x5 there are SO many options with how to play things.
When my new guitar arrives I will be getting into Zane Beck's tuning.
This forum has been a invaluable resource for info etc.
Damien
Jeff Hanson

Post by Jeff Hanson »

I joined in October of '05 after lurking for several months. I've really enjoyed reading the forum and the information I've gleaned from my fellow forumites has been invaluable as I've reacquainted myself with this awesome instrument. I’ve been studying and playing the six string for 38 years. I started learning the pedal steel 32 years ago and after a rather long hiatus (around 20 years) while I was raising a family and doing a lot of growing up myself, I started the learning process again about 5 years ago. I feel fortunate and blessed to have a resource like this to guide me on my continuing adventure with the steel guitar.
Kenn Geiger

Post by Kenn Geiger »

I joined the forum in October 05, Met a true friend and mentor, Larry Behm. This guy goes out of his way to help me and is genuinely interested in my learning to play. He introduced me to Jerry Roller, who not only sold me my MCI D10, but set it up, and continues to assist by answering my questions as well. A first class honest person. I have had the guitar 2 months, can't play, but I learned some cool sounds, and I am starting to find chord pockets to play out of from Larry. I'm blessed to know these guys. The music is in there, just waiting to erupt someday soon - I can feel it....

Kenn

------------------
MCI D10 - Vegas 400

Ken Yates

Post by Ken Yates »

I started again in March 05,
first tried to play in the mid 70's, but had to give it up. now i'm 62 and trying it again, much better this go around. old dog can learn new tricks after all.
Ken

------------------
Derby SD 10,,,Nashville 112,,,Hilton,,,RV-3

Sidney Ralph Penton

Post by Sidney Ralph Penton »

i first started out two years this april on a carter starter. but before that i was on a web site with all the steel mfg. they had sample songs on there from each of the psg's. i heard one play amazing grace. i was hooked. it was the most bueatiful song i ever heard played. so i got my carter starter. then about 5 months later i went to a carter U 12. big mistake too many strings. too many things to remember. so then i sold it and went to a zum steel. by the way bruce sure makes so fantastic steels and let me tell you this ole boy knows how to pic em too. well i live too far away from any one for lessons so i started trying to teach my self. i have done rather well. so now here i am almost two years later, playing my psg in churches and speaking spreading god's fantastic word using a fantastic psg to attract the croud. i have met a couple of people from the forum and i have gotten a lot of help from the forum too. so i will just keep on steeling for the lord. may god bless each and every one of you. thanks doc.

------------------
zum SD10 peavy vegas 400 peavy session 400 steelseats they are great at sales@steelseats.com
if its not a zum steel it isn't real
just trying to steel for the Lord>

Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Still just shy of two years--as a Forum member. (I've fitfully stabbled at pedal steel since 1982 and dreaming about it for about eleven years before that.) I think what Googled me here was a search for ZB information, back when I had a D-10 I couldn't tame. (I wistfully was able to track the succession of owners (five) of the perfectly good ZB S-10 that I sold to get the D-10-zilla.) With the inspiration that the Forum bestows, I have found the D-10 a good home and somehow backed into owning four S-10s (BMI, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 800--and!...another ZB (~'69). I'm improving from eternal neophyte proficiency glacially toward hopeless incompetence, but loving every minute of it, as Buddy, Lloyd, Paul, Weldon et al. lose nary a minute of sleep.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 16 January 2006 at 11:21 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Put me down. About 16 months.
I played Dobro for 25 years.
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I started out taking lessons when I was about 11 or 12. Then put the steel down for 30 years and played some 6 string. Just jams no professional playing at all. Then about a year ago I finally got serious about learning to play. Started out on E9th pedals and then 6 months back got myself a 12 string MSA lap steel (Reeces fantastic 12 string tuning) and been working with that little dude everyday. So yeah I'm a newbie. One line that I saw that said it all for me was "i'm not very good but i'll do until good gets here."

Rick
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

Im down for about two years here. started lap steel about two and a half years ago and pedal steel not long after that.
with electric guitar I am a geezer. about forty years under the strap.
Klaus Caprani

Post by Klaus Caprani »

I've been playing the pedal-steel for almost two years at this time.

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

I've been playing the pedal steel for 16 months and have been a member of this forum one month longer than that. I picked up my first guitar (a Sho-Bud Pro II Custom) at Ricky Davis' house in September 2004 and began woodshedding as soon as I got home. Before that, I had been playing 8-string lapsteel for some years in a blues band (and the Tele/Stratocaster for even more years) and had not considered upgrading to pedal steel. Until that magic day when I heard Ricky play his old D-10 Sho-Bud on Billy Dee's first CD. From that point on, I was hooked ...

Nowadays, I'm privileged to play with a very good country band that requires me to provide both Telecaster and pedal steel services. And, to my immense pleasure, I've managed to sneak my pedal steel playing into close to 50% of the blues band's repertoire.

-- Jan

------------------
<font size="1">Janjo's home page
Gear: Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8+6, Fulawka D-10 8+8, Fender Deluxe 8, Marrs/Fluger Cat-Can, Fender CS Nocaster</font>
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jan Jonsson on 17 January 2006 at 11:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Edward Burgin

Post by Edward Burgin »

I joined a little less than a year ago,after buying one of these things [steel]. I have learned a lot of good basics thanks to Tony Prior and Jay Wilson, and all of you great guys here on this forum. Buster
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I played a couple of years back in the '70s. Then I quit for over 20 years. A couple of years ago I started up again. Now I'm just as bad as I ever was. Image
Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

I joined less than a year ago. Sure enjoy it.
Jim Gorrie
Location: Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.

Post by Jim Gorrie »

I wasn't going to post on this thread until I read Bill Moran's post, coz I've been fooling with this "thing" for 20-odd years as well and still feel like a newbie !
(Managed to pick 5,6 and 8 today all at once !)
At least I'm a newbie on the forum ~ joined just under 2 months ago.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

About six months--maybe a year.
I just got an old MSA 12. In some ways I wished I had kept the Carter Starter longer.
I can't pick this new guitar better than the old one.
David Ziegler

Post by David Ziegler »

I have been playing for 14 months now and ,coming from a background of only playing brass instruments, I really started at ground zero. I have been taking lessons from Mike Sigler and that has been a great help. I don't think I could have made it on my own. At age 54 the new tricks are very hard to learn. I started on a 70's vintage Maverick and after 6 months of playing decided if I was going to do this I needed a better guitar so I graduated to a brand new s-10 GFI Ultra. Since I got a pro quality instrument I guess I need to learn to play like a pro. I have the rest of my life to learn so I might make it someday. It has been a great ride and many of you have been so supportive and I am very grateful to all of you.
Dave Ziegler
Don Walworth

Post by Don Walworth »

2 months now --- age 70. It is called "playing" and I'm really enjoying playing.... I have some training DVD's; I'm looking forward to taking lessons ASAP...

don
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

I've been a member little less than a year.Always enjoy the different post.
Dave White

Post by Dave White »

Don--Way to go! Now I don't feel so bad being a newbie at 54. I've been playing pedal steel (or more accurately, practicing) for a little over 9 weeks now, joined the forum a couple of weeks before that. Having a lot of fun, it's a great instrument.
Dave White

Post by Dave White »

Duplicate Post<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave White on 17 January 2006 at 09:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave White

Post by Dave White »

Duplicate Post<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave White on 17 January 2006 at 09:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave White

Post by Dave White »

Sorry for the multiple postings--was having trouble getting it posted on the thread.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave White on 17 January 2006 at 09:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave White

Post by Dave White »

Sorry for the duplicate postings--something wierd happening here tonight. It doesn't look like it's posting anything, than about a half hour later it appears.
Jim Blakey

Post by Jim Blakey »

I've been looking in on this forum for about 5 years. I only joined about a year ago. I've been a thumb picker ( Chet Atkins/Merle Travis) type lead guitar player for about 50 some years. I've been playing at the steel for about 4 to 5 years. I have an MSA single 10 with 4 knees and 6 on the floor and Peavy LTD 400 Amp.I have 68 Tele that I bought new in 68, of course it had a bigsby on it when I bought it new. I also have G&L tele type with Leo Fenders signature on the bridge. and a T-60 Peavy sunburst and a few other pedals and echo units and etc;