Jerry Byrd Satin Strings of Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Knight

Jerry Byrd Satin Strings of Steel

Post by John Knight »

Any CD's of this album yet??? If not any plans??

------------------
D 10 Thomas with 8&6, '61'D-10 Sho-Bud 8&3
S12 Knight 6&4
Nashville 400 and Profex II
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I'm happy to announce that arrangements were made prior to his passing and within short order, new CD's will be available of Jerry's fabulous playing. If I understand it correctly, the Monument albums will be stirred up and poured out in different combinations ultimately creating 'new' albums for our listening enjoyment. How does that sound to you?
John Knight

Post by John Knight »

Ray you'll let me know when they will be available.

Thanks Ray

------------------
D 10 Thomas with 8&6, '61'D-10 Sho-Bud 8&3
S12 Knight 6&4
Nashville 400 and Profex II
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

FLASH!!!!

Go to Cordinternational.com or, Hawaiianmusic.net

Then check out Steel Guitar or, New Releaes.

Hopes this helps!
Larry W. Jones

Post by Larry W. Jones »

Here's the link you mentioned, Ray. I noted that this is "Volume 1" which means more to come. Ka manomano! Image
http://www.cordinternational.com/jerry-bryd1.htm
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Many THANKS Larry! Yes, others are suppose to follow.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

This looks like a Great CD! I am familiar with most of these songs and they really great! Of course almost everything Jerry recorded was GREAT!

GOD bless you all!

Woody
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

"Almost great"?

Name one that wasn't, please. (only chiding)
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

<SMALL> Name one that wasn't, please. </SMALL>
Steel Guitar Romantic World.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Okay..........
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Well, if it means anything, I think "Steel Guitar Romantic World" is great. Who else would've done something like that? Who else was/is even capable?
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

I second Jeff; I still love Romantic Steel!
Chuck
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Yep, me too!

I just LOVE "STEEL GUITAR ROMANTIC WORLD!"

Some didn't like it because they didn't care for the Japanese songs, but it was GREAT!

The Japanese by the way really dig Jerry's recordings and Hawaiian music. I worked with two Japanese musicians here in America, Shoji Tabuchi and Mike Ito. Both were super players and stars at Branson, MO. Mike could sing Hawaiian songs excellent.

GOD bless!

By the way, All of Jerry's recordings were excellente!

Woody

Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Okay ANDY..........WHY didn't you like it?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Jerry's playing technique, as usual, was incredible. No other non-pedal player has ever matched his intonation and feel, yet - in my opinion, the music to which he applied his artistry on SGRM was awful stuff .... a mish-mosh of easy listening dreck. Naturally, you're entitled to hold a different opinion. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 16 November 2005 at 04:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jack Byrd

Post by Jack Byrd »

The following review of Steel Guitar Romantic World was written by Tom Bradshaw and was in one of his catalogs and I quote.

This album deserves some explanation, and not just because the Japanese language isn't easily translated into English. Jerry views this recording as his most difficult. The background music was sent to him on tape. He had never heard any of the tunes, which were Japanese pop and folk music. He learned the melodies and then created his own interpretive improvision for the necessary secondary renditions.

The technical expertise Jerry demonstrates here is truly profound, with critics recongizing the music's difficulty, prompting them to say his effort is the finest example of steel guitar artistry ever recorded. There is no Hawaiian or other delivery common to the steel guitar, except it is unmistakably Byrd. Every bar movement, be it a tone bend or gliss, comes from the feeling this incredible player has for the music he was selected to interpret with his guitar. Because musical tastes differ, some difficulty may be experienced for the listener who concludes this to be apart from what he or she is accustomed to hearing. Several listening episodes are needed before appreciation is likely to follow. End of quote.

Jerry told me some years ago that this album was recorded for release in Japan only and he never found out the details of how it ever got released in the states.

I am one of those who have a hard time with this one. I guess I don't like Japanese pop or folk music. It takes a certain type I guess. It was a quite a few years after he recorded before I ever knew it existed. Any way Jerry said it was very well received in Japan.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jack Byrd on 16 November 2005 at 05:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

THANKS Andy and Jack......... I too, had to listen to the album several times before I got really into it. It's not an album I'd ever attempt to "copy" but it IS, an album that brings more listening enjoyment to me each time I play and LISTEN to it. It certainly was no easy project for Jerry however he had to be satisfied that he successfully overcame the original, overall difficulty of making it all happen is such a super fashion. I LOVE IT!
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I was going to buy this new compilation. Can someone who has it give a good description of the sound of the CD. Was the transfer from the original master tapes??

Here is your opportunity to be a audio critic!
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

If anyone is interested I saw this on eBay
Steel Guitar Romantic World
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I would have loved to have heard Jerry play the phone-directory! Image He never played anything that I didn't admire! The strangest thing about the Romantic World Album is the Tune~Titles! Image

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Soon to be: New Burgundy D–10 Derby (w/6 & 8)
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site