Hearing problem:

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fuzzy Plant

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

Boy, I sure can sympathize with y'all. I've done a lot of shooting in years past, both at the range and hunting. I ALMOST always wore ear protection. However, back around 1980, while helping build an addition to a large building, a hole had to be drilled in the corner of the ceiling, thru the roof. I couldn't get my drill in the tight spot, so I borrowed a friend's 38 cal. Derringer and shot the hole. I hit it dead on, BUT, I couldn't hear anything except a loud, deep, low sound like a siren. This lasted almost all the rest of the day. Next day I saw the Dr. I thought I blew out my eardrums, but he said I injured the hearing nerve.
Since then I also suffer with tinnitus, lots of noise all the time. Nothing I can do about it, so I try to ignore it; that helps temporarily, but if I listen for it, it sounds loud.
Since then, I always use my Sonic plugs. However, a few weeks ago I went to a Mel Tillis show, and forgot them. My wife had tissues so I rolled some up and jammed them in my ears. Still, it was extremely loud. So, I held them in with my fingers. Two weeks later, I went to a Charlie Daniels show and brought my Sonics. Still, the music was too loud ( I was sitting in row 6, how dumb), so I found that if I put my finger tips over the valves, it worked out ok. I have some high freq. loss, and the right ear is worse than the left one. So I never play too loud anymore. These ears gotta last me a little while longer, so I need to protect them. Best advice is to protect them at all times.

Fuzzy
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

I have Tinitis, but it comes and goes. I played loud electric for years, (shot a lot of guns as well, but with earplugs mostly). I went to see Keith Emerson, was a few feet from Leslie Speaker,bad idea, bloody earwax fell out on pillow that nite! I am surprised that after all the abuse I hear very well other than the tinitis episodes. Thering is real hi-pitched in my version, BTW.

I think steelers get it a bit worse because they sit low where speakers and cymbals live at.
John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

WHAAATT???..............
Tracy Sheehan

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Thanks to all who sent me a private e mail.When i play fiddle i use a hearing aid in the left ear to help me hear the notes when playing high on the neck.I have no problem hearing low freqs.I know what the ones are saying about being stuck sittig in front of a bass amp and too close to the drums.
Ever have to sit in front of a guitar player using a fuzz tone.Don't know why but that sound gets on my nerves.lol.Tracy
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I can sympathize with all of you too that have a high frequency hearing loss. I got mine from 4 years in the Marine Corps probably and haven't been able to hear since then, and that was in 1963.

My wife is probably going to divorce me one of these days because I can't understand a word she says if there is any other noise around. I too just nod my head and smile when I don't understand and it sure has gotten me in alot of trouble,LOL.

Playing music hasn't hurt my ears but it does put me at a handy cap, especially when the singer hollers out Wine Me Up in "G" and I kick it off in "E", OR "C" or "D" and the rest of the band is in "G". They all sound the same to me.

I also play fiddle and when I play either steel or fiddle, my amp has to be in my right ear. My left ear is 85% gone so if the amps behind me or to the left, it seems to bend tones an I can't tell if I'm in tune or not.

And Jody, I haven't been able to get any help from hearing aids and the doctor says i probably won't. What brand is yours? May try them.

Henry Matthews

Tracy Sheehan

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

IF the band leader did not know how to give the key by holding finger or fingers up or down for the key i would teach them how to do that.
I learned that at a very young age.The large swing bands did that so they would not have to holler the key across the stage.
b0b,really none of my business,but do you use a fuzz on your 5 string?
I better go before i get banned.lol.Tracy
Wish could catch my typos before i post. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tracy Sheehan on 10 January 2006 at 04:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Scott Kirk

Post by Scott Kirk »

My wife recently had an operation on one of her ears. It is called a Stapedotomy.Not all hearing loss is caused from nerve damage as always thought but from a condition called Otosclerosis.This is a bony growth arond the footplate of the stapes (or one of the 3 middle ear bones)It forms a seal that prevents vibration from getting into the inner ear.The bones don`t vibrate like they should because the footplate becomes fixated.This can also cause tinnitus.The operation is pretty simple and yes my wife can now hear my Sho Bud better than ever(poor thing!)
Tracy Sheehan

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Great on her operation.Do you know if they can do one so you can't hear the drums?
As i have said B4,my hearing loss is smack dab in the freq range of the human voice.Tracy
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hi Henry. They are digital GN Resound Model 770-D Canta 7. They are also real proud of them. $4000.00. Hope to see you in Dallas. Jody.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jody Sanders on 10 January 2006 at 10:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Is this the reason my wife keeps yelling [Bama Charlie ! turn that damn thing down]?I don't understand,I only have my NV-400 on 8.
Ted Solesky

Post by Ted Solesky »

Tracy, I've been half deaf since I was 3 yrs old. I've had some serious ear surgery but my hearing has gone down as time goes on. It has affect me in hearing the bass and has hindered me in progressing.
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Played a hotel convetion center tonight. The louder they talked, the louder we had to play just to hear ourselves then they got louder! Tinnitus is cutting a hole right through the middle of my brain at this moment. Almost painful. I have no idea why they book us for this gig but gimmie a fish, I'll play a scale all night for $200 a man!

------------------
Tele-Bender-Blaster-Caster
Line 6 Amps
www.jimwalkeronline.com
Steelin' Again Too!