..."Weldon Myrick", an influence on my life...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Delbert Aldredge

..."Weldon Myrick", an influence on my life...

Post by Delbert Aldredge »

Weldon Myrick, brought picking to a new dimension with "I'll come running". When I first heard the introduction I thought WoW!...what is this person doing?...this is a sound I've never heard before! Like many, I became captivated by this new sound/style. From that time I have been Weldon's diciple.
There are other gifted players as well who have developed their style but there's a certain influence about Weldon that continues to captivate me..."cheers to Weldon!...thanks for setting an example for others to follow!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Delbert Aldredge on 02 January 2006 at 04:49 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Delbert Aldredge on 02 January 2006 at 05:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Delbert, if you haven't got your copy of "Steel Summit with the Masters" videos, then you are missing out on some of the insight Weldon Myrick brings to the discission about Steel Guitar, past and present. I found out how they were influenced early on in their careers from this video, which includes Lloyd Green, Hal Rugg and Jimmy Crawford. Jimmy and Hal are gone now, I'm sorry to say, but their contributions to the Steel Guitar and influences will always be here.
Every Steel Player should have a copy of this Video.
You can buy it here on the Forum.

Willie Crisel

Post by Willie Crisel »

Here's how I met mr. Weldon, i was playing a little jam, open mic thing, playing a Marrs s10, been playing almost a year or so,,,when we took a break this fellow came up, and said I sounded pretty good, i asked him if he played,,he said a little,so i invited him to sit in,,i went to sit with my wife, he made some adjustments,, played a lick or two, after folding up some knee levers, my wife asked me if i thought he could play,,i told her I think he's gonna be ok, after a couple of songs the band leader said we have a legend in the house tonight we have Weldon Myrick on steel,, when I picked my jaw off the floor i went and shook his hand,, super nice gentelman,,, i asked him if he had any advice, he said yea just keep playing,,, this tip is still working.
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

For me, it was Willie Nelson's "Yesterday's Wine" that made the lasting impression when I was young. That song serves as a good standard for what E9th is all about for me.
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

I've always been a fan of Weldon's. He is still a great player and most of all he's a great guy.
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Delbert---You should hear him play "Hotfoot" !! I asked him about it one time and he said "oh I just sat down and worked out the harmony notes to it and recorded it" Ohhhh . It was THAT easy, huh ?? Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Myrick on 03 January 2006 at 02:42 AM.]</p></FONT>
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I think that the ones that are "good" and nice guys to boot, like Weldon, make a lot of us feel good all the time. There is so little time in this life to help our fellow man.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

You want to hear some hot picking on pedal steel? Listen to the Johnny Bush version of "Whiskey River" that Weldon Myrick played on. It don't get any better than that.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Plus, he gets the prize for the funniest album cover of all time. (Pedalman)
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

The Johnny Bush RCA albums "Whiskey River" (Mentioned above) and "Blue In The Cold Gray Light of Dawn".

It don't git no better 'en 'at. Image

This thread reminds me that I need to dig those out and convert them to CD.

------------------
Bill Cunningham
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Weldon Myrick had a huge impact upon me. During my years with Moe Bandy, it was my task to try to duplicate Weldon's licks as best I could. His style crept into my own (well, I like to think it did Image...), and as time went on I came to appreciate what a true genius he is.

And whenever I would run into him he was just the most humble and gracious person you could ever be around. When he was on the Opry he would always try to make you feel welcome and comfortable. And once he let me stand right beside him in the studio when he was cutting one of Moe's tunes...

Superb taste and elegance with beautiful tone and great intonation. That's Weldon in my book....!
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Weldon, has inspired many of us.

The guy could and still can always pick with the best. I love his "PedalMan L.P." and it is on CD now. It has been a favorite steel for years. I just never tire of it.

GOD bless you Weldon!

Terry J. Wood
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I don't have enough time to say what Weldon has meant to me. When I was very young Weldon took me under his wing and helped me in so many ways. He gave me great advice, I just wish I had followed more of it. On Saturdays my Dad would take me to the Sho-Bud store in the morning and that evening I would go backstage at the Opry. Weldon would let me sit on stage near him when he played. Then he would take me home after the Opry. Weldon is truly a hero and dear friend.

------------------

Johnny Cox
MSA Millennium D10, Legend D10/12,
10 string Super Slide. Peavey Nashville 112, Walker Seats, John Pearce Strings and Bars, Goodrich Volume Pedals and a bunch of other stuff.

Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

I was sitting at home in Florence, S.C. one day many years ago and my phone rang. That was my first 'introduction' to Weldon. He told me he was no longer able to work the road with Connie Smith and asked if I wanted to come to Nashville and audition for the job. I did, and two weeks later was on the road with Connie. Trouble is, that was the same week that 'I'll Come Runnin' hit the airwaves. Thanks a lot Mr. Myrick! Needless to say,I didn't even come close, but, in my opinion, none of the other steelers she had after that did either. Wonderful players that they were, and still are, no one could match the fire in Weldons playing of that song and all the others he cut with Connie and a host of other artists.
Weldon Myrick....a Legend in the truist sense of the word.
rh
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

<SMALL>Here's how I met mr. Weldon, . . .this fellow came up, and said I sounded pretty good, i asked him if he played,,he said a little, . . .</SMALL>
Boy, you can always tell the real professionals: they know how real professionals behave!
Steve Dodson

Post by Steve Dodson »

Weldon Myrick, a first class gentleman all the way. I was lucky enough back in the 70's to see and hear first hand, Weldon playing his tune Hot Foot. If you ever see him play that tune in person, you won't ever forget it.
ebb

Post by ebb »

if you want to see how harmonized scales can drive a song you have to study his work on the moe bandy hits. just perfect!
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I love to tell this story so here it comes again. Weldon is from West Texas as most of us know. I have an uncle who lives out there and he told me about a good steel player he saw in Big Springs years ago. He said the steeler moved off and he never knew what happened to him. I asked what the steel players name was and my uncle told me it was Weldon Myrick. I said he has been the staff steel player on the Grand Ole Opry for 25 years. I found it to be unique that my uncle would remember one name after all the years that had went by. Weldon Myrick made that big of an impression on my uncle with his playing. As they say the rest is history. He is one steel player I have never seen in person and I would love to se him perform at the Texas show.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

<SMALL>Wonderful players that they were, and still are, no one could match the fire in Weldons playing of that song and all the others he cut with Connie and a host of other artists.</SMALL>
I agree! I've heard some of the best that's out there attempt that intro. Nobody's ever played it as good as Weldon did back then.