Ashoken Farewell and Tara

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roy Thomson

Ashoken Farewell and Tara

Post by Roy Thomson »

I was first drawn to this song by a young "Violin" Musician who attended Acadia University here in my home town of Wolfville in 1993/94. Her name was Tara Lynn Touesnard and she was a Music Student at the time.

Tara was one of the most talented musicians I have ever met and when not studying on campus she could be found off campus playing shows, benifits, TV etc ,,,,and not only classical. She could play hoedowns, jigs, reels and waltzs with the best and never failed to bring the crowds to their feet. On several occasions when her piano player was not available, she asked me to back her on rhythm guitar and these experiences were always memorable and most enjoyable for me.

Her signature instrumental was Ashoken Farewell and when she played it, you could hear a "pin drop".

A career in Music however for Tara was not to be. In April of 1994 in the early morning hours on a slippery main highway to Halifax,
on route to do a breakfast television appearance, she and her sport car with Fiddle
on board slid across the centre line into an on-coming eighteen wheeler. Her death sent the community and Eastern Canada into shock. She will never be forgotten in music circles here in Nova Scotia and beyond.

An Internet Student asked for this song on E9th Pedal Steel yesterday and while working on it here this day I was flooded with memories of a beautiful talented young woman whom I had the pleasure of knowing when our paths crossed for just a short time almost ten years ago.

Here is a link to our arrangement of Ashoken Farewell. http://freefilehosting.net/?id=qtj2m6nR

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Larry Bell has a nice pedal steel solo version of this song. Check out his web site.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Thanks David -- you are too kind

Roy -- what a touching story. Ashokan Farewell is a very emotional song on its own and your connection to it and the sad ending makes it even moreso. It is a beautiful rendition.

I remember it from the Ken Burns 'Civil War' series on PBS and had assumed it was a traditional tune from that period, but it is not. It was written by a fiddler named Jay Ungar in celebration of fiddle and dance camps and events he and his partner Molly Mason have conducted since the 1970s at a place called Ashokan in the Catskill Mountains, near Woodstock, New York.

Cool tune -- great interpretation.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 13 December 2005 at 02:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Lloyd has a very nice version on his most recent CD.
JE:-)>

------------------
Emmons D10 8/4 P/P -75'
Fessenden SD-10 3/5
MSA SD-12 4/4 - 76'
76'Session 400
86'Nashville 400
Bandit 112

Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

That's really pretty, Roy. I too have Larry's version on my hard drive. Thank's for sharing it.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum SD12U, Carter D10 8/8, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Simply beautiful Roy! Thank you so much for sharing.

Respectfully,
Dave Burr
Kenny Drake

Post by Kenny Drake »

Jim, you have a talent for understatement. I think Lloyd's is one of the best renditions ever recorded. It has "Lloyd Green" all over it.
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

I appreciate very much the kind remarks above! Thank You!
Here is another link to my Ashoken arrangement if any had a problem with the
one in my original post. http://members.cox.net/loveridehd/ASHOKENFAREWELLRT.mp3

This song,with several others I have done are available with complete ClicTablature and in the case of Ashoken,
my classical guitar back up track.
I send all my files including MP3's via email attachment the day they are ordered.
Email me for details:
roythomson@eastlink.ca

Thanks again everyone.

Roy
Glenn Womack

Post by Glenn Womack »

Pretty Song. I had heard it before somewhere, but didn't know the title of it. Some good pickers sprinkled around in this community.