Connie Smith recordings, who's playin?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David C. Wright

Connie Smith recordings, who's playin?

Post by David C. Wright »

I'm a new steeler, so naturaly I now hear the steel more in the music I listen to. Just wondering who played on Connie Smith's sessions? I really like the tone, style...etc.

------------------
D.C. Wright
GFI SD10P Fender Deluxe Reverb
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

WELDON
David C. Wright

Thanks Larry. I was guessing Lloyd or Hal. I was listening to a new Martina cd, she's doing some old tunes, and the steel lick on "Once A Day" is identical (pretty much note for note) to the one on Connie's version. Wonder who played on the Martina session?
Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

Paul Franklin

------------------
Sho-Bud PRO-I, 4&5
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

As for Connie, Weldon played most of those crazy intros on the classic Connie Smith recordings, but don't forget Russ Hicks who also can be heard on some great CS stuff - Listen to his intro on "There Goes My Everything"! Image

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Yea, the steel lick on Once A Day is one of them that if you ain't playin' it like the record, then people think "he don't know what he's doin' yet...".<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 06 December 2005 at 05:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Weldon Myrick played on the RCA and some Columbia recordings. These recordings were the major part of Connie's recording career. Lloyd Green did some Columbia sessions and Jack Smith did a live album. Gary Hogue did the Warner Brothers CD in the late 90s. The most current Connie record is a gospel CD with Barbara Fairchild and Sharon White Skaggs. Paul Franklin did the steel on that.

Johnny<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 06 December 2005 at 11:22 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 06 December 2005 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

The Columbia album "I Don't Wanna Talk It Over Anymore" (Columbia KC 34270) has Lloyd Green, Buddy Emmons and Jimmy Day playing!

Also, John Hughey did some of the Columbia sessions for her.

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Doyle Huff

Post by Doyle Huff »

I saw Johnny Cox with Connie in Kansas City a few years back. He was doing all thse intro's just like they were supposed to be done.
Doyle
David C. Wright

Thanks to all of you.. my horizons are expanded. I knew ya'll would give me more than just the answer. I appreciate it.

------------------
David.C. Wright
GFI SD10P Pod Fender Deluxe Reverb

Dennis Shellhouse

Post by Dennis Shellhouse »

Anybody know who's touring steel with her now? I have not seen Gary Carter in awhile.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

A friend of mine by the name of Eddie Lange is holding down the chair.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

And Eddie is a fine player that seems to know every intro and turn around in the business. And he plays them well.