Where are your favorite gigs? clubs, shows

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Where are your favorite gigs? clubs, shows

Post by Johnny Cox »

I have often wondered what type of jobs different players enjoy. I love the challenge of the recording studio and stage shows are ok. Steel shows make me nervous, too many other steel players in the place. My favorite job to play is an old fasioned Texas dance hall. These dances give me the time on stage to really get into the music. For me,a one or one and a half hour stage shows that are all predetermined sets leave me bored. There is nothing like a dance floor full of people two steppin to a Ray Price, Johnny Bush or Darrell McCall song that makes me want to play more. I am fortunate that the majority of my work is doing just that. Having said all that, the biggest thrill of my life was the first time I played the Grand Ole Opry December 18th, 1973 with Del Reeves. And the last time with Connie Smith, and everytime in between.
So what's your favorite and why?

Johnny
Leland Ogle

Post by Leland Ogle »

I'm with you Johnny. I play in church, play in a cowboy church band at rodeo's, and on the bandstand. I enjoy it all, but I have a special place in my heart for 4/4 shuffles with a crowded dance floor. I played for 6 years at a family type barn dance, I love to watch people dance.
Lee
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

Got to agree with you about playing the dances. I love it when a certain song packs the dance floor and the band leader starts handing out extra solos. I notice that Ray Price refers to his gigs as dances. I also love what we call potted plant gigs. Just sit in the corner, play what ever you want and hopefully make the place a sweeter deal.
Ronnie Green

Post by Ronnie Green »

The good old fashioned honkytonks. What few there are left.
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

I like anyplace that's an old dancehall with soft lights and hard country music. Take last weekend, Justin Trevino at Pearl's Dancehall in Cowtown with Johnny Cox on a T-11 Zum and Jim Loessberg on drums.

I had to leave after the first set and go woodshed. Best 10 bucks I've spent in years.

-MG

P.S. - For playing a gig, the best one yet was playing the dance on Thursday at Bob Wills days at Turkey last year. Hopefully we'll get to play again this year.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Michael Garnett on 30 November 2005 at 03:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Will Sevy

Post by Will Sevy »

Honky-tonks! all the way.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I'm a Honky Tonk Man, always have been but I do wish I could play them dancehalls where you are. The rest of them big venues don't impress me much.
Jack Dougherty

Post by Jack Dougherty »

I will play where ever anyone will have me...
But the club scene is hard now...My eyes and my lungs have had enough smoke for a life time...I like a good VFW now and again..good hours..mostly done at 10 pm. and home before the roosters get up....And of course recording.....That's fun stuff....And not to forget...Dinner with Johnny and Joan...

JD
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

My all time favorite gig was one we used to do every Sunday afternoon at Bill Mraz Dancehall, the oldest dancehall in Houston Texas. The place burned down and was never rebuilt. It was a big place and stereotypical of what one might expect of a Texas dancehall. The crowd was older people and we did a lot of 2 step tunes and older country with a good many waltz numbers as well. Other than that one, I always enjoyed the county fair gig and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Trail ride dance. The trail ride dance was full of real cowboys and cowgirls fresh off the road and they really appreciated the music and made us feel welcome. They would keep coming up to the stage and putting drinks at our feet and asking if we wanted BBQ and stuff like that. The small bars we did were ok, but there were a lot of nights that we played to a lot of empty chairs. I stopped playing guitar to concentrate on learning the steel, but all in all, I really don’t miss the gigs since the steel keeps me occupied.....James
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

My favorite gigs,are the ones that pay money,& the more,the better!! Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

I'm an old stick in the mud...I'm too lazy to go out and play (sadly, most of the people who used to hound me on the phone to play out live with them don't anymore because I'm always politely turning them down...and I say "sadly" because I miss being wanted...). I truly love having my rig in one place -- in my studio, so I can play for myself and record on my terms any time I desire). However, I work in the dementia unit of an assisted living facility, and on 12/22 I am going to pull all my crap out to play some Christmas songs on my pedal and lap (and fiddle!) along with a couple of coworkers -- and this could quite possibly be the most rewarding show I've ever done.

Al
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I know what you guys are saying about the Texas dance hall gigs. I played a few of those and really loved it. I wanted to move down there and had some pretty good offers but couldn't get it together.

The most fun I ever had on stage was back in the late 70's/early 80's in San Fransisco in the punk/new wave/art music era. It was a truly wild and fun scene to put it very mildly. That was back when I was a kid with a floored gas pedal and no breaks or steering wheel.

In NYC my gigs are so different all the time I never know what is going to be happening or not. I do love playing with the band Hem and when I get to play open improvised music with great players.

Bob
Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Johnny,
For me it's a love of "dim lights, thick smoke and loud, loud music".....especially in a crowded Tx dancehall on a Saturday night. When you look at the dance floor and all you can see is bodies...doesn't get any better in opinion.
Gary
Ray Uhl

Post by Ray Uhl »

Johhny, glad to see you started this thread. I have always loved playing for dances. I don't drink or smoke, but there's something about "honky tonks" that turn me on. I only wish we had more in the KC area that hired Country bands. Fortunately, we have quite a few VFW's, Eagles, Moose Lodges, American Legions, etc., that quinch my thrist. Image

I would love to come to Texas and hear all you Texas players. To me Nashville should be dropped from the traditional Country scene, and Texas become the Country Music capital. (Oh, boy, I bet I get hammered on this one. Image ) You and Joan are two of my favorites.
Mark Fasbender

Post by Mark Fasbender »

I prefer honky tonks. The closer to a trailer park, the better.
I dont care for the smoke though but you cant beat the ambiance.

------------------
Got Twang ?

Mark

Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Ray, you don't wanna watch Johnny play, he'll make you want to quit.

-MG
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

At one time you couldn't pry me out of an ole' honky tonk but for the last year I've been in a duo on the entertainment staff at the Sandestin Beach Hilton Golf Resort & Spa. $$$. During the summer we play right out on the deck between the swimming pools and the Gulf Of Mexico. They don't call this the bikini state for no reason. They Love Old Country Too! We play alot of other stuff also. It's all Senioritas and Margaritas for me man.

------------------
Tele-Bender-Blaster-Caster
Line 6 Amps
www.jimwalkeronline.com
Have You Seen This Steel Guitar?

Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

<SMALL>Steel shows make me nervous, too many other steel players in the place.</SMALL>
I have yet to see any evidence of this. However, your sitting in the audience at my last TSGA appearance achieved the same result Image
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Honky Tonks, when they are packed to the gills..and groovin' on the music...

Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

I don't play many gigs, but I look forward to New Year's Eve every year in Junction at the Community Center. I've played there with my brother's band for about the last 7 years. Lots of family and just a good fun time. Will be there again this year.

------------------
Sho-Bud PRO-I, 4&5
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

At home in the honky-tonks ....
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Just give me a good old Texas side of the road beer joint where you can still play Bush,Price,Stewart etc. Sadly there are only a handfull of these places left anymore and they usually don't pay that great.

It's sad, last night at Billy Bobs, the band leader was telling us how he played one of the "A" rooms in the Fort Worth Stockyards and the club owner came out in the middle of Cotton Eyed Joe and gave him the cut it off signal. The Dance floor was packed and he told the singer "don't play that crap only play top 40". Are the good times really over for good?

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

I always had lot of fun playing in Honky Tonks, but I especially liked the dancehalls where I could "stretch" a little bit.
Richard
John Knight

Post by John Knight »

Nice thread Johnny.
I get the biggest kick out playing anywhere there is an appreciative crowd. I use to love playing in places like Gabe's, that is where I first caught you and Big Jim Murphey playing same night. But smoked filled bars are just not that much of a turn on anymore. I don't like the way I feel the morning after. Getting older I guess.

------------------
D 10 Thomas with 8&6, '61'D-10 Sho-Bud 8&3
S12 Knight 6&4
Nashville 400 and Profex II
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

Yes! Honky tonks, trailer parks, cheap beer and a dance floor. It does not get any better.