Is It True About String Changing

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Greg Sullivan

Is It True About String Changing

Post by Greg Sullivan »

Since I am not a steel player per say, I am
a trombonist and trumpet player. I have a question.

Many players change strings often, others I have heard dont. their reason is that the sound is mellow and sweeter than trying to break in a new set prior to playing. New strings have that metallic tone which is undertstandable. My strings on my Dual Pro are over 3 years old and still have that bite and sweet tone, can anyone give me the pro or con's on this. I am aware that on pedal steel where the strings are constantly being stretched it is necessary and that may be best to change strings often, but on a non pedal guitar is this necessary. I understand that the great Tom Morell seldom changes his strings. Can anyone offer a suggestion? I am aware that certain chemicals from the body and excessive perspiring cause strings to deteriate. Any commets are welcome and will be appreciated.

Greg Sullivan<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Greg Sullivan on 30 October 2005 at 11:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

I can see both sides of this debate. There is one absolute, that eventually the wear or corrosion on a string will effect its ability to produce an "in tune" vibration and it becomes useless on an instrument. Having said that, there is a valid argument for those who prefer the sound of broken in strings. I let the instrument tell me. I have some guitars that without a doubt sound their best with fresh strings. Then again I have some that I cringe when I have to get past the new string break in period. Your playing style, expectation of the tone and preference for type of string of course play some roll in this, I'm sure. In music and art there is no right or wrong, just what is right or wrong for you.
Greg Sullivan

Post by Greg Sullivan »

Thank you
Much appreciated
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Greg, trombone is a slide instrument and made of a metal alloy noy steel but, close enough. hehe I picked up soprano trombone cause yeah I'm odd Image
it's a trombone that sounds like a trumept. Identity crisis Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by AJ Azure on 30 October 2005 at 02:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

*<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 13 November 2005 at 11:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

It's also relative to your body chemistry.
Some people kill strings fast by their hand oils.
Others don't.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I think everyone agrees that acoustic guitars sound better with new strings. With electric guitars it not as important. Some people don't care for the brassy sound of fresh strings on an electric. But there is a limit to how long strings will sound good and play in tune. After a month or two, they begin to get a little dull and erratic. Some of the new polymer coated strings sound pretty good a very long time, even on acoustics; but I haven't tried them on steel.
Michael Whitley

Post by Michael Whitley »

What Joey said. We have a guitarist who sits in sometimes. When he does, every guitar he touches needs re-stringing the next day. Me, I don't give off whatever he does, and I don't play paying gigs much, so I don't change strings much. I am more guided by a string's smoothness than its lack of crispness - I don't dislike the mellow tone, but I do mind the feel of old, rusty strings. Takes the fun out.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Hey Guys

This is what I have done for years. I change a set of strings and the tune the string about 1/2 tone high than 440 and let it sit for a day or two while I play it. then I bring it down to 440 and vice versa, It works for me because the tensions helps keep the strings in tune and you dont have that metallic sound which I dont like.

My quad has strings on it that are orginals from 57 and it still sounds and plays great
I play it about 2 hours for about two days a week. Try it it really works
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

I change the unwound strings much more often than the wound ones.
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I let the strings tell me when its time to change. When they get difficult to tune its time. I also wipe my guitar and strings down after I play it every time even if I only played a few minutes.

Rick
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

It's kinda easy to tell when it's getting close to string~changing time on a PSG, because; the Nylon~Tuner adjustments begin to need more tweaking than usual! On the non-pedal steel they'll last for a long, long time, however; it always seems so refreshing to me, to replace all the strings within about (2)± months! (I personally prefer the brighter new sound!) Old dull strings sound like cardboard to me especially on the lower wound strings!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site