New to the Forum - Can you help me out?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Linda Reed

New to the Forum - Can you help me out?

Post by Linda Reed »

I have just received a Fender Double8 Stringmaster. I am just now learning to play, so any input would be appreciated. I have a couple of questions? Does anyone know what year my Stringmaster might me? The serial # is 4096. What tunings would a beginner need to start out with, on each neck.

Thank you for your help.
Linda Reed - Fender Double8 Stringmaster
(I am Nick Reed's wife)
Dana Duplan

Post by Dana Duplan »

Welcome aboard Linda! A D8 Stringmaster is my number one too! You can date these by removing the tuner pan, which will reveal a month and year penciled in the cavity. You can get an approximate era by the case--providing it's original:
'50's would be tweed
ca. 1960-1962 would be brown tolex
after that, black tolex

As for tunings--it's a personal preference thing, and depends on the kind of music you like. I would focus on one tuning to start with--a 6th based tuning, either A6 or C6. If you are into Western Swing, Cindy Cashdollar's videos are a good place to start--C6 with a G on top, or Herb Remington's are good too--A6 with an E on top. The same tuning really, just one pitched higher than the other. If you got both sets of videos, you could string one neck with C6, and one A6, then you wouldn't have to transpose. I would just focus on one tuning, which will keep you going for many years! I also use an E13th tuning, but honestly, about 90% of what I do is on a 6th tuning, and I could get by doing 100%!!

Dana<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dana Duplan on 04 November 2005 at 01:24 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dana Duplan on 04 November 2005 at 01:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hi Linda and welcome to the Forum. I started out with the C6 tuning and never regretted it. There seems to be a lot more instructional material for C6 and with it you can play Hawaiian, "Ole Timey" Country, Western Swing, some jazz and Blues and if you ever get to hear Roy Thomson play You'll really get to hear what can be done with it. As for the other neck there's a multitude of beautiful tunings out there depending on what kind of music you want to learn. I have a Fender Stringmaster T-8 and have C6, B11, and A6. Check out this link to get an idea about different tunings

Steel Guitar Tunings
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Welcome, Linda! As Dana suggested, a sixth-based tuning such as C6 or A6 is a great tuning for one neck. For the other, I'd suggest what some call E13 and others E6/7. From bass string to treble, it's as follows:
G#
E
C#
B
G#
E
D
B

There are many variations, but this one works well for me. Enjoy your Stringmaster!

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

Thank you all so kindly for the information. I had a friend call Fender with the serial # 4096 and they said it was made between 1954-1959. I dont think the case is original.

Does any one know how to get the original color back, it has a lot of yellowing. The original color (I Think) is like Cindy Cashdollars.

Thank you all again for answering my questions.

Linda Reed - Fender D8 Stringmaster
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

The yellowing is something collectors and old guitar freaks like me look for. You might get rid of some of it with a good polish and cleaning, but it kinda kills the "patina", if you know what I mean.
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Linda, I just bought a Stringmaster D8 from a local( not the one that just sold on e-bay) serial #5098. It has a black case. I sent some pic's via e-mail to someone very knowledgeable with these guitar's,(not naming him out of respect) if he want's to comment he can. He identified mine as approx. a 1955 model with original case.
Ron
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

Ron, you just made my day. It is very special to me, it being my first. Now, I feel like it is Christmas.

Thank you all for helping me out.
Linda Reed - Fender D8 Stringmaster
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Linda, can you post a picture of your guitar? I'm sure all here would love to see it. If you have a picture but don't know how to post it email it to me and I will post it for you. Loveridehd@aol.com
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

Andy,
Check your E-mail. Thanks Linda
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Linda sent me these photos of her Stringmaster to post for her.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Linda, your Stringmaster might be a blonde - the one in Cindy Cashdollar's video is ivory. But even if yours was originally ivory, yellowing is not such a bad thing. It's caused by time, atmospheric conditions and cigaret smoke. I have a vintage Stratocaster that was cream colored when I bought it new, and now it's a lovely shade of rat's-teeth orange. Thousands of people in hundreds of bars smoked millions of cigarets to make it the gorgeous color it is today, and I wouldn't want to disrepect them by attempting to restore the original color . .

This gag "5neck Stringmaster" pic illustrates the 2 shades. The 57 T8 is ivory and the 63 D8 is blonde.
Maybe yours is the color it's meant to be, I couldn't say for sure without seeing it . .

Please think twice before applying any cleaners or chemical compounds to that beautiful vintage nitrocellulose veneer. Yellowing doesn't really devalue a Stringmaster, but damage to the finish might.

There sure is a whole lot of excellent advice about tunings in this thread already, so . .

Have fun with it!!
A Stringmaster is a wonderful thing. Image

RA
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 04 November 2005 at 04:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Okay, I did that post before I saw the pics of your Stringmaster.
It's definitely a blonde!

(edited to say) and it looks totally cool Image
it's been played . .<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 04 November 2005 at 04:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Linda
I have owned my D-8 Seringmaster for
around 45 years and it has plenty of
dings & scratches - yours has a lot of
class - just as it is .
as for tunings The 6th tunings are grate
for what ever you want to play , but ! what
ever ones you choose to use , stay with
them and learn every thing you can about
them . you will hear all kinds of suggestions