Martina McBride

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

joe long

Post by joe long »

Although I have not been a Martina McBride fan in the past I am now. I'm kinda of from the ole school. If Ernest Tubb didn't do it then it ain't country.

I thought it was one of the best mixed TV specials that I have seen. You could actually hear and see the musicians. I only wish the Grand Ole Opry TV telecast had the same mix to it. By mix I am referring to the actual sound quality where you can actually hear the steel player.

It was great to hear Wayne and Paul and actually get to see some excellent views of them.
Just my 2 cents.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Hey Darvin,

I did not see the show, but it sounds like it must have been Gordon Mote on piano Image.
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

John, It WAS Gordon Mote on piano on the PBS show. She introduced him by name after she sang "Let It Be Me" Jason
Steve Dodson

Post by Steve Dodson »

Way to go Theresa,your right own. Image
And may I add that I think Martina, Wayne Dahl, and Theresa all three are class act's.
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Charles,
I'm turning the other cheek, and I'm referring to the lower cheeks. Pucker up!</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
......and I thought I was the only one you told that to Image! I'll have to stand up and take your side on this one<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Weirauch on 17 October 2005 at 09:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Alright, T! You go, girl... Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Macy on 17 October 2005 at 09:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I was impressed with the videography too, they did a pretty good job showing the musicians as they were playing. They didn't show the piano when the steel was playing etc. as a lot of TV shows do.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

When someone comes out with solid Country effort I guess what is needed for others not to record it is to slam the effort. Martina should be congratulated for the effort which I might add I like. It may not be the producer friendly thing to do,But she jumped right into the water...Not only did the pickers get to play, maybe,just maybe other artist will at least attempt a like effort. If the crying moaners who say Country is dead want to put down attempts like Martinas,and others who have the spot light to do it and get it heard,then just be part of the reason trad Country is struggling to get airplay..I have not bought a CD in a while but this one I will .I may have heard and done most all the songs before many times.But this is a refreshing new release..PS its ok to scream if you get paid good to do it. Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 18 October 2005 at 07:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

In this sad state of country music (or the lack of more pure traditional country) it is valiant beyond words to defy the stuff the producers are demanding these days. I wish more would follow her efforts regardless of what some say. Remember what a pounding Conway took when he made his transition from Rock to C&W? There have been others aside from him. Fact is, Martina was always playing in our ball park. I believe she had just to cator to the likes of the labels at times. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 17 October 2005 at 07:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gerald Menke

Post by Gerald Menke »

I have heard Martina's new one "Timeless", and although her voice doesn't really thrill me, it was VERY brave of her to do an album of classic country covers in 2005, hell the first song is "You Win Again"!! Paul's playing is just gorgeous throughout of course, and the the whole album is just as dry as a bone, says in the liner notes they kept the whole thing analog, used no plug-ins, hardly any EQ or compression. One of the most dynamic albums I've heard in a long time, full of great songs, great playing and great sounds. I could have done without "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden", but hey last time I checked Martina is a muli-platinum artist and I am an unknown steel player with a day job, so clearly she wins.

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I wish some other artists would do projects like this one...I've heard a couple of songs off the album and really enjoyed them...everyone involved did a magnificent job!I WILL buy this record...

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

Any performer who gets to the professional level of a Martina McBride is talented above and beyond the average. Whether or not she performs in the venue of our choice is an individual preference. There is a distinct difference between an "artist" and a journeyman. You could see that difference displayed in people such as Chet Atkins and Buddy Emmons for example. I am glad that Martina elects to record music using a PSG so that our instrument gets heard by a variety of audiences.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

I bought the record today at Target--they have a special edition that has 22 tracks instead of the 18 on the regular release. $9.99, too Image

Really nice record...
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Thanks John! Target it is! Image
Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

I'm confused... Is it a PBS show, or a CMT show, or the same thing airing both places??
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Dave,
Martina has 2 specials. The CMT special uses her band with Wayne Dahl.
The PBS special uses Paul and others on the first half hour and then her band.

These specials are to promote her new cd released yesterday "Timeless".
I'm listening to it now "You Win Again" it's awesome! It has 22 track as John mentioned, what a bargin.

When these artist record these traditional cd's we should support them.
Record sales dictate alot of what is recorded.

David Mason

Post by David Mason »

So now both Martina McBride and Clint Black have released "traditional" country albums with lots of steel guitar, and Loretta Lynn has released a punk-rock album? I used to wonder if things were going to keep getting wierder for a while before they got normal again, but I had to stop asking that question.... Image
Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

Talked to Paul F at the NTSGA Super Jam a couple of weeks ago.HE did the session with Martina..and was real Excited about it! May be he can weigh in on it .since he was there!! I heard a few cuts from it on a GMC review show.Sounded good to me!
Grouchy
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

Wal-Mart has Martina's CD packaged with a 30 minute DVD about the making of the project. They have comments by several musicians, including Steve Gibson, Eddie Bayers, and Paul Franklin.
George Crowder

Post by George Crowder »

I just bought Martina's new CD "Timeless" and I'm listening to it as I write this. She is fantastic. High notes, low notes, great feeling. I've been listening to country music for over 60 years. That puts me back in the "hillbilly music" days and it doesn't get any better than this.
Ted Solesky

Post by Ted Solesky »

Sorry that I missed the show. Will someone please post when that show will air again. I'd really like to see it.