Deep thanks from Orbit to Earth

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Robinson

Deep thanks from Orbit to Earth

Post by Steve Robinson »

Forum Family,

Holy cow, I finally got a day off and logged in to my favorite forum to see what's new and was surprised to see my name in the subject line, then shocked to see how many folks replied, and then just about overwhelmed when I read all the great wishes and welcome homes. Just when I thought I had already experienced the most incredible events!

I love the sound of steel, and you real players are my heroes. The Spirit Marlen is teaching me to play, and Farris' little ProI humbles me regularly too. I love the history and sound of both, for different reasons. And I can't tune either one worth a hoot.

Ricky is a champion among men, but you know that. As you mentioned, Howard, they only send guys like me up 'cause Ricky's too busy to go.

Cohen, Jon, Bruno, and Bryan -you had me laughing out loud! I'm taking those captions to the office.
Mike - Del's playing sounds even better in zero-g.
Farris - I have seldom met a finer gentleman. Been to Marrs - HA!
Nic - "Spacewalk", great idea!!!!

There are so many stories from this mission, they wouldn't fit even if this actually WERE a space forum. It was an experience like no other.

Thanks sincrely for your prayers, support, and good wishes, and especially your jokes. I'm way beyond honored. Think I'll go plug in that Marlen...
As I said, you folks are my heroes.

Steve

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Steve,
We really enjoyed your trip, as best we could.
You've got one of the prettiest steels I've ever seen.
Welcome back to Steelerville.
CMcD
Joy Wofford

Post by Joy Wofford »

Welcome home, Steve. Glad you all got back safe and sound.

My husband and I (he's Steve, also) followed all of your recent "adventures" with great admiration...and I must admit, even greater envy.

I hope you write a tune about all of it? That could be interesting...!

Joy
Joey Gaskins

Post by Joey Gaskins »

Welcome home Steve. It really felt great to know "one of us" was on that flight. Great job on the repair. You must have done it right. It's a pleasure to be a forumite with you.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Steve;
Thanks for doin' what you do. About 1989 I got to climb all over the orbiter mockup at JSC (the one with the arm on it), the air bearing table, but could not get into the flight deck simulator 'cause Sally Ride was giving her parents the tour.
You folks have neat toys. Them roman candles you set atop ain't no road flares either.
It was almost as much fun watchin' ya ride the arm as a human end effector as you musta had being one.
Those two little doo-dads you removed from the heat shield slots reminded me of the pull tabs we yank from the photocopier refills Image
Great Job! May you enjoy many more.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 11 August 2005 at 05:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
ebb

Post by ebb »

you picked the perfect instrument for making repairs underneath although i don't think ricky uses duct tape. you are also the only steel player on earth that can afford the trip http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1767582005
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Two thumbs up, Steve. How'd you like that Canada arm ? We're very proud of it.
All the best,
-John

------------------
www.ottawajazz.com
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Wow.. Steve..VERY glad all went went on the flight... The entire country had its collective heart in throat for a few days.. All the media was abuzz about "protuding tile insulation", "foam fragments" etc etc.. I don't know about "real players" being heroes, you and your mission collegues are a better fit for that particular title. Its an honor having you among us! bob
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Welcome back, Steve. So happy you had a good, safe flight and made it back home safe.

Lem
Doyle Mitchell

Post by Doyle Mitchell »

Welcome home Steve, these steel players are my heros too, but guys like you are also, you get to do what I can only dream about. I seen on TV last night that some company is planning on offering trips to the moon for the rich and famous, think that will ever happen in our lifetime? Oh well, leaves me out anyway.I would be too scared even if I could afford it!
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Steve I`m glad you made it home safely. Now the real work is ahead of you sitting behind the steel Image
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Welcome back, Steve! If they ever do get the public on space trips, they will need a good band, so you'll have to be the "Space Steeler" with the "Spirit Steel". HA! Pic a tune on the "Spirit Steel" for me, for old times not forgotten! James
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

Welcome home Steve!

Glad all went well. You crack me up...just like the rest of us here, ya get a free moment and head over to the Steel Guitar Forum!

Tom Jordan
Elizabeth West

Post by Elizabeth West »

OK Steve.
I think you have to be one of the braevest Steel picker.I wonder how many of us would like to play the steel upside down. You'd think Buddy could do it.I've heard he's good.
Welcome back to Earth from B.C.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Steve,
We're all mighty proud of you. We were all watching and rootin for you here in Nashville, TN. I'm an Engineer at the FOX TV affillate in N'ville so I got to watch the landing as we were airing it. Also, I told all the boys in my band "Country Junction" about you being a fellow Steel Player and about that great looking Marlen of yours. Hope to meet you in person sometime. Hey, are you coming to the Convention in St. Louis?
Nick Reed

Our website:
www.countryjunctionband.com
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

Good job repairing the shuttle, Steve.

Now when you have time, I have a 10 yr. old Chevy truck that could use a little attention.... Image
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Hi Steve, welcome back home. I don't know you personally but I sure am proud of you.
Jerry
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Welcome home and congratulations, Steve. That sure is a pretty guitar you have.....
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Steve ,You proved anything can be repaired, With the help of duct tape. Welcome home.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Bob, did you know that you and Steve have something in common? You BOTH have one of my guitars THAT I WANT BACK! Image
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

I have followed the landing of the shuttle much closer than other times.
I had my fingers crossed.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Way to go Steve; Glad ya'll made a safe landing(I watched ya land> too cool man).
We are all proud of you and your team; but if you get the call to go on the Marrs trip, I wanna go on that one pal..??ha...
Now that your a National Hero(at least in my book); you get one Free Lesson and Spirit Marlen Tune-up from yours Truly. Oh and I wore the Blue NASA golf shirt you sent me; on the Golf course the day you landed pal...> I told everyone: "This one's for Steve"!!!
Now get some rest.
Ricky
Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Hi Steve,
I'm kinda' your "across town" neighbor. I live on the westside in Cypress. If I can ever be of any help or assistance, I'm here for you.
Thanks for your service to our country and your love of music. I'm so glad and thankful that you had a good trip around the world a few times and made it back safely.
God Bless,
BB
Bobby Bowman

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com

Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Welcome home, Steve! All of us around here are mighty proud of you! Seems the hero street goes both ways. Image

------------------
My best,
Ernie
www.buddyemmons.com

Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

We're mighty proud of steeler Steve's extraordinary journey over here in Sweden as well. The pictures from the space shuttle were simply breathtaking.

And Ricky: will that "Marrs trip" you mention be to Madison, TN, or to that reddish planet? Image

-- Jan

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8/4, Fender Stringmaster S-8, Fender CS Nocaster