update on my rick

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andre Nizzari

update on my rick

Post by Andre Nizzari »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7356599604

I just wanted to know if somebody can get give me a date on the guitar. It has a patent pending on the side of the mag, but on the bottom of the guitar, on the body,it has a patent number, and up of the head stock it has serial numbers 5649. I got her last nite via UPS, put new strings and pitched her to open D.....this guitar sounds amazing! When I play it clean, it sounds like I'm in heaven, and when I dirty it up, it sounds like a killer blues machine. Going to play her for a couple of days like this then send my mags to Rick for a mag charge! Thanks Rick for caring!

By the way, if anyone is interested in hearing some blues slide check out my website and click on the sounds page and download the first song "pretty baby", also if any one is in NYC this thursday and free at 930pm, I'll be playing at the parkside lounge on Houston st.

------------------
http://www.andreandthenighthounds.com/

Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

They sound sweet don't they? I bought my B7 about a month ago and haven't put it down yet. Mine has the hottest pickup of all my laps so I'm probably gonna leave well enough alone. It took me awhile to get used to the extra string on top but now I feel a lot more comfortable with it. I've noticed with mine that it's a little more tempermental about stayin in tune but once it's tuned it's got such a heavenly sound I don't care if I have to tune it more often. Have fun with that Ricky Andre.
Andre Nizzari

Post by Andre Nizzari »

is that true that it's best to detune it when not playing because you can bow the neck.....is this true...would that also happen to Aces & Academies.... but those bakelites guitars are one piece, not bolt on.
George Manno

Post by George Manno »

VERY NICE!!
what tuning are you usin for doggy bag?

George
Andre Nizzari

Post by Andre Nizzari »

Thanks George, I tune my lap steels and half of my guitars to open D. My other guitars are tuned to "standard guitar" tuning.
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

Andre,
You have one of the earliest B6s, 1935-37.
They are the best of the best, and you got it at a real great price. I've seen these go as high as $1600 in original condition on Ebay and close to $2000 in vintage stores. The replacement tuners are probably better than the original for someone who will actually play the instrument on a regular basis.

As for detuning to prevent warpage, I have had several B6s and an Ace for a number of years. I don't detune and have not seen any warpage. Just to be safe I would detune if the insstrument is to be left in the cold for any length of time.

Enjoy
Gary Harris

Post by Gary Harris »

Did Rickenbacker reinforce the neck with steel rods in the newer models?
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

After the neck on my bakelite, which is'47 or '48,got broke, I can tell you they never used a steel reinforcement. Might have been a good idea though.
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

After the neck on your Ric broke, did you have it repaired? How did it sound after the break, did you still enjoy playing it?
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The guitar sounds as good as it ever did, actually better now, because it has string-thru the body and 1 1/2 inch magnets and a Lollar coil. I repaired it myself, but someone else on this forum had a simpler way with some filler /glue used for gun stock bedding.