Why did you buy the brand steel you did?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Harrison

Post by Alan Harrison »

I have owned and played about all of the pro line of steels over the last 35 years and always seem to go back to Emmons, the feel and tone qualities just seem to fit my style of playing and most important, the sound fits my ear. I'm happy to see so many great builders out there, and who knows, at some point,.........

------------------
Emmons LeGrande II.D-10, 8 & 5, two Peavey 112's, Profex II and Hilton Pedal.
Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

I had my first Emmons steel PP which I bought brand new in 1976 from the factory. I set it up and played it and until the time I traded it for a '98 LaGrande III I was always impressed with its tone. I'm sure I played it every day of my life for those 22 years. When I like something I keep it. Now this LaGrande III that I have; I love its tone. Almost everybody tells me they love my sound that I get. But I have yet to hear anybody say they like my pickin'. I think the Emmons steel sounds like a steel ought to sound. I'm 71 years old and I'll probably never buy another one. But I recommend them.
Jerry
Jerry Warner

Post by Jerry Warner »

well i'm happy w/ my d10 mullen that i have owned since 1988 and it truley a very good pedal steel, no promblem"s at all w/ this guitar and you don't have to change strings as often and this axe still will give you some good sounds as only a mullen will do and belive they are great guitars not taken anything away from all the other great steel maker's, but thease are great guitars and mr Del stands behinds his guitars.
Jerry Warner

Post by Jerry Warner »

i posted in pedal steel but did not see my post, so whats up?
Jamie Danter

Post by Jamie Danter »

Used GFI S-10SM. An affordable student model.

jamie<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jamie Danter on 05 July 2005 at 07:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wayne Smith

Post by Wayne Smith »

Have been playing Zum for years. Just got a new one a couple of weeks ago and I think it is my 5th or 6th. The ZumSteel is pretty much flawless. Bruce is a great craftsman and I have never been disapointed. I have bought other guitars that are great guitars that I have liked very much, but for me, the Zum fits my taste very well. I now have two Zums. I like both of them and YES it is worth the wait.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Wayne Smith on 04 July 2005 at 06:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Duncan

Post by Bobby Duncan »

This is a cool post. I've enjoyed reading about all the different steels, and reasons why guys chose them. I've been thru most of the major brands, including Zum and Emmons. I'm still a huge fan of the Zum. Emmons, of course are fine guitars too. I was actually playing a Zum at a little jam with some friends, and a local player that I know showed up with his Williams S-10. I liked the sound of the guitar, and was instantly attracted to the very compact size of the Williams. The S-10 weigh a mere 25 lbs out of the case. The more I was around him and this Williams, the more I liked it. Bought a used D-10 off eBay, and was very impressed. I ended up selling it and ordered a new D-10 keyless with the 400 series changer. This is MY guitar. I love everything about it, and could probably write more than anyone would care to read on here about all the reasons why. It's simply a wonderful guitar. Lately I've had a hankering to order me an S-10 keyless for a 2nd guitar b/c they're so light and portable, and I don't really play the back neck (yet) anyway. Also, I could then leave my D-10 set up at home and haul the "little one" out to the gigs. So, I put a post under "Wanted to buy" for a used Williams S-10 keyless. Didn't expect a hit, but got one on a really nice 2002 S-10 Williams 400 series from Richard Cooper. It's not a keyless, but for what I saved from the price of new one, I'll get over that. It should arrive tomorrow.
Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm sold on Williams, and am now the proud owner of a pair of them. Service is fantastic. I have called Bill several times and he has always taken the time to talk to me, and help if/when I needed it. Don't get me wrong, I know that most of the major brands are all making really nice steels. Not taking anything away from any of them. I am a huge fan of the keyless tho, and wish more manufacturers made them. If Zum had a keyless, I may not have ever tried the Williams. But, I did, and I am hooked. Plays great, and really good tone. Light-weight, very well built, really sharp looking, and just a ton of fun to play.
BD Image
Rich Mounce

Post by Rich Mounce »

Hey Bobby...You know I have always been and always will be an Emmons guy but you really did sound good at the show in E Peoria. It was great hearing you play. AAHHH...Maybe I will let you play my Emmons sometime just for the heck of it...LOL..

Rich Mounce http://takoeff.to/steeljam
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

It was what I could afford at the time.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Because I didn't know any better.
Matt Harelik

Post by Matt Harelik »

I found a beautiful used MSA U-12 8/4 in the case at HOT Music in Temple about 15 or 20 years ago for $800. Have sold it and bought it back a couple of times. Why? Maurice Anderson! It's still beautiful, it still works like brand new, I still can't play it.
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

I started not to post this about why players bought the guitars, etc. But I'm glad I did. This is really interesting to hear what other players were looking at or thinking about buying at the time they purchased the new addition to the family. This is great fun and it's real easy to pick up new ideas and such. Continue on pickers! Thanks.
J PARKER

Post by J PARKER »

The first guitar i ever owned was a lloyd green model sho bud. I sold it and was almost exclusively a emmons player till i played the new rains guitar and wow it swept me off my feet. I bought a new rains and love the playing and sound of it but im in the process of getting me a new red one. This has been a great topic Billy. Jim
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

i saw Paul Redmonds beautiful D10 Keyless Custom Handbuilt Whitney, at the ISGC, back in the late 80's i think. Gave it a glance, then continued to play every steel for sale that year on the convention floor. Something pulled me back to the Whitney booth. Looked it over again a little closer. Again walked away, directly to the Emmons booth, and played the Emmons. Bound determained to go home with a new steel. The next Morning, i headed directly for the Whitney booth. Paul Redmond said, man, you are making me dizzy walking back and forth..sit down, here is my bar and picks now play this guitar man...i did..i ordered one....That year i could have bought ANY guitar on the convention floor..but choose the Whitney... i am so so glad i did..."Effortless Playability" "Color Choices" "Materials" "Craftmenship" "Tone" "Sound" "Weight" "Portability" "Easy To Tune, & Stays Put" Cabinet Drop? what's that? i can honestly say..i would not play half as good as i do..if it wern't for this beautiful flawless instrument....

------------------
Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar..I was keyless....when keyless wasn't cool....

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by George Redmon on 11 July 2005 at 11:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

Hey JP, you know when I first met you in Enterprise you had just started playing and the LDG was new. That was what? Mid 70's maybe? Your hair was actually blonde then and mine was really black. What happened?
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I got the idea that I wasn't going to play PSG anymore since I hadn't had a job in (5)-yrs. anyway. I decided that I would just play my non-pedal and be done with it! So last year I sold my very mint ’01 Franklin w/9 & 8. A few months ago, I got the urge again to doodle around on PSG again for more variety/style! I knew a Franklin would mean a long wait, so; I checked the Forum out of curiosity, and was looking for a SD–10 w/3 & 5. I never bought a pre-owned PSG in 48-yrs. because; I really don't trust to buy any pre-owned equipment! (Never have) I saw a SD–10 Derby w/3 & 5 on the Forum and I knew that Tommy White had played a Derby for about (5)-yrs. and since the owner was close by, I went for a test~drive and found it to be in very good condition! So, I bought it. It's a very good, well made instrument and I'm now a Derby kind of guy! Now, as soon as I sell a few items, I’ll be ordering a brand~new D–10 Derby (6 & 8).
------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 03 August 2005 at 09:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

I have a National New Yorker Lap Steel. It belonged to a friend and he never played it. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $100. I bought it. Kind of wish I'd kept my Navy-grey Rickenbacker now that I've discovered C-6.
Joe Shelby

Post by Joe Shelby »

First guitar, Sho-Bud Maverick (the maple body, raised neck, nut roller model) 'cause
that's the only one I could afford.
Second guitar, Blue MSA Classic D-10, because
I heard Jeff Newman get such a full tone out
of one at a seminar I went to in 1976.
At that time I had the chance to buy a green,
basket weave mica '70's Emmons D-10 from Jay
Dee Manness. He said the E9th pickup he had
in it was from a '69 guitar and he would have to switch it out before selling it. The
pedal action was pretty good, but the green
basket weave mica was probably the worst finish Emmons ever offered...That same week,
I was in Austin and played a new MSA. The playability was so much nicer than the Emmons
and the price was about $150 less than Jay Dee's guitar. I'm afraid (more then than now)
looks did matter.
Not long after I'd got the MSA, I played a Zum that another guy named Joe from my area
had just got. After playing that I realised
that tone-wise the Zum was really what I wanted, but it took eleven years before I could afford one. That guitar I still have,
stock pickup's and all. When I'm playing well
I love the tone and when not I dream about
Dan Tyack's '60's Emmons (the second Emmons
he had) that had tone to kill for-that was
the best sounding/playing guitar I ever sat
behind.
Sorry if this is long and boring, but I had
to get this out.
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

Not long and boring. I enjoyed reading about your guitars , as well as, the other players that posted on the subject. You mentioned the blue MSA. MSA really made some beautiful guitars back then and still do.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I sold a D10 Mullen that I bought new in 1989. Thought I would retire but all you guys and gals know that never happens.
I tried a Franklin,Carter and a GFI and never liked any of them. Finally I ordered a new HWP Mullen.
It's kind of like the Ford and Chevy thing.
The Mullen has everything I want in a pedal steel. Tone,feel,looks and resale value. I wouldn't even buy a Mullen RP because I didn't know if it would be as good as the origional Mullen. If it is not broke, don't fix it.
However, If I could of made contact with the Emmons Co. I might of taken a chance on one of those. Im going to try and find a used one someday! I don't know if they are selling new ones anymore. I never could contact anyone in Burlington.

Just my opinion : Image Image
Bill Moran<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Moran on 17 July 2005 at 09:21 AM.]</p></FONT>
Grayson Joe

Post by Grayson Joe »

My first pedal steel was a fender 1000, my 2nd a 1969 D/10 PP Emmons, then when the all pull Emmons came out i went to that, and down threw years went to other major name brands, always looking for the Emmons tone with better KL and pedal action, even tryed the U-12 for a few years, went back to the 10,s, i,v owned just about all major brand name steels, looking for what fits me in feel, tone and action, i,v learn over the years after spending a lot of money on steels, names don,t a thing, if it fits you in comfort, play it! at the present i,m playing a Pedal Master steel and i always wanted to try one, for i heard a lot of good commints on these steels, i must say they are a fine steel alone with the others i,v owned. it fits me in tone, action ect. what i understand about them or the modal that i have is the same as the MCI steels ect

------------------
Joe Grayson, Raleigh,Ms. 39153

Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Well, when I first started playing steel, I loved Emmons guitars and I still love them today. The first steel I ever played with picks and bar was my 1974 Emmons student model S-10. Then I decided I wanted another steel. When I first started playing, I thought the GFIs were too small, but last year, when I went to Steel Guitar Nashville, I finally found out that GFIs are being played by a lot of steel players, so last year I bought my current steel, my red and gold GFI D-10 and I love GFIs. I love any steel guitar there is. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
Hap Young

Post by Hap Young »

My first steel was a D8 National Then a tripple neck Fender (Oh my aching back) then I had three MSA's.My back still hurts, But they were great guitars. Now I have a D10 Sierra. Its as good as any guitar out there . Mechanically sound , stayes in tune, and has a great sound through my stereo steel amp. Oh Happy day..I would trade it in for a Millinium if Reece would give 5000. on a trade in...HA
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

I've only had two kinds of pedal steels, but I have played others. It's either Sho-Bud Professionals or push/pulls.

I think I just scored an old Emmons D-10, but I am waiting for it right now. To me, the black Emmons D-10 is THE pedal steel. I will never have the chops where I would think I was better than the guitar, that's for sure...