Bobby Garrett

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Butch Foster

Bobby Garrett

Post by Butch Foster »

At the beginning and through the first segment of the career of Jim Reeves, Jimmy Day and Bobby Garrett toured with him. When Jim dropped the steel, did Bobby Play with any other artist? Did any of you fellows meet him or work shows with him?
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

He was one of Hank Thompson's finest ever.

God rest his soul,

car
Neil Flanz

Post by Neil Flanz »

Bobby also worked with Ernest Tubb during the years 1959-1960. In 1960 Bobby played steel and Buddy Emmons played lead guitar with E.T. On the album "The Ernest Tubb Record Shop" you can hear them play twin steels on about three songs.Absolutely beautiful! Dr. Wayne Yakes can tell you just about everything you might want to know about Bobby's career if he sees this thread,.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I just picked up the ETRS album on eBay and it's on it's way. Image
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Neil: You're right about the twin steels, of course. But what I found to be even better, was when Buddy would say (play) something on E9th and Bobby would reply on C-6th. The contrast between the tunings and these two giants was an important recording for historical reasons. The song; as I recall it was; Am I That Easy To Forget. The other cut I really appreciated for the same reason was; A Guy Named Joe. BTW: Nice seeing you post here too !! Image Image

Regards, Paul<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 28 June 2002 at 09:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

I knew Bobby the last 20 yrs of his life. A wonderful man. It was a thrill for me to be inducted into the Texas Western Swing Hall of Fame on the same day as Bobby. Sleep well pardner. CC
Neil Flanz

Post by Neil Flanz »

Hi Paul, Thanks. Regarding "Am I that easy to forget" on the "Ernest Tubb Record Shop" album, if you listen really closely you'll realize that it's Bobby playing the E 9th parts and Buddy answering on both the C 6th and E9th. The difference between the lush sound of Bobby's Sho-Bud vs. the kind of thinner sound on Buddy's Fender 1000 is very noticeable when they play individually and as I understand it was a factor in getting Buddy to switch over to a Sho-Bud amongst other things. The four songs that featured twin steel were "Who will buy the wine", "You win again", Why I'm walkin' and "I believe I'm entitled to you". Great playing and you're right about this being a very important album. For steel players I would consider it a collector's item.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Neil Flanz on 28 June 2002 at 12:20 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Neil: I never knew that but I can see exactly what you are saying. I lost that album years ago showing someone else what we are talking about. So I haven't heard it in a long time either. The tone of the Sho-Bud and the 1000 would have been a dead give away but then that just goes to show you how our ingrained opinions can color our evaluations.

When I was standing beside Bobby one night, Jim told him to get off the pedals and play some Jerry Byrd which Bobby did to perfection and like some one else recently wrote (Al Udeen ??); I looked down and my socks were gone. That would be a good reason for me simply accepted as a fact that it was Bobby playing the C6th parts.

Thank you for correcting a really old mistake on my part. Tell 'em Archie: Those Were The Days !! Image Image Image

Regards, Paul
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Does anyone know if this is available in any form?

------------------
Roger Rettig
Emmons LGIII(8+6), MCI (8+4) and Fender Stringmaster (0+0)

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Mine is on its way from eBay, and there's another one on there now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=888215112 BTW, the auction ends tomorrow! Image
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I grew up with Bobby Garrett. We worked the "Skull Orchards" in Greg County, Texas. Bobby was one of the best ever. Worked with 5 Country Music Hall of Fame members. His "Rose City Chimes" is a classic. I sure miss him. Jody.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Jim,
I don't think the record on Ebay is the one they are talking about. It has different songs. I have a Stetson Records UK reissue of the Decca Midnight Jamboree record and it is great but I don't think there are 2 steel players on it.

Bob
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The songs in question are available on the Bear Family box set "Ernest Tubb - Yellow Rose of Texas."

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Oops, Bob you're right. I just checked the song list on the Midnight Jamboree album and they don't match the tunes discussed. Image Oh well, I've wanted this album for a long time, and now I have another one to look for. Image
Robert L. Jones

Post by Robert L. Jones »

If someone needs it bad enough ,I can only make tapes ,But I would try help .

jonesgtrmn@juno.com
wayne yakes md

Post by wayne yakes md »

Bobby Garrett was and is one of the GREATEST E9th and C6th steel guitar players of all time. Most are defined by a single neck and Bobby like few others have defined themselves by both necks. I once asked Bobby if he ever played E9th for Hank Thompson on any of the 95 sides he recorded in Hollywood with Capitol Records (as well as the 3 live albums) and he emphatically told me "I never played nothing but C6th for Hank!!" Can anyone imagine such a gig!! I have always thought that the ultimate thing was to play for Hank and play "The New Green Light" with that wonderful C6th ride in the middle. No one played it like Garrett; hear the way he did it in 1996 for Hank on the CD "Hank Thompson and Friends" with Hank and Marty Stewart. Of course he always played E9th for ET and George Jones(Bobby was the first steel player for Reeves and Jones original bands). Bobby started steel for Reeves(9 1/2 years), Billy Joe Spears, George Jones (1958-59), ET (1959-60), Hank Thompson (1960-63), and later with Ray Price (Johnny Bush was his roommate!!) and Bob Wills. So I think it would be fair to say that Garrett played only for Texans (he himself being one!!)and every one is in the Country Music Hall of Fame. Is there any other steel player that can define himself by these distinctions? I LOVE and miss Bobby to this day. The last St. Louis Convention Buddy Emmons played Day and Garrett (the "Triumvirate") were there. They died in Jan and April following it. I still remember their comments on Buddy's monumental playing then. Garrett's contribution will always be remembered, it says on his ISGHOF plaque "The King of the Thumb Style". I would just wish that when Bobby Seymour plays "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" again in Garrett's thumb style that Garrett first recorded it, that Seymour will give him credit, which in St. Louis I have yet to hear him do. Even Charleton when he played gave credit to Day and Garrett dedicating songs to them during his set........By the way listen to Garrett play for Hank Thompson the instrumental "Blue Skirt Waltz" and I defy anyone to say it was not Jerry Byrd.....
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

How would you describe Buddy Emmons's guitar playing?
Neil Flanz

Post by Neil Flanz »

Earnest, I'd describe it as tasteful and fitting Ernest Tubb's style to a "T"
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Doctor Yakes: Thank You !! Image Image Image
Merv Dawson

Post by Merv Dawson »

Wayne -- never forget that Bobby loved you, as well. When he called me and told me what the Dr had told him about the cancer, he said -- I've got to call Wayne Yakes and tell him. And when they wanted to give radiation to his head, you were the first one he called. I miss him very much. I was his friend for over 50 years. He was one of a kind.
Merv
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Great post Dr. Yakes. He was one of a kind for sure and to my ear nobody sounded better. God Bless

Rick Garrett
wayne yakes md

Post by wayne yakes md »

Buddy Emmons guitar playing is great. He played his unique way, taking another level from Billy Byrd. You must remember that Buddy, Garrett, and Day were in their late teens and early twentys when they did these GIANT accomplishments that electrified the steel guitar and music world in general. Who in this age group today that came make the same contribution? Buddy is also accomplished and recorded as a bass player (check out Darrell McCall's "Lily Dale") having played bass with Roger Miller for several years. Buddy's photography is genius as well. I don't know of a thing Buddy has touched that was not great. He is talented at so many levels. One of a kind..........
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Buddy was one of Bobby's biggest fans and Bobby was one of Buddy's biggest fans.

IMHO, there will never be another Bobby Garrett or another Buddy Emmons!

<FONT SIZE=2 COLOR="#8e236b">(Buddy played guitar on his course, "Half Duzin Shuffles". He also played the incredible bass lines on "It's My Lazy Day" on Darrell McCall's "Lily Dale" album.)</FONT>

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

wayne yakes md

Post by wayne yakes md »

MEGADITTOS ERNIE!!!!!§§§§§µµµµ££££€€€€€¤¤¤¤¤
Finis Spier

Post by Finis Spier »

i had the priviledge of working with bobby
at joe hamonds round up club in gladewater texas in the fiftys i played fiddle at the time when bobby left to work with E T i left too it wasnt the same without him i also had the good fortune to play the lousiana hayride with bobby when rose city chimes was being played i got to do the fiddle break on rose city chimes ill never forget it he was
the greatest