Robbie Fulks w/Lloyd Green

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pete Finney

Robbie Fulks w/Lloyd Green

Post by Pete Finney »

I posted about this great new album a few months ago not realizing that it wasn't coming out for quite a while; it's out now. I started to just bump up the whole thread but decided to just repost my little "review". For those of us into Lloyd's recent playing it's a "must"...

"Robbie Fulks has a new album called "Georgia Hard" and Lloyd is all OVER it. Robbie may be best known on the forum for producing the recent Johnny Paycheck tribute; I think this is basically the same band, Redd Volkaert's pretty prominent too and sounds great as always. Robbie gets kind of typecast as "alternative country" but this ought to appeal to anyone who likes classic 60's and 70's country; there's echos of everyone from Roger Miller at his funniest to Paycheck or Gene Watson at their most soulful, though there's way too much originality in the songs to call it "retro". Robbie's a really brilliant songwriter (and singer) in my opinion, and has kind of been overlooked by a lot of people; maybe this album will change that... And Lloyd just plays one cool thing after another!"<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 19 May 2005 at 01:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

WEll I can attest.
I had the pleasure of playing steel with Robbie at the recent SXSW showcase; and he sent me an advaced copy of this project, to especially learn all the Lloyd Green parts on the songs and YEEEE haaaa it was a blast and a steel guitar workout for sure> I loved it.
Ricky
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Robbie Fulks is the best hard country artist you never heard of. I have been listening to him on a recommendation from Lucinda Williams, and he blows me away. And his talent doesn't end at writing and singing, he slings a mean guitar too.

------------------
Sierra S8, Rickenbacher T-Logo Bakelite lap steel, Peavey Delta Blues, Regal Dobro, Teese RMC2 Wah, Proco Rat, Lap Dawg bar

Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

The album has been officially released on May 16, so it's available right now. I have also posted some info on the website www.lloydgreentribute.com ("News" section), incl. a link to Robbie's website, so there is no excuse for not getting that album! Image

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

wow... I DL'd this album from iTunes yesterday and listened to it on my commute...

One of the best country records I've heard in a long while, and Lloyd complements each tune he is on perfectly and uniquely...

some really strong old school song writing goin' on too!
"Leave it to a Loser" "Doin' Right (for all the wrong reasons),"You Don't Want what I Have" man they are great
and it seems Fulks is channeling Paycheck's dark side on "Coldwater TN" and "If they Could See me Now"

great! Thanks for the heads up Pete!

Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Robbie Fulks his probably one of the most underrated songwriters working today. I have every CD that he's ever put out. Worth every penny. If you ever have the chance to see and hear him live I highly recommend that you do so. VERY high energy and funny as hell along with some of the best music that you'll ever hear in your life. (Not on the radio of course)! He always has a top notch band with him as well. I would have loved to see Ricky doing his thing in Robbie's show. That had to sound great.

Robbie Bossert
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Robbie Fulks is a great performer and songwriter. I saw him at last year's Twangfest in St. Louis and he put on a heck of a show.
Unfortunately he didn't have a steel guitarist with him on that show, but he almost made me forget that sad omission.
I highly recommend him.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Got my copy today!

What a wonderful album, full of surprises, everything is in there, from shuffles and ballads to acoustic and folk type songs. Robbie is a great songwriter with good humor.

And listen to Lloyd and Redd Volkaert - the instrumental piece "Right On Redd" is terrific! Image

Great Record!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Robbie is on the road right now with Fats Kaplan in the steel chair. He puts on a great show !

http://robbiefulks.com/

------------------
Bob
intonation help

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 26 May 2005 at 07:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Thanks for the tip. Picked it up last weekend while perusing old country vinyl at Princeton Record Exchange. It does not disappoint. Good songs, good musicianship, not a dud on here, for my tastes. I think this quote from the album cover fits:

"While most current country music is calculated to form an inoffensive backdrop to the suburban shopping experience, Robbie Fulks writes songs that make you think and feel and quite often laugh out loud."

Yep, I won't disagree. The man has a sense of humor. "Countrier Than Thou" definitely had me howlin' on the way back from NJ. Image
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Another recomendation from Centre County PA.

I think he has mellowed somewhat since his first couple albums.
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

In the recent issue of NO DEPRESSION there is an interesting and very personal piece about him. I heard a few tracks on the radio and really liked it.

If you don't know NO DEPRESSION: It's by far the best music magazine I've ever read. Even the ads are worth a read!

MArtin

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 | GiMa squareneck

Roland van Beveren

Post by Roland van Beveren »

Robbie is the best of 'm all! All his records are great (check out "Country Love Songs"), and this one is a true smasher again. And Lloyd and Redd are too, of course! Hey Ricky, Robbie sure knows how to pick his steelers, hah? :-). When will you guys finally come over to play the Paradiso here in Amsterdam? Count me in!

All the best from Amsterdam

Roland
Jonathan Gregg

Post by Jonathan Gregg »

Thanks for the tip, Pete. I will get it asap. I have only one other album of his, Couples in Trouble, which didn't slay me, but I have a feeling it's a bit different than the others.
This one sounds like a winner for sure.

Btw, I had the pleasure of meeting your brother Steve, who has been coming to some shows of mine around town. Doing my best not to scare him away...

Hope we get a chance to hang out some time when you're in NY.