Sacred Steel Suggestions Tips (needed)

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Barber

Sacred Steel Suggestions Tips (needed)

Post by Rick Barber »

Hello friends,

Its been a long time since I've written. I will be introducing my pedal steel playing to the Catholic Church in my town. I have been a musician for the Church for over 20 years now. My audiences (when playing nylon string acoustic have been around 500 each week).

For those of you who have played pedal steel in this setting can you pass along any playing tips and style that have worked the best and are highly acceptable. Typically I'll be in a group setting but occasional solos. Any favorite DVD's to get a feel for it?

Sincere replies and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm limited to E9 at the moment---Carter standard setup. This is a choir / piano / woodwind group. Usually its only an acoustic grand piano a guitar and sometimes a woodwind .

Thanks very much,
Rick Barber
Morgan Hill, Calif.
Dave Frye

Post by Dave Frye »

Well hi Rick, Ok heregoes, play fills only, play fills only, got that?? If that is a worship group you will learn that right away, it took me a little while to learn that way of playin, but when you get a solo------let-er-rip!!!!! Good luck Rick! Old Dave Frye
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Man that really depends on the band you are playing with and what the crowd is expecting.

I've played in a number of church situations where the steel was expected to be up front and soloing (in House of God, Catholic, Episcopal, Lutherin, and a number of other denominations). And what's worked for me is to concentrate on doing vocal like lines (I'm thinking about Aretha, Mahalia Jackson, and Mavis Staples). A wah pedal helps.

Now this might not work in your environment, it might be too conservative. But I have played some pretty rockin' gospel music in some pretty conservative congregations. Check out my web site for some examples.

------------------
www.tyack.com

JW Day

Post by JW Day »

Rick, being a christain myself, I've had the pleasure of playing in about every denomation there is. personally I think the crowd can tell you with their expressions what kind of job your are doing.I never try to over ride anyone. This keeps anyone from thinking you are trying to be a star.
Rick Barber

Post by Rick Barber »

Thanks for the replies.

Rick Barber
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

Hey....the main thing is to not OVERPLAY, don't do too much, and keep your volume at a pleasing level.......your amp fairly close to you in a chair or stand and not too far away........I've been playing in churches for the past 26 years.....most denominations do like it if it's not too loud or overbearing.......HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 5) Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX500; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp.

Rick Barber

Post by Rick Barber »

Thanks Hal.

Rick Barber