Any intrest in a PA/DC/MD steel guitar assoc?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Myers

Any intrest in a PA/DC/MD steel guitar assoc?

Post by Bill Myers »

I know there are alot of steel players in the Pennsylvania, Washington DC and Maryland areas. I am thinking about trying to organize a group that could help tie these folks together as well as maybe organize some kind of jam session. If you would have any intrest in this kind of group, please let me know.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Sure... include New Jersey and Delaware too, make it "Mid Atlantic"
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

The more the merrier! I think the more people we can get involved, the more we could do as a group. I would love to see anyone who was not "too far" to become involved in the group. I would not want to limit it at all.
Ted Solesky

Post by Ted Solesky »

Bill, I jammed at Wally's Music store in Hamburg, Pa and had a lot of fun! They get together once a month. Wally has some real nice CD's that have classic songs etc. Everyone gets a chance to play and you meet nice people from different areas. I do miss going there since I moved.
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Bill, I think it would be a great idea. I am just south of you near Gettysburg. I am just learning the PSG, having had no musical training what so ever, so unfortunately, I have nothing to bring to the table as far as experience, etc....... but count me in Image

------------------
1974 MSA D10 7+4
If you ain't steelin' it, you ain't feelin' it !!

www.steelin4fun.com

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Yes, as we discussed the other day during our Session 500 discussion. I'm pleased to find that there are more of us than I realized, if one looks at a 100-150 mile radius of, say, Harrisburg.
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

I would love to do jam sessions, but even more than that. I would love to go to different events to try to raise the awareness of the PSG. There is a great music fest in Harrisburg over July fourth. Even if a couple of guys just came out and set up a booth with a couple of guitars and played a little. I'm afraid that if we don't do anything, that this instrument may just die off. Another thing I would absolutley love to see is a steel guitar show in the Pa MD or DC. This is such a large area...there has to be a few PSG pickers hanging around out there!

One of the things I love about this forum is that it allows other players to meet and exchange info/build friendships. My thoughts are to do this on personal basis for all levels of players that would want to get together in person. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 09 May 2005 at 10:42 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 09 May 2005 at 10:42 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 09 May 2005 at 10:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

for about 15 years, up until 2 years ago now, there was the annual "Steelin' for Hearts" show in MD (and then VA) but it is sadly no more.

Just last year Chuck Campbell (not the Sacred Steel CC but another) held a 2 day show in No. Virginia with many players including Maestro Buddy Charleton who was a fixture and prime draw at S4Hearts shows.

John Swain held a jam session at his house just a few weeks ago in NJ that drew players from the SE PA and delaware and Maryland- just to sit in a circle and jam to tracks with no audience, so there are pickers aplenty.

All of these events have been promoted heavily on the forum Events and Announcements.

Set a date, post a venue and see what develops
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Count me in!
gLg
Wayne Tyler

Post by Wayne Tyler »

Bill: I think it is a great idea. It would allow pickers at all stages to gather and learn from each other. It would be great just talking to people that share the same interest and know what I'm talking about. Keep me informed
Ric Nelson

Post by Ric Nelson »

Sounds good to me. I'm D.C. based
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Yes, it'd be great to have something a little closer to home. Just try to avoid having any large shows at the same time of year as PSGA (which meets in November), so an April/May timeframe is probably good.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Count me in! The MASGA seems to have most events in the Carolinas, so a regular gathering in the Balto/Wash area would be good for a lot of pickers! Maybe Chuck's get-together would be a regular thing, and if so...that's a good start! Image

What Jim said is important too, because the smaller shows feature more of the amateur players. Chuck limited his last show to 3 "big guns" and I think that's a good idea. It gives a lot of the others a chance to shine too, without being so limited time-wise, and without having to have a show drag on for 3 or 4 days.

Putting these shows together is a <u>lot</u> of work!

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 10 May 2005 at 08:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

OK then, it sounds like there is a definite desire to have some kind of association for Steel Players in the North East. I am thinking of having something in the Harrisburg PA area. The reason for this is that it is two hours from DC and hour and a half from Baltimore, two hours from Philadelphia and 2-3 hours from most points in PA. My thought would be to talk to someone about renting a firehouse for an afternoon to have the first jam session. The place I am thinking of would be right off route 81 and not far from route 15 and 83. I am going to check on the costs and dates....but if I can get a few guys to help defray the cost I think this is do-able. I know a bass player, a couple of guitar players and a drummer who would probably come and play (all are very capable musicians). I would also love to see this be a swap meet as well as a jam session.

If anyone wants to help out, just let me know.
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

I talked to a local music store and they said they would donate the rental of a pa system for a jam session/meeting. I have leads on a couple of places. Anybody have any thoughts about what kind of timeframe would be good?
Buddy Griffin

Post by Buddy Griffin »

I'm game, especially if you can get Brad Waldmeyer (sp) to participate. Is this anywhere near York Pa?
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

Where I'm thinking is about 30 miles from York. Not too far.
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

Ok....here's where we stand. I've got a good lead on a nice ballroom. I have a local music store who will donate the use of a pa. I've lined up a drummer, two guitar players, bass player and a couple of singers for the house band. I have a guy with a sound company who will donate the use of any backline gear and he is going to run sound. What else would we need to do this????
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sounds like you're off to the races and doing a great job already. If you've got a good keyboard player who can play jazz, swing, country, etc., that would be ideal. Wouldn't necessarily need two guitarists if you have keys.

Also, you're gonna need local volunteers, and if it's gonna run into the evening hours, you might want to cut a deal with a local hotel/motel for a group rate.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 12 May 2005 at 10:21 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

Keyboard players are hard to find. I know a couple of guys I can ask. But they seem to be harder to find. The one guitar player is a steel players too, so he'll go back and forth. A friend of mine plays bass and turned me on to a local moose with a really nice 300 seat ballroom that we can get at a very reasonable rate. I'll work on the hotel. Any preferences on a Saturday versus Sunday show/jam session?
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Bill, you might want to elaborate whether this will be a show or a jam. I recently attended a jam that had all levels of playing expertise. What I really enjoyed at this jam was everyone, while waiting their turn, would get a chance to play regardless who was perceived as being good or just learning. It simply didn’t matter, everyone played because the atmosphere was conducive for a good time for all. I did my best to play some Herby Wallace licks and failed miserably, but who cares. He wasn’t there and nobody noticed. Image At a different function, Chuck Campbell’s deal in Northern Virginia, all levels were welcome but it was a show type atmosphere. I personally would like to see/participate in both settings so all can participate.
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

Here is kind of what I was thinking...Start out the days with a swap meet. See if we can get some tables in the back of the room for anyone that wants to buy/sell some stuff. Then start a jam session. I'm not sure exactly how this would work. If you would limit it to four or five steel players and break it into sets or if you just let everyone go. Do this for a few hours so that everyone gets who wants to play gets a chance. Then closer to the end of the day maybe do a short show(if we can get people to play). If there's time, maybe go back to doing the jam afterwards. I am open to suggestions and none of this is written in stone. Anyone that wants to help if certianly welcome!
Michael Barone

Post by Michael Barone »

I'm interested in participating, but only during the summer, since the school year is so busy. Harrisburg is okay for me depending upon start-end time.

I can contribute by playing keyboard, electric bass, or guitar. I can play the keyboard styles that Jim mentioned, + standards with Floyd Cramer flavoring. Still a novice at PSG.

------------------
Mike Barone
Sho-Bud Pro-1, Nashville 112, Goodrich Pedal, BJS 15/16 Bar

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Michael Barone on 12 May 2005 at 05:01 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

this looks interesting. I might come down from central NY to hear you guys. I was at the one in Virginia in February and enjoyed it a lot. Keep up the good work. Larry

------------------
U12 Williams keyless 400
Evans SE 150, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Bill Bosler

Post by Bill Bosler »

I'll vote for that.