Are you happy with your steel playing??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Jeff Newman said this instrument isn't measured in steady progress, it's a logic leap that comes in chunks. You play, and play, and play, and finally things just click on, and suddenly you can play things you couldn't five minutes ago.

My music theory professor at school says "Being a perfectionist doesn't mean you're perfect. It means you hate yourself because you're not perfect."

-MG
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I think that instead of comparing yourself to the greats, you should honestly compare your playing to last year, five years ago, etc. If you do that you'll probably find that you've progressed without realizing it. I think I'm having intonation problems that I did not have when I worked at it full time, arthritis in my right thumb has me thinking I'll have to quit soon, so I've lost speed and accuracy, but I think I have ideas that are new to me. I go from content to depressed a lot, which I think is inevitable.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Bob Some people are over confident, others under confident,which are you? I play for the aveage Joe (no pun intended).I don't like playing for steel players,that always compare,or say this player can do this or that. Play for fun and it will get better. Joe
J Hill

Post by J Hill »

Bob,

This is a great subject, sure beats reading about all the technical aspects of the underside of a steel guitar. Image

Here's a post worth repeating....

---- Jeff Newman said this instrument isn't measured in steady progress, it's a logic leap that comes in chunks. You play, and play, and play, and finally things just click on, and suddenly you can play things you couldn't five minutes ago. ---

Now I'm a 'real' beginner. But that paragraph has proved itself true to me. "When" I practice, I actually make progress. An exercise I couldn't even begin to do two weeks ago is now coming along quite nicely. But two weeks ago I'd sit down and stand back up 30 seconds to one minute after trying, frustrated. Over and over this happened. Then I decided to learn it one measure at a time. I began to sit and play for no longer than 5 minutes, literally. An hour later I'd do the same thing...on and on throughout the day. By golly, its really paying off, because each time I play that exercise, its better than the last. The sad part is there's no way I can ever play anything well in front of my teacher. I just can't get past the mental part of knowing he's such a professional. I honestly don't know what keeps him from laughing through every lesson. He must pray alot for strength to be kind. He sure is kind.

So whatever level you're at...choose a piece you like that's a little above that, and practice. Of course you already know all this.

You should really just be very grateful for how far above my ability you already are. Image

Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

NO I ain't!! Man I had one day last week where I sat down to the steel and just fell right into Crazy Arms. And on that day I felt comfortable with the steel. It felt like my dad was looking over my shoulder and telling me what to play. Other than that one day it feels out of place. I'm praying for more of those good days soon.

Rick
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

I have to agree with Marty Pollard. I can't wait to play the next time. Even when I am just at home, all I have to do is look at that steel and I want to sit down and have at it.

Am I a good player? Not in my opinion. Although I've played psg for 26 years on and off, it is not my first instrument. Piano,Hammond organ, guitar, dobro, steel, mandolin, banjo, lap steel, bass in that order of skills.

My intonation is very good and I know how to play within the context of my abilities and, while I'm not a chop monster or tone guru, I can ususally play to my satisfaction and enjoyment. When I don't, I am the first to notice and it irritates me. Conversely, when I really nail something, I am thrilled like few things ever thrill me.

Bob, after hearing your stuff, I am sure you are a better player than I am. Maybe you just need to get into some new styles or something to inspire you.

My favorite gig right now is as a duo with one of my best friends. We bring 14 instruments on stage with us and play just about every genre you can think of. We don't worry about sounding like the record. In fact, we do things like put steel on Lucky Man by ELP, including using it for the Moog parts, we use a baritone ukelele on Hotel California, Dobro works nicely on Gimme Shelter, hammered dulcimer on the Allman's Melissa... You get the point. Variety, not fantastic playing, is the spice of life for me.

I used to be more performance oriented myself and I was always frustrated and discouraged. Now I just use the gifts my good Lord had given me and try to bless others with my playing. You know what? I play much better with this attitude than when I aspired for perfection, and people enjoy coming to hear me. We're making lots of new friends. That's what it's all about in my book.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Webb Kline on 23 May 2005 at 05:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Great thread--definitely one to fullfill b0b's original idea!

I can only suggest that everyone read it from start to finish--every post, every word--and then print it for posterity. Anyone who doesn't see themselves somewhere probably wouldn't see their reflection in the mirror!

James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Morehead on 23 May 2005 at 06:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

For me, I try to set reasonable goals. Each gig if I can sound a little bit better than the previous gig, I`m happy with my steel playing.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Im never happy enough with it to stop trying to improve it, and never unhappy enough with it to stop trying to improve it.

Other peoples' playing is something I'm much less critical about.. (I"m easy to entertain.)

EJL
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

quote- "Im never happy enough with it to stop trying to improve it, and never unhappy enough with it to stop trying to improve it". .....

Thats it... Eric NAILED it! Now I can make a little better sense of my feelings in this matter.

Erics reply was better than a romantic encounter.

I'm REAL easy to entertain!!! bob<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 23 May 2005 at 07:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

Bob:[Erics reply was better than a romantic encounter]

Bob, now your scarin' me. ;D
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Bob..i told you before in a post..you play better then you think you do...i still say as i did before.."You are no prince charming"...just kidding my friend..just be thankful you are a person with a very special gift. Ya know..i just hate those stuck up conceded $^#@ of a !^($&'s..that think they play better then we do.{which they do}...and make damn sure you know they do!...so be yourself..you play better then most on here son, including myself..now stop the pity party..and play Brummley's "Together Again" steel break for me....Snap out of it you big goof....you are a super player Bob, and a very nice person..and being both is an accomplishment unto itself!

------------------
Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar..I was keyless....when keyless wasn't cool....

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by George Redmon on 23 May 2005 at 08:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

No, so stop asking.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

George.. thanks for the nice remarks. Its not a pity party on my behalf,believe me.. I just think that after 28 years, everything I want to play on steel should come more easily.
I should not feel stuck in a rut. I know I play ok, BUT I get in these moods where I feel I have made no real progress in years. Its not about feeling SORRY for myself.. I don't. I feel disgusted with myself for allowing my playing to "stagnate".. if that makes any sense. bob
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

No, and I doubt I'll ever be 'satisfied' with my playing. I assume this journey will be a struggle until I can no longer lift the bar. But I enjoy every minute of it.
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Only in my dreams! Hey there's a song in there somewhere. Image
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Song titles, great!

Topic: Are you happy with your steel playing??

Answer: "Once a day, every day, all day long."

At least I'm not out digging a ditch somewhere! Pappy warned me about doing that...

-MG
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

After I learned the basics, I started to work on playing scales & playing the melody to songs & quit trying to sound like someone else. I play lots of instrumentals & really enjoy doing that. The licks will come in time. I think we approach the steel the from the wrong angle by learning licks first & scales 30 years later. I think it will make a better all around player. I have heard there are steel guitarists in Nashville, that cannot play any songs, just licks, for me, that wouldn't be any good at all. Thats my 2 cents worth, hope it does not hurt anyones feelings, cause that was not the intent.

Ernie Pollock Image

------------------
Billy Woo

Post by Billy Woo »

I don't think most steelers are content with their level of progress especially non-pros, sometimes I think a good way to measure "Progress" is to go to one of your local Jams and see how you do on the 'Round Robin show and tells' it helps if you can play a little jazz, standard, rock, ballad, good ole fashioned country and maybe even blues..also don't forget your priorties, family, job, second job, third job, dog, reality tv shows, wife, kid, second kid etc..For me the inspiration IS the well rounded player who can deftly play all styles with ease but they are far and few in between..Learning new material and completing your learning before going on to a new lesson is something (most of us are guilty of doing) Anyway my two cents but again Priorties and Resolve will dictate how you do in the world of Steel Guitar..now that I'm off my soap box, I'm gonna go practice with my new Marshall stack and strat..

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

Ernie, I concur! I was self-taught when I started back in 79 and all I could do was try and emulate my favorite steelers at the time Brumley, Mooney, Cage, Young, and Black and Jernigan (although I never got too far with those fellas).

It wasn't until recently that I decided to do some serious woodshedding on the instrument. My good friend Jack Michaels got me into learning scales and it has transformed my playing. I am an improvisational player regardless of what instrument I am playing. To me, that is where I find the most enjoyment in playing. But, I must say that learning my way around all the major and mionor scale possibilities has made a bigger difference in my playing than anything else I've ever tried.

Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

Webb: I have always liked doing my own licks & things in the tunes, I have been asked quite a few times in little studio gigs to sound like this one or that one, I always say, well I give it shot. But most of the time I don't even attempt that & play my stuff & make em happy. I did tell one fellow up in a studio near Pittsburgh, that if he wanted Neil Youngs steel guitar player, hire him, I will pack up & get out of here!! Needless to say Neils steel player didn't get the job, I managed to make em happy with the ol Ernie stuff!! Keep picking those scales, I can't imagine playing steel guitar & not knowing them??

Ernie Image Once again, this reply was not meant to hurt anyones feeling, but if it did..................

------------------
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

All instruments are hard to play, both as a beginner, and later as you reach for what the top talents are doing and have done. I think there is a pretty good consensus that pedal steel is one of the most difficult instruments to learn to play well. It humbles every player.

But actually my impression is that some mediocre players, amateurs and semi-pros have more pure fun playing than some of the guys at the top. The ones at the top are really hard on themselves - that's how they got there. And there is lots of pressure, competition and high expectations at the top. I have observed many people at the top (not just in music) who got there because they are incredibly insecure, unconfident, and terrified of failure. And that drives them to be very narrow and to work themselves to death out of fear. First they are afraid they wont get to the top. Then they are afraid of slipping back. They are still insecure, unhappy, workaholics - it's just their personality. They are incapable of relaxing and enjoying life.

Of course there are also a few at the top who are genuine geniuses, and who are confident and relaxed with their talent and a joy to be around. But I see many more people down in the ranks (again, not just in music) who accept their limitations, who accept that their dedication has its limits, who have other interests they enjoy, and who have a happy life at their chosen level. Of course there is always some frustration. We are comparing ourselves to giants. But like Eric said, we should let it encourage us to keep getting better, and not let it make us want to quit. I'll never play like the top guys, but I know I will play better than I do now. The happiness that idea gives me helps me live through my present frustration.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I've been content with my playing over the years, but, never truly happy. I had been playing so much with different bands, that, most of the time my playing was just backup and intro's, fills, and outro's. I never really had the chance to dissect a tune and play it completely. I've played steel shows over the last several years and have never walked off the stage satisfied with my playing. I feel that there's always something missing in "my" sound. It could be the "backup musician mentality", I don't know for sure. I hope someday I figure it out and become more satisfied with my steel playing. Until then, I'm still chasing the rainbow!
Alan Shank

Post by Alan Shank »

I am totally unhappy with my steel playing; it sounds like sh**, quite frankly. I doubt very much whether I will ever be happy with it, but I would like to at least reach a level where I could play with other people and not feel I was ruining the music.

However, my main instrument is the mandolin, and I have had the experience over the last few years of reaching a level of confidence on that instrument that I never came close to during the first 30 years I played it, and it is a great feeling. I am certainly not "satisfied" with my playing and never will be, but I'm certainly "happy" with it, relatively speaking.

Is Paul Franklin "satisfied" with his playing? I'd guess not, because the better musician you are, the more you can "hear" the instrument doing (I guess). No matter where you are, there's more "out there."

Cheers,
Alan Shank