How to find a teacher?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Vern Wall

How to find a teacher?

Post by Vern Wall »

I bought a dobro last April and I am getting nowhere trying to learn it by myself. I went back to the store, and then to several other stores to inquire about teachers. They all gave me a sad look and said they didn't know any in this area.

Any advice?
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Vern, I ran into the same situation when I started out with my dobro, no one around here to get lessons from so I opted for one of the many many videos that are out there now. I started out with the Dan Huckabee video that covered all the basics and got me playin stuff right off but I'm sure any of the others would be good too. What kind of music do you want to play with it?
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Hey man where do you find a Dan Huckabee video? I'm thinking about getting a dobro to learn along with my lap steel and I'm all but certain that I'm going to run into the same problem of having no local teacher.

Rick
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Well guys, first determine what tuning you want to use and what type of music you want to play then look at these links to get some ideas.
Dobro Videos
Dobro Dvd's
Dan Huckabee Video
good luck guys.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Andy Sandoval on 08 October 2005 at 09:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Gilbert

Post by Billy Gilbert »

Jimmie Heffernan's "Resophonic Guitar
fr0m Scratch" is a 2 DVD plus a Tab book that will get you started right. Shoot me an email and I'll give you his address or web site. Image Billy<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 08 October 2005 at 06:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Check with the Online Steelers to see if there's someone in your area. Otherwise, videos may be your best bet.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Kevin Bullat

Post by Kevin Bullat »

Yeah, for most folks NOT living in Nashville, I've found the best way is a mix of videos and banging your head against the wall until you master it.

(I'm still banging my head quite a bit)