David Bromberg Band

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Papanek

David Bromberg Band

Post by Paul Papanek »

Just pulled out David Bromberg's 1976 album (CD, actually) "Midnight on the Water." I had forgotten all the great, really tastey psg on that record. Is that Doug Jernigan on those tracks? I seem to remember seeing his name in one of the many line-ups that Bromberg had over the years...
Bob Miano
Location: Bergenfield, N.J. (home of "some" country music) - deceased

Post by Bob Miano »

Hey Paul,
I dug out Bromberg's "How Late'll You Play To" LP and found Hank DeVito on that one. I'm not sure about the one you mentioned.

Bob Miano
Bergenfield, NJ
Steve Frost

Post by Steve Frost »

I'm recalling that it was Buddy Cage, but I could be mistaken...
Wayne Franco

Post by Wayne Franco »

One of the hottest steel guitar solo's I've ever heard was on a David Bromberg album. It's been so long ago I can't remember the song but I do remember it was Buddy Emmons. Very chordie song with a killer steel guitar solo.
Charles Dempsey

Post by Charles Dempsey »

Midnight on the water:

Buddy Cage, PSG on Dark Hollow
Buddy Cage and "Red" Rhodes, PSG on Mr. Blue

No PSG credits listed on "Bandit in a Bathing Suit" (Special! $2.99!).

I understand Mr. Bromberg has retired and is living in Chicago or therebouts.

Charlie
John Ciano

Post by John Ciano »

Charlie, Bromberg started playing out again about three years ago that I know of. I have seen him three times since then and I am going to see him next month at the N.J. Performance Center in Newark with Mark O'Conner as the warm-up act. Bromberg is the coolest person on the planet. He was in Chicago but is now living in Delaware. Ya'll need to see him. He is a great player and has a great band especially the cornet
(trumpet) player Peter Ekland.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I have that album... Geez... I haven't pulled it out in 20 years or more I'll bet..bob
Paul Papanek

Post by Paul Papanek »

All these Bromberg fans! I've always thought that he never got the accolades he deserved. What an incredible guitarist/multi-instumentalist! I also heard that he's been playing out again, but unfortunately, he never comes out to the West Coast. I'm jealous of all of you East Coasters who get to see him. And thanks for clearing up the question of who played on the album...