Newbie Says Hello

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

George Redmon

Newbie Says Hello

Post by George Redmon »

Hi; just want to introduce myself, and say thank you for a great outlet for new ideas and news and advice about the instrument that i love best the Pedal Steel, and Steel Guitar. My father played pedal steel, an old Sho~Bud Pro. After his death, i had to pay my family to keep from selling it at a swap meet for $50. It was a great old steel, layed under my bed for about 5 years..got tired of moving it around to clean under the bed..decided to set it up and TRY to play it. I have been hooked ever since!.. i currently play a single neck Whitney 12 string keyless 8 floor 5 knee tuned to what i call an "Extended C6th"...and i use a Webb amp. along with all sorts of goodies like a pod, and other effects..some i like..some i don't..anyways..i am an "Older" player...and enjoy the older music, swing, jazz, but i hope to contribute, and i am learning alot from you fella's God Bless Each one here who gives us old dogs new tricks..thanks
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Welcome George!!.. you'll make a lot of friends here.
$50 at a swap meet??... Someone wasn't thinking clearly!... Glad you prevailed.. You will enjoy your time here... bob<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 11 April 2005 at 03:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Ditto on what Bob said!!!
And glad to see ya here..

Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/4, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

George, welcome to the chat house. Glad you're aboard and there's some great folks here.... a couple of ole soreheads, but we condone. Image

You have a steel guitar legend in your state and if you have any tuning question, I bet he can answer them. Mr. Al Marcus it is. Great guy and smart too. Wonder how in the heck that happened? Image

phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Klaus Caprani

Post by Klaus Caprani »

Welcome aboard George Image

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

John Davis

Post by John Davis »

" a couple of ole soreheads, but we condone. "

Hi George
from one of the ole soreheads ( I am trying to be civil)
JD
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Welcome to this Great Forum & your second home George Image
Nice to have to you & yer ShoBud aboard.
a lot of great folks & plenty of good advice
all fer the askin' Image
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Welcome George Image

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112

Strats thru a tweed Bassman

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Thank You so very much for the warm welcome guys. Just confirms my suspicions that indeed Steel Players are a cut above your average musicians. Fred i don't think i know Al Marcus....but sure would like to. Also CrowBear..yes i still have my Dads old ShoBud..plays like a new one..however i don't play it anymore, i prefer to play my Whitney..i have talked with my mother, and we have been kicking around the idea of giving the ShoBud to a very serious student of the pedal steel guitar who might not be able to afford one..{Please don't flood me with e mails} it's just a thought..they would however have to make a contribution to the forum, and i would need input as to who to give it to..but for now..IT'S JUST A THOUGHT!...and we do have some fine steel players in Michigan, LT Zinn, Frank Rogers, Ron Lawerance, Butch Broad. I have Arthritis and am really crippled up by it...both knees are gone and both ankles. i get cortosome injections in my ankles and also have enbrel injections twice weekly...but i still love to play when my health allows....Thank You Again...God Bless

------------------
Whitney Single 12 8Fl & 5 kn,Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 Pod...i was keyless..when keyless wasn't cool....
Bill Bosler

Post by Bill Bosler »

Welcome aboard, George! This group is the greatest resource you'll ever find for info on steel guitars in particular and music in general. A great bunch!
Jo Ann Joyce

Post by Jo Ann Joyce »

Hi George, glad you joined the Forum! One thing's for sure...I have never sought an answer to a steel guitar question and not found some very good answers here, and there are so many thoughtful and considerate fellow members that I can't imagine these pages not existing. Enjoy :-)
Yours,
Jo Ann
Dave A. Burley

Post by Dave A. Burley »

George,
I really enjoyed your post as you brought back a lot of memories of your father from the days that I picked around Muskegon, Mich.
It was also great to see Ron Lawrence's name mentioned as Ron, your father and just a couple others were all there were on the pedal steel back in the day.
I remember your father's Sho-Bud and I recall my interest in the steel in those days and my envy of your father having such a great instrument.
I don't know if you ever heard me play or not. I wasn't very good but did play an old Fender 400. My main instrument was electric guitar, if you recall.
Best to you and thanks for bringing back the memories.
Dave A. Burley
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Hi Dave;
Do i ever remember you, and the days you played on WZZM TV13 This Morning Show. I also played on your radio show as a child...it was on WMUS. i remember watching you and Ron play on TV as i was waiting for the school bus....i was ummmm well young...i am in my 50's now! But i have never been able to find a duo that played so well as the Julian Tharpe Jimmy Bryant show you produced at the Ramada Inn in Muskegon. I have been all over the country, as well as canada...and have NEVER heard a guitar player and steel player top it, any duo, any type of music! remember those great shows you produced at the Horse Shoe Lounge? on stage at one time..Chaulker, Emmons, Andersen, Jernigen, Tharpe..forget who else all on stage at once..all day! a couple of weeks ago we put on a Jam had Janie Lambert there, as well as Earl Tuzan..i have pictures i can send you..they are still well!..we miss you here in Muskegon..and i am so glad to hear from you after how long 30 or 35 years? do you still play? didn't you play a fender jag? or Jazz Master on TV? thank you so very much for even remembering a little kid like me after all these years..my goodness...take care Dave..and lets please stay in touch and visit sometime...God Bless

------------------
Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 Pod...i was keyless...when keyless wasn't cool....