Mooney - I'll Go Back To Her

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Hyman

Mooney - I'll Go Back To Her

Post by Jeff Hyman »

RCA recently released a CD titled "Are You Ready For The Country". It has a song named "I'll go back to her (where I'm wanted)" which has one of Mooneys finest solos. The CD is hard to find... so if you see it you may want to grab it.

Jeff Hyman
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Is this a Waylon Jennings album or an
instrumental by Mooney?

------------------
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I've heard it by Waylon. Great song, great steel.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

That's a great cut by Waylon with RM on steel. I wonder who wrote the song though. The melody is the exact same as an old Wynn Stewart tune called "Donna on my Mind" only slower.....JH in Va.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

This is one of them tunes I play in the attic studio, but crank up the volume so's the neighbors up the street can enjoy it too. Had the LP for years and this track was pretty well worn down to the other side. Finally got the CD several months ago (it's on a "double album" CD). Never tire of hearing one of RM's finest pieces. Have tried for a long time to figure it out.
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Found it on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4714008145&rd=1#DESCDATA

Donna On My Mind sounded like Rainy Day Woman... not I'll go back to her.

jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

I'll Go Back To Her is a great song!! Mooney at his best!
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Wrong Jeff, DOMM doesn't sound anything like Rainy Day Woman, the only thing similar are the chord changes. The melody line to "Donna" is almost exact to I'll Go Back to Her.....JH in Va.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Waylon wrote "I'll Go Back to Her". I've got it by Dwight Yoakum on his "Last Chance for a Thousand Years" CD. Don't know who played steel on Dwight's cut but it is excellent.

------------------
John Parker
Zumsteel SD10 3x5
Peavey Session 400
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Gary Morse did Dwight's version. Gary had tickets for my wife & I Deb, backstage at the show he did some years back at Mystic Lake.
Brent LaBeau

Post by Brent LaBeau »

A little trivia, FWIW.
"Are You Ready For The Country"
Recorded by Waylon Jennings.
Written by Neil Young.
Who'da thunk it?

Rev.LaBeau
Joe Yednasty

Post by Joe Yednasty »

Ralph Mooney plays "I'll Go Back To Her" so good that it makes me wanna go back to her.........and I don't even know who she is. That is my all-time favorite steel guitar lick/solo by my favorite steel guitar player and it's great to know that others agree.

------------------
"Eskimo" Joe Yednasty

Emmons P/P S-10
Peavey Session 500

Ralph Mooney Fan

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Well hell... Here it is. Forgot where I got it.

Can't beat Waylon and Mooney. No doubt.

EJL
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Thanks for the clip Eric..Man that Mr Moon
can sure pick-what a style!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So sweet & pure!!! Ron
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Good Lord...y'all are kidding me, right?!

Is that <u>really</u> what all you guys have been ravin' about? Image

Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

It don;t get no better boys, donnie what the hell you mean, thats worth raving about.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Well, I went back and listened to the clip Eric posted...thinking I might have made a rash judgement. And then I listened again. Then, I decided I wasn't changing my opinion. While it is representative of Mooney, and his sound and style, I just don't personally think it's that good. It's pitchy in a couple of places, and there's some "irregular" volume pedal work. Now, it sounds like it's a live cut, and that might explain some of the deficiencies, but really guys, Moon's done a <u>lot</u> better stuff than that!

I was listening to Ralph long before Waylon came along. To be honest, I'm not crazy about hardly <u>any</u> of Moon's work behind Waylon (though "Good Hearted Woman" is pretty nice). I really like his earlier stuff a lot better, like the stuff he did with Wynn Stewart, Johnny and Joannie Mosby, and Bobby Durham. (That's the stuff I patterened my early playing after.) And, I especially like the sides he cut with Gary Dean! That was some of the hottest sounding, best licks, ever put on record!

Moon's one of my favorites, always has been. I just don't want any of the newer players to think that the clip Eric graciously posted was some of Moon's best work.

IMHO, it's not. I'm sorry if y'all don't agree, but I call 'em as I see 'em. Or, in this case, as I hear 'em. Image
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Tp me what sticks out is how hard it is to play with very little reverb, and in the manner that "the artist" wants it. I think that was the case with a lot of psg. If I remember right Good hearted woman had lots of reverb. Probably something Mr M had to fight on a regular basis. That's what I heard anyhow..

When challenged by a guy to play "like mooney", after listening to a lot of it, I decided it was too hard on my nerves to play the straight raw style, and with no "reverb" to help out. This from a guy that couldn't play three Don Rich licks, so I shined it on..

I played once with Jimmy Patton before he died, and he always liked a lot of "Tin" on it. I'd adjust the treble til my teeth hurt, and I play with a lot of high end anyway, and he'd want even more, and he didn't like reverb either...

I've noticed too at the risk of igniting another whateveryoucallit, that on Bobbe Seymore's Master's Collection, the round taken by say Jimmy Day, were the ones I invariably like listening to, didn't necessarily have the most perfect intonation. At least on passing chords, but it had the most listenability to me.

There's a lot more to it than intonation, that's for sure.

I'll take part in yet another lesson in it tonite.

For a goodly sum, considering..

EJL
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

I dug out an old tape that I have of this album just to give it a listen. the real jewell on this tape for me was MacArthur Park. All I can say is WOW! classic country rock with an absolutely haunting steel guitar sound. Oh my goodness!
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Eric and Donny, a few years ago The Moon went to Des Moines with me for about 10 days.Moon does not like to jam or be put on the spot.It just makes him nervous.Anyway,as we were tuning up he cranked up his reverb and looked across at me and said"is that to much reverb"? I repied "no, not for me".My buddy piped up" its a little much for me".The Moon looked him right in the eye and repied" I ain't doin this fer you"!I'm like Donny in that I loved the Mooney sound back in the 50's and 60's.I tell him that Waylon took the best damn steel player off the market when he hired Moon.There is a lot of "stuff" that he did with Waylon that was relly great! Regards!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

You're right, Fred. I wish I could put a clip of Moon's early stuff on here. But until then, there's plenty of places to hear his earlier stuff in all it's glory. Moon was as commercial as anyone, but I guess he found that the bouncy, single-string style was more identifiable and unique. Anyhow, he built himself a legacy playing that way. I'd just like the younger players to know that he was indeed a hot, solid, "commercial" player at one time, and didn't have to take a back seat to anyone.

Here's a little Mooney thing (from a Johnnie and Joannie Mosby song) that I think all you old-timers have heard, and that you youngsters might enjoy. A good clip, but still only a hint of his true talent...

Click here<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 03 April 2005 at 04:03 PM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Thats what I grew up on! Thats what we heard on the radio in So cal too. I loved it then and I still find his playing very refreshing to this day. Regards, Fred
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Waylon wrote "I'll go back to her"
The cd has his name in ( )
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Donny Hinson,

It's nice to agree to disagree. When I started this thread it was just to make notice a great Moony ride from the only
Waylon album that had that cut "I'll go back to her". It still remains one of my favorite rides from my favorite steel player of all time.

On another topic... I live in Mt Airy which is not to far from you. I would really like to come out to one of your gigs and listen to you play. I've heard lots of nice things about your playing. I'm sure we'd enjoy having a cold beer too. Let me know.

Jeff Hyman
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I have to agree w/ Donny Hinson. That Mooney solo from "I'll Leave the Front door Open" by Johnny and Joanie Mosby is my all time Mooney favorite.

I picked up a copy of it at Ernest Tubb's Record shop in 1971, before ever owning a steel.

It moved me so much, I learned it on regular guitar.

About a year later I was fortunate enough to swap a 66 Dodge Dart with Lucky Oceans for his original S-10 Sho-Bud (the steel on the 1st AATW album).

That solo was the first thing I learned on steel. It took about 2 months before it even remotely resembled the recording....35 years later, I still can't get it as sweet as Moon did.