Pedal Steel Questions

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Harold Williamson

Pedal Steel Questions

Post by Harold Williamson »

I've been watching all the questions about Sho-Buds on the forum, and got curious about my Pro III Custom. On sunday I sent an email to Ricky Davis asking him questions about it. He emailed me back sunday letting me know what he needed before he could give an answer. I sent him the pictures of the steel and its workings on tuesday, and recieved an answer back the same day about the info on my steel. He said that mine was a 1976, and one of the good ones. It takes a special person to take the time to answer questions from complete strangers, and a beginner to steel guitar. He is definitely a true friend to the forum.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Ricky is too cool for school Image
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

What Hook said...

BF
Billy Woo

Post by Billy Woo »

"What Bill Said"..

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

Yes, Ricky helped me out with Sho-Bud questions and posted pictures for me when I sold a guitar. He really does go out of his way for people. I guess a lot of us could 'take a page from his book'.
Savell

Post by Savell »

.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Savell on 29 May 2005 at 06:51 PM.]</p></FONT>
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

People like Ricky and others (Fred, Erv, Tom, Bobbe, Reece, etc.......) are what makes this forum so great. I am a total newbie with no musical background and they have taken the time to answer some of my dumb questions. I have learned ALOT!! My playing still sucks, and I have a lot more to learn, but not once has anyone made me feel stupid for asking dumb questions. In what other forum are you able to get away with this without being flamed?? I dare say "none".
This place is with out a doubt, the best on the net. I appologize for those who's names I did not post, but I gotta keep this short or no one will read it Image

------------------
1974 MSA D10 7+4
If you ain't steelin' it, you ain't feelin' it !!

www.steelin4fun.com

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Don Poland on 30 March 2005 at 10:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Don Discher

Post by Don Discher »

Great guy to have around for sure and he has a real nice website as well.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

You guys are too kind> it's all in a days work.... Image Image

------------------
Ricky Davis
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@austin.rr.com

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Ricky, how does one tell the good Pro IIIs from the bad ones. I've heard the bad ones have pot metal hardware, but how does one know that?
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

<SMALL>Ricky, how does one tell the good Pro IIIs from the bad ones. I've heard the bad ones have pot metal hardware, but how does one know that?</SMALL>
Send me a picture David; and I'll tell ya...ha
When the Sho-bud has the hex crossbars with Straight knee levers and the mountings and rod pullers that go with it; than it is the pot metal mechanism(although it's not a bad sound; it's the sound of Sho-bud I don't care for).
But the transition from round crossbars with two hole pullers and Curved knee levers(the model and earlier that I like); to the hex crossbars; had the potmetal finger tops first; and those are still a great sounding Sho-bud; but there was some wearing problems with the fingers between the pivots because of the pot metal and chromed; but it's not a huge problem if you just switch the fingers around to the pulls that need the non-worn part..ha.
Ricky
Bennie Hensley

Post by Bennie Hensley »

My thanks for all the help you have given me too Ricky. Bennie