lap steel case has moldy odor.....help?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Chris LeDrew

lap steel case has moldy odor.....help?

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I just got a really nice National lap steel in great shape. It has hardly been used since it was made in 1962, but that's where the problem arises of a smelly case. The guitar is not so bad, but the case smells very moldy - although there is no mold on it. I tried Frebreeze and fabric softeners, but nothing seems to work. It's the original case and I'd prefer to keep using it.

Any suggestions for getting rid of this musty odor?
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Let the case set open in the hot sun for a couple of days. NR
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

I had a bad one years ago. I tried a few things but finally just left a sheet of bounce in it. That masked the odor. I'm sure someone will have a better solution. Good luck, Ron
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

I used a little "Febreeze"....ask the wife for some. It has worked for me....A few sprays and leave the case open a couple days should do the trick.
Ray Riley

Post by Ray Riley »

I have a 1951 National MOT . I just add better smelling Mold. Kidding of course. Try a long open box of ARM and Hammer soda with the case closed for acouple of weeks then try the sun thing. I know you will take the soda out as it will absorb the fragrance .Hope it helps. If not just sue me. Ray

------------------
Sho-Bud S-12 and a brand new N112
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Be careful with the Febreze, though, I have had stain problems in the past with it. It works best if you apply 5 or 6 very light sprays at a time and let it dry. do that a few times and it should kill the mildew smell. I think they even make a special mildew odor version.
Kevin Bullat

Post by Kevin Bullat »

I don't usually admit these sorts of things in public, but I have at late 40's Supro and the case does have that funcky, musty molding smell.

And..., well..., ah..., I like that musty smell

(smells like victory).
Brian Beebe

Post by Brian Beebe »

I have the same problem with my Stringmaster case. I heard that coffee will absorb smells, much like baking soda. Of course then your guitar will smell like coffee instead of an old guitar.
Al Miller

Post by Al Miller »

Hey Cris!!
That smell isnt mold Its "TONE"
i have an old gibson D-8 that was my fathers and it smells like what you describe and i think of my dads tone every time i open that case and smell that smell
Just thought i would share that with ya good luck ..
Boo Miller
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Up this way there is a product called "DEODOR ROCK". It is about the size of a hockey puck. Put it where the odor is and within a few days the odor is absorbed by the rock. No kidding. Image
Steve Pierce

Post by Steve Pierce »

Sunlight is the best at getting rid of mold. I don't know if you're getting a lot of sun these days, but direct sunlight is the sworn enemy of mold.

------------------
Steve Pierce
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Instead of masking the odor, it may be wiser to get rid of the bacteria that is causing the odor.

There are lots of sprays and soaps on the market that kills mold bacteria. Hence, once the mold is gone, so is the odor.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Just checking in, getting back from a gig......what a laugh I'm having at some of the answers!

Thanks for all the tips.....I'll put them to use and see what happens. The sun thing may be a problem, seeing that I live on a rock off the east coast of Canada. The baking soda idea seems promising....if I find a solution amongst the suggestions, I'll post it.

Sincerely,

Chris
Kris Oka

Post by Kris Oka »

Ok, a mold is a fungus among us and not a bacteria. A fungicide may work better but I am not sure you would want to spray your instrument with it. Molds do not like a dry environment. Sun and dry air may be your best bet but it is not going to happen over night. Just a thought.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

<SMALL>I like that musty smell</SMALL>
Kevin, man you are hardcore.
I like it too, in small doses . .

In those days they made glue out of Ol' Dobbin,
which might have something to do with the smell.
Being stored unopened 50 years in an attic brings it to its full ripeness. Optional aromas include mildew, dentures, b.o., cigarets, cigars, beer, whiskey, and cheap perfume.

We should all be very thankful that the guitar itself doesn't stink like the case does.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Ya, the guitar isn't too bad after it has been away from the case for a while. The case itself? It can clear a room.
Joy Wofford

Post by Joy Wofford »

Ok, here's my .02 on this. Fill the case with about half a bag of charcoal briquets. Make sure you don't use the kind that's pretreated with lighter fluid. Just plain old charcoal. First line the bottom of the case with a TON of newspapers. Has to be newspapers cause they also absorb odors and moisture. Close the case for a couple of days...then open, dump, and reline the case and use the second half of the bag of charcoal. Do the whole thing over again. Febreeze can eat the finish off your instrument if you use too much of it in the fabric of the case and then it happens to get damp in the future and rub against your instrument. Fabric softener sheets leave a residue that can leave oily spots in finish.

Joy<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joy Wofford on 02 October 2005 at 10:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Place a Cling Free sheet (like you put in the dryer) in the case.
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

I too am a connoisseur of the musty case smell, but a little goes a long ways. Image
In the May '04 issue of Vintage Guitar mag George Gruhn had this remedy;

"If the case is dry, vacuum it thoroughly and treat it with Carpet Fresh or something similar. Sprinkle it all around inside the case, then close it for a few days. Open the case and vacuum again. This will take care of the mold and the odor!
Remember to read the instructions on any products you use.-Sam Calveard"

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 02 October 2005 at 03:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Chris --
Maybe some Dulse chips hah hah.
Joseph Rush Wills

Post by Joseph Rush Wills »

I've heard newspaper will absorb oders from books; you might try stuffing the case with it and leaving it for a few days.
Good Luck!
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Always pay attention to a woman! Her name is Joy. Image