Please identify this steeler.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Beall

Please identify this steeler.

Post by Bill Beall »

I picked up a Gospel CD by Timothy Freeman titled "The Other side of Broken" not long ago. It has some great songs on it and some GREAT steel guitar. The steeler is a real killer player. Anyone know who he/she might be?? Better yet, if this player is a member of this forum (probably is, most steelers are) please identify yourself and take a bow.

nuthin sings like a steel.

Bill
MSA D-10 8+5, Randall Commander.
John Hughey

Post by John Hughey »

Hey Bill,
I played on an album with Timothy Freeman but I'm not sure of the title. I'll look thru my CDs and see if it's the same one.
If it is me, thanks so much for the compliment
John Hughey
Bill Beall

Post by Bill Beall »

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply. I have to say that the steel work on the CD reminded me a great deal of your sound and style but I could not find credits on the insert so there was no way I could be sure but a lot of the style sounded like what I heard on your "He Touched Me" CD. BTW, great work on that one.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

John also played on a great gospel album by Tim Spell, from Louisiana I think. There is one song on there "When God Unfolds The Rose" that was written by a friend of Tim's and John knocked it out of the park with his steel work. Tim did a concert at our church a year or two ago and our band backed him up, but I could not do that song justice as John did.

BTW John, I bought your Evans AE-100 amp from Jean (you weren't at the booth at the time) at the Texas show and it is working out great. It handles steel surprisingly well, even though I mainly bought it for guitar. I had been looking for one of these for several months, and never expected to find one at the show. Thanks for bringing it along.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

<SMALL>BTW John, I bought your Evans AE-100 amp from Jean</SMALL>
I sure hope John knew she was selling it! Image Image
Sounds like something my wife might do WITHOUT my knowledge of it! Image

Lem
Bill Beall

Post by Bill Beall »

Hi Darvin,

Tim Freeman is from Louisiana also, Alexandria to be precise. The title cut on the CD I have is a fantastic song "The Other Side of Broken". If you haven't heard this CD you ought to try to get it. Tim attends the big Pentecostal Church there in Alexandria.

Are you any relation to the Wilhoites (not sure of the spelling) that had a publishing house in Houston several years ago? I think the name of the business was Search for Truth. I knew them many years ago.

Bill

nuthin' sings like a steel

MSA D-10, 8+5, Randall Commander
John Hughey

Post by John Hughey »

Hi Bill,
I checked the CD and it is me. Like you said, it doesn't give the normal credits. It just says that John Hughey, Dawn Sears & Jeff White appeared as guest.
Thanks again for the kind words.

Darvin, glad you like the amp. I have another one just like it that I want to keep just for small jobes.
BTW, can the Tim Spell CD be bought in the stores or do you have to order it from him. I would like to have a copy if I can find it.

LeM, Jean said that she wouldn't do me like that. Ha!!!!
John Hughey
Jack Solomon

Post by Jack Solomon »

Hey John, Is that the same amp that got drenched in a show we did together in Pa.? Jack
Bill Beall

Post by Bill Beall »

Thanks, John. Again, it is some very tasteful steel work done on that CD. I can't say enough about it.

Bill
MSA D-10, 8+5
Darvin Willhoite

LOL If this amp did get drenched, it is a testament to Evans amps. It works, looks, and sounds great.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Darvin Willhoite

John, I bought my Tim Spell CD from Tim the last time he was at our church. I think our church bookstore has them, I'll check this weekend and if not, I'll find out where they are available.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

"When God Unfolds the Rose" is a beautiful song. I played steel on an album with a group form a Pentecostal church in Louisiana that recorded it. The demo they brought in to "copy" sure sounded like my friend, HUGHEY!! Great job!! But, you sure make it tough on us!!