Masons and Shriners

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Raised in John B. Garrett Lodge #711 in Nashville 1976.
Went through the Scottish Rite in Nashville with Brother David Jackson and Brother Jim Vest and transfered my membership to Birmingham when I moved back home. Was awarded KCCH in 1981.
Belong to Zamora Shrine Temple, Birmingham.
I had the pleasure of being taught my Masonic lessons by Brother Ron Elliott.
Thanks Brother Ron for all your time and help.
I am also a 3rd generation Past Master of my lodge here.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Brethren, we have here an example of why many Masonic lodges are having a difficult time attracting and making new Masons. Tim Harr had no idea of what Masons are and what we do. More public awareness of the virtues and civic accomplishments of the Craft is needed (like the hospital volunteer work, the Shrine burn centers, the school adoption programs, etc.) and less public focus on the "secret" esoteric work, which tends to alienate outsiders.

The misguided attempts by a few well-meaning but ill-informed individuals in our society to paint Masonry in an unholy, unChristian light is also something that must be overcome.

So mote it be.

Brad, you'd be a good Mason if you ever wanted to petition the Lodge. But you will never be approached, you must seek it out for yourself. Just ask, and a petition will be given to you.

Other steel guitar Brethren I'm aware of: Al Brisco, John Hughey, and Herby Wallace.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Roger Light

Post by Roger Light »

Currenty Senior Warden of Sheldon Lodge #609 in Sheldon, IL
32nd Degree @ Valley of Danville, Illinois Consistory
Mahommed Shriners
A.A.O.N.M.S. OF PEORIA, IL

I'd say by the looks of the replies to this, we are all very proud Masonic Steelers!
So mote it be.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Still not convinced I understand what it is all about... Many people are affiliated...

I guess I won't worry about it. I usually do not pursue anything until I have at least a working knowledge of what it is I am going after... a need..

Secret - mystique - why? How will you get anyone involved if it is so secret?

Have a happy Thanksgiving all!
Roger Light

Post by Roger Light »

Tim,
Quote from The Northern Light Magazine, Nov '04
"Basically, the secrets of Masonry are the means and modes of recognition whereby one Mason may recognize another in public or private."
My Dad always told me before I joined, "The lodge is an organization with secrets, not a secret organization."

Really enjoyed your playing at Steel Jam '04. Hope to see ya next year! (how's that for gettin' back on topic?) <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roger Light on 24 November 2004 at 12:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Tim (and any other curious lurkers):

The Masons are a fraternity, and like any fraternal organization, we have certain rituals and means of identifying each other, handed down over the roughly 300 years the modern-day Masonic Order has been around, that we like to keep "mysterious," meaning revealed only to members.

However, we tend to wear gaudy jewelery, belt buckles, pins, etc. with the most common symbol of Masonry, the square and compasses with a big "G" in the middle. So we're not the least bit shy about identifying ourselves as Masons.

And you've undoubtedly seen the symbol on buildings in towns you've visited, but probably weren't curious enough to investigate. Masonry is a philanthropic organization, and as such many local lodges... fraternal halls and their membership... get involved in civic affairs.
There are many Masonic lodges, or at least were, in the military. For example, my lodge is about half retired Air Force personnel.

Most Masons became "brethren" for two reasons: 1) either a close family member like dad, granddad, uncle, etc., or a close friend was a Mason, or 2) curiosity about the organization and the works it performs prompts a man to get involved.

But a Mason will never ask someone to become a Mason, the man must ask for himself. If he does ask, he will surely be lead to the door of the Lodge.

Basic, or "Blue Lodge" Masonry, in which the majority of the study necessary to join occurs, consists of three levels, or "degrees," the initiate must attain over the course of a year; the 3rd of which is that of "Master Mason." Earning each of these degrees involves individual teaching by trained Masons who want very much for the initiate to succeed. Most brothers reach the 3rd degree, Master Mason, in a few months or less. Learning the material is somewhat time consuming, of course.

There are in fact advanced degrees in other Masonic organizations, or "Rites," but most of the true "work" involved in becoming a Mason is contained in the three basic degrees, the others being quite ceremonial. The Shriners are advanced degree Masons who socialize together and raise money for worthy civic causes.

I became a Mason because my dad was one, and wanted me to become one, though he never asked. I had to seek it out myself, which I did when I spotted the "G" on the ring of a friend of mine. I then was more than enthusiastically helped by many wonderful men I met, some of whom are on this forum... Bobby Bowman, Lynn Owsley, and Lee Baucum among them.

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 24 November 2004 at 01:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Is it also secular or is there some religious affiliation?
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Tim H....Were you to research it, you may be surprised to learn how many great men in American history were Masons, and how many great men there are among us now in everyday life who are Masons.

I'll never forget my first visit to the Scottish Rite childrens hospital in Dallas. (of which my little grandson is a patient) It was very emotional for me to know I was part of an organization that does so much for so many little children. Additionally there's many other charities in which the Masons participate, which includes Masonic retirement centers all over the country.

When I petitioned I knew little more than you about the Masonic order, but I believed following in the foot steps of such great men whom I admired and respected (such as my father) was all I needed to inspire me to ask for a petition.
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Jim, there is no exclusive religious affiliation, although belief in a supreme being is a requirement. Which supreme being, is entirely up to you. Image
A common misconception is that Roman Catholics are not welcomed as Masons. This is entirely false. I have two fine Roman Catholic friends who are members of the local lodge. The Catholic church however, does not encourage participation in such "secret societies". In some areas, dispensation from the Bishop is required to join a Lodge. (Actor Danny Kaye springs to mind). That's where the misconception comes from... and perhaps may explain the origins of the Knights Of Columbus, although I can't say for sure about that.
When visiting lodges in more urban areas, I've been warmed by the fact the the membership there included most, if not all of the major religions. There is a common thread.
Herb, I think you're exactly right on that. We have recently starting announcing meetings in the local paper again, after not doing it for 75 years or more.
-John
p.s. I'm proud to say I sponsored Al Brisco when he became a Mason.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Another note: If and when you go to the theater to see "National Treasure", don't believe the Masonic hype that is part of the theme. According to the movie's writer, centuries ago the Masons uncovered a huge cache of buried treasure and kept it secret from the rest of the world. Later the treasure was brought to the U.S., by Masons, and cleverly hidden from the British. While it makes for a wonderful tale, there is no truth to the story.

At least that's what I was told to say! Image

Lee
Tommy Allison

Post by Tommy Allison »

Past Master Kedron Lodge no. 389, member Valley of New Castle
Joe Finley

Post by Joe Finley »

Past Master and Secretary of Ozark Lodge No. 79. 32 DEG Scottish Rite.

Tim H.
Brother Reece Anderson spoke about the great men of Masonry. George Washington is one of the first to come to mind as were many that signed the Declaration of Independence. If you look at the wording and structure of the courts,legal wording, government documents and any organization that has a set order to the way they conduct business comes from men of Masonry that used that structure in the setting up of our country or any organization that they were involved with.

One of the neat things is that the lecture work, which is part of the initiation, and the ritual work is all done by memory. When a brother teaches a new candiate about Masonry, it is all told to the candiate and not read. An active member will have alot of words committed to memory. You can also travel to other lodges and visit if you have set in lodge with a brother present, otherwise you will be tested.

Mozart didnt play pedal steel but he was a Mason. Mel Tillis is a Brother that puts on a great benifit show each year for kids.
The kids that need the hospitals or burn centers can go for free. Also Scotish Rites have a reading program to help kids.

Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Herb, you and Roger have done an excellent job of explaining the Craft to the uninitiated (pun NOT intended Image)
A lot of well-meaning Christians have condemned Masonry, as a non-Christian, even Satanic organization. Simply not true. Masonry is a fraternity, NOT a religion, and those who see it as a religion, or a denomination, are simply wrong!
We do have our secret signs, handshakes, passwords---but so did the He-Man-Woman-Haters' club, on the Little Rascals.
I am very proud to be a Master Mason, and even prouder of my Christianity.
Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Gentlemen - Especially Herb S,

Thanks for the in depth glimpse into the world of the Mason. I am somewhat intrigued.

Thanks again Steel Brothers!

------------------
Tim Harr
Carter D-10 8p & 9k w/ BL-705s; Hilton pedal; Webb 6-14E Amplifier

http://groups.msn.com/TimHarrWebPage/yourwebpage.msnw

Don Sowersby

Post by Don Sowersby »

Master Mason, Belton Lodge #166, Belton Tx. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Don Sowersby on 24 November 2004 at 09:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Greg Derksen

Post by Greg Derksen »

Reece , Forgive my ignorance, but
is there any conflict in your mind about,
what takes priority if one would be a believer, Christ or Masonry?
Also these "secrets", what would the purpose be? Again forgive my ignorance, this is not intended to provoke, more as curiousity,
Greg
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Virginia lodge # 31 Marion, Va.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Greg,
I would like to have the opportunity to answer your question. In Masonry, your first priority is to God,and He MUST come first in your life. As far as the secrets go,re-read all of the great discourses above. I too had some reservations when I first petitioned the fraternity. There is absolutely NOTHING in Masonry that conflicts with my religious beliefs. What I did find was a Brotherhood among men. This is exactly what Masonry teaches through allegory. The brotherhood of man and the Fatherhood of God. We do alot of charity work,most of which you never hear about on the evening news. In most jurisdictions there are Masonic homes where elderly masons and there spouses who are destitute and/or are in poor health can go,absolutly free of charge.The Shrine Hospitals and Burn centers give care to children free of charge. Why do Masons do this ? It is what we believe in as like minded individuals. These are just two of the many examples of Masonic Philanthropy,but,there are many more.

As a Born-Again Christian, Christ takes priority over Everything in my life. While Masonic philanthropy is an example of Christ-Likeness, I cannot justfy my way into Heaven by my good deeds. There is only one way to the Father,and that is through His Son Jesus the Messiah.

In the lodge,however,proselytising(sp?) is not allowed by Anyone. It is not a religious organization per se. It is a civic organization which uses religious allegory to teach ideas. What are those ideas ? The Brotherhood of man(regardless of religious affiliation) and the Fatherhood of God.

Once again My answer is probably not as great as the rest...I am just not as well spoken as some of my Masonic brethern. I hope I have answered your questions.

------------------
D.S. Rigsby

Larry Gerdeman

Post by Larry Gerdeman »

I am past master of Perserverance Lodge # 92 Louisiana Mo. Also past secretary and currant treasure. Also 32nd valley of St. Louis. Larry
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

I'm sorry ...

I thought this tread was about Moon Shiners and I got all excited.

Its tough being a dyslexic fellow who constantly loses his reading glasses Image Image

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's House of Gauss</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>
Jimmie Misenheimer

Post by Jimmie Misenheimer »

Brother Dustin - VERY well said indeed... Jimmie
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I thought it had something to do with construction workers..

Seriously though, I learned the greatest secret of all from a Mr. Kenneth Hardesty, a Past Master of a MD Masonic Lodge. A 33rd degree from what people said.

"It's all about how much time you've got in front of you where you know what is going to happen to you."

I'm still working on it.

Also that it's best that everything you have really belongs to you.

Good Friend Mr Hardesty. Maybe by now, he's up there laughing like hell at all of those that thought he was such an old goat, from what he described as one of His Master's "many rooms".

Thanks Ken.

From Your Student of the Mysteries.

EJL
Delbert Phelps

Post by Delbert Phelps »

Master Mason, 32nd degree SR and Al Koran Shriner .Happy Thanksgiving Brothers and Nobles .<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Delbert Phelps on 25 November 2004 at 03:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Dustin, you explained the harmonious coexistence of religion and Masonry in a most excellent manner. Thanks for your eloquence.

I would only add that in Masonry, we are charged to inculcate three duties: to God, to our neighbors, and to ourselves. We are told to be temperate in our actions, honest with our fellow man, responsible to our families, and loyal citizens of our country.

I know of no religion that conflicts with those admonitions.

Brethren, the above comes directly from the Entered Apprentice Charge printed in the Monitor of the Lodge, so we are still properly tyled. Image

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 25 November 2004 at 03:33 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 25 November 2004 at 03:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Herb,
Thank you for your compliments and your addition. Very well stated. So mote it be.

------------------
D.S. Rigsby

edited for a spelling error<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dustin Rigsby on 25 November 2004 at 05:26 PM.]</p></FONT>