Newcomer

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charlie McDonald

Newcomer

Post by Charlie McDonald »

What's all this about codepedant? (Are pedal steels the dysfunctional member of the string family?) What are these finger picks for, my nose? Do you have to wear cowboy boots to play the pedal steel?

Hi; I'm new here, and I may have wandered into the wrong wroom. I'm a piano player by training (well, it has pedals), and a bass player by trade. I played piano in Joe Ely's first band in high school days in Lubbock. I concluded that it wasn't fitting, and soon learned to play the guitar (the group was the Young Folk (!)) Now I play six instruments. Course, 5 of them are guitars.
After the fretless Precision, the lap steel was an appropriate progression--just to get that sound.
So I bought a pedal steel, the infamous MSA Red Baron. It took two days to conclude it wasn't for me. (I mean, I supervised the setting up of Clint Black's grand at One World Theater in Austin--I'm a piano tuner by profession--and tuned it in the time it took to set my steel up with time left over to do chair massage on the band members; that's my other gig.) I don't remember my first piano tuning, but I know I didn't have to finish it the next morning. Imagine an instrument with 230 strings, each having two tuning devices on each!

So I sold it the next day on eBay, same way as I got it, through the 'Got-to-have-it-now' price.
In the process, as I'd been reading the Steel Guitar Forum (some people enjoy reading science fiction; I read the Steel Guitar Forum), I got in touch with Bob and another member to ask questions. They could see who they were dealing with, and were careful to add encouragement (I think they just wanted to make sure I didn't go away mad. Well, it wasn't mad, just, you know, 'mad'. But I'm not going away.)
I find this place so interesting, with pics and sound clips; but also quite supportive.
More 'professional amateurs' should peruse this forum.
So I'll be sitting in; it's a comfortable place, and I feel right at home. After getting this long introduction out of the way, perhaps I can add my two cents worth to just intonation and the equal temperament (altho I find that everybody has his own handle on the matter).
And I'll be looking for ideas on my projected 'table steel', a 10-string D13th lap steel with legs just tall enough to get past my knees. Anybody got an old dysfunctional changer I can use as a bridge? It's a beautiful thing, very massive....

As Larry Bell told me, 'Pedal steel is not for all of us. That's why Vishnu created the sitar.'
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

So did you ever replace that 'Baron?
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

Charlie- Glad you are Steelin. You mentioned JOE ELY-Was this the ELY that had the Video out a few years ago and he went down the highway tossing things out of his truck??If so- the Steel he threw out, I put together for his production Co.I built it so that it Blew Apart when it hit the highway. I would love to have a copy of the video.Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Hi Charlie. I'm a big Joe Ely fan, have been for years. Glad your here.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112

Strats thru a tweed Bassman

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

I didn't replace the red baron. I'll be putting my time and resources into a 10-string lap steel. Some of us need to keep their feet on the ground.
I seem to recall that video, Joe Ely going down the highway in a pickup. He wouldn't remember me from Adam, but I'm going to pick up a disc he's on, 'No Peddlers Allowed', to see if he really plays steel.
He was a very charismatic performer as he was getting his start here. Did 'Seven Bridges Road' solo one night; the crowd was silent. When I was in the band, the bass player was showing him all the chords.
My highlight tune was 'Tall Cool One' (of course).
Thanks for the welcome, I'll feel right at home sitting in here.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Charlie,
BTW,
The steel playing Ely is John Ely, not Joe.
Also from Texas -- don't know if they're any relation.

Good luck to you with your musical direction.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Charlie,
BTW,
The steel playing Ely is John Ely, not Joe.
Also from Texas -- don't know if they're any relation.

Good luck to you with your musical direction.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Welcome aboard Charlie, and thanks for the long intro.

As a person with a "trained ear" I can imagine how the Red Baron affected you. Those guitars have the worse cabinet drop I have ever encountered. Even an untrained ear can hear the Es change when you step on the pedals.

Anyway, it's good to have you with us. Enjoy!

Joey