Jeff Newman's CD "Once In A Lifetime"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Curtis

Jeff Newman's CD "Once In A Lifetime"

Post by Charles Curtis »

I just received a copy from Fran at [url=http://www.jeffran.com,]www.jeffran.com,[/url] and I find it just smooth and beautiful. I wish I had ordered it sooner; the man was fantastic.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

The first track has won me many converts to listening to the steel. What he did with that old "Orleans" tune is unbelievable. Chokes me up sometimes.
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

I looked all over the site and I did not see anywhere you could order this. Did I miss something??

TIA
Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

Would someone please post the list of songs on this CD?
Thanks,

Terry
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

The toll free number is there; 1-800-373-3418.....

The songs are:

l.Dance With Me
2.When I Dream
3.Who's Sorry Now
4.The Very Thought Of You
5.Canadian Sunset
6.True Love Ways
7.Pretty Woman
8.If I Had You
9.Here's That Rainy Day
10.I Don't Believe I'll Fall In Love Today
ll.Sweet Dreams
12.Old Dogs & Children & Watermelon Wine
13.I love You So Much It Hurts Me
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

I NEED that CD !
Rick Kornacker

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Having known Jeff for a good long time as a teacher, mentor, and eventually my father-in-law I have to say that his one shot at producing an instrumental album is ,in my humble opinion, one of the finest recordings I have ever had the pleasure to hear. Just when my head was still spinning from Lloyd's new CD, this came along and I just kept smiling. Many of us know that many of Jeff's school concerts and live performances contained a lot of deliberate playing for the purposes of demonstrating his style and methods, but this album is truly pure, pedal-to-the-metal incredibly tasteful playing by all involved...it makes me remember all the things that made me want to learn to play. Sincerely R.Kornacker

------------------
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

Jeff was such a fantastic teacher that to many this overshadowed his great ability, which was a shame. Many of us knew just how great he was, and as time goes on, I think he will be remembered as one of the absolute great players....the Cd is wonderful. And if you are a collector you will find at lot of great playing on other recordings. I really miss that man, he was something out of the ordinary. The steel world lost a great one. And one that did so very much for the steel...I am not sure anyone will replace him for some time..
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

That is the wrong Web site. I clicked on it and it say can not find this Web site.
sam white
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

A comma was added to the URL in the post. Here it is: http://www.jeffran.com/
David Weaver

Post by David Weaver »

I met Jeff late in 2003 when I went to his place and took the week long Workshop from him.

He was working on this CD project at the time and couldn't contain his enthusiasm...even to me, another wannabe steel student.

I bought the CD's at the last St. Louis show. They remind me of the great week I had enjoying Jeff, his humor, his talent, and his determination.

I have a few pictures from that week that I keep posted. If you want to see them, go to www.davidw.smugmug.com

He was a fascinating individual. He probably had as many friends in the flying world as he did in the steel guitar world.

I doubt that he was a wealthy man. He didn't act like it. But he lived well. I loved his home and his style.

If you look at the pictures, you will see beautiful Tennessee property....much of it his own property. To live in such a beautiful place, and to be doing what you love so much of the time...well, he was doing a lot of thing right.

Some things, money can't buy.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Weaver on 28 January 2005 at 11:27 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Weaver on 28 January 2005 at 11:29 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Weaver on 28 January 2005 at 11:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

David, Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a beautiful place.

I tried calling the 800 number to order the CD and there was no answer. I will not give up. I REALLY NEED that CD!

------------------
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

I spoke with Fran this afternoon and ordered this CD. She is such a sweet young lady Image
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

You're right Don. Fran is a sweatheart and more so when you get to know her personally. Although Jeff is no longer with us, through his work, he continues to give to the Steel Guitar community. We will continue to use his work for years to come as we strive to be anywhere close to the greats as him and others.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

I received the CD today - I am overwhelmed!
This is my new favorite steel guitar CD.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

I only wish the CD had more information on it. I would like to know what guitar or guitars he used to record the project, what amp and/or preamps he used to get that great sound. When was it recorded? Are any of these arrangements available on tab? Are the strings synth or real? (It really is hard to tell) and maybe let us in on who the musicians are on the project. This CD is certainly a fine legacy for Jeff Newman. It is his finest work and he was a Master of the Art.

I am hoping someone on the forum knows this project well enough to answer my lingering questions; meanwhile, I am listening through it again.

------------------
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Rick Kornacker

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Hi Darrell,
Perhaps I can shed some light on this subject. Jeff used his red Zum Univ-12, Profex straight into the recording console.The project was basically the work of Jeff and Billy Williams. I was surprised at how great a feel they accomplished using a drum machine. The strings were synth and the album had to be finished by Mr. Williams since it was not complete at the time of the accident. The project was ongoing for over a year's time. As for tab and tracks, I would guess that Fran would not authorize anyone to take on this project...but the excellent results of the recording will certainly be there to inspire us to learn what we may from it and I believe that Jeff would be OK with that. This info is based on what Fran related to me. The only other persons who would be able to add to this(or make further clarifications)would be Mr. Williams himself and possibly Randy B. Respectfully submitted,R. Kornacker

------------------