A "NEW" Maverick instruction course needed??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ed Naylor

A "NEW" Maverick instruction course needed??

Post by Ed Naylor »

With all the post about how bad a Steel is if it only has 1 knee lever,Has anyone thought about doing a 3/1 version of songs. Then part 2 you do a 3/4 version.In all the instruction material I have seen, probably 80% could be played on a 3/1 guitar. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Winnie Winston's book did just fine when i had my Mav'
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I think it's a better idea to encourage people to learn on a complete pedal steel. The standard tuning has at least 3 knee levers.

You can play guitar with three or even two fingers. I've seen bass players that play with one finger, moving their whole hand up and down the neck for each note. Is that a good thing to teach someone?
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

I guess my whole point is that I hate to see all these old "Limited" guitars being put aside. Even tho they have limitations, 9 out of 10 people {if they are told of the limitations} will at least find a good use for them. If nothing else they make a fine 10 string practice board, or tune to C6 as a start up from their 3/5 E9 and get familiar with C6 and then go to a D-10.ED
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>You can play guitar with three or even two fingers</SMALL>

Django sure did... Image
Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

I have seen a guitar player play with no fingers (used his feet).He played for the Pope in S.Cal. There is also a Steel Guitar player out there that plays with NO thumb.I have seen a Banjo player play with only his left thumb . My point is this,if you want something bad enough anything will work (Including a Maverick) 6 string on a 2x4 can make music.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Although I tend to agree with b0b,
<SMALL>I think it's a better idea to encourage people to learn on a complete pedal steel. The standard tuning has at least 3 knee levers</SMALL>
From a teacher's point of view, students show up here with every conceivable type of guitar- I've seen many of the older Sho-Buds that were near impossible to keep in tune, and had one or two knees at best, as well as Mavericks, Red Barons, Sidekicks, etc. I want to encourage every player to dig in and play! To persevere through the mechanical problems, to find their own voice and expression. Giving the message that they just happen to have an outmoded or "less than optimal" guitar is certainly counterproductive. I try to let them realize there are more modern alternatives with better functionality and more changes while at the same time encouraging them to fully explore what they have now. There are apparently no more of the "3 pedal, 1 knee" beasts being built- but the ones that are out there will be functioning for quite a while, in the used marketplace at a good price point for beginners, and as such we can't ignore them. Honestly, I fully expect to see some players arising who develop a style based on those limited changes that is every bit as "valid" as the Nashville "3 & 5". Heck, just go back and listen to Joaquin again... Many modern bands and recordings use 6 string lap steel- Is it just possible that every permutation of steel mechanics and style is a still-valid vehicle for self-expression and creativity? (Maybe those Multi-Kords will catch on again any day!)

Last, I can't forget that my career as a steeler, for whatever it's worth, was launched with a year of playing professionally on a Maverick. I'm sure glad it was available and I could afford it.

In answer to your original question, Ed, honestly there's always room for a new Steel course. And much like Jeff Newman's approach, I think it would be quite valuable to a beginner to have an E9 course that taught the use of pedals starting with A & B, then C and the lever lowering Es to Eb. And so on. I know when I started with Winnie's book, I was itching to have more levers on that Maverick. I figured out how to get some of those changes with slants, but a course teaching that as an alternative to just "having" three or five levers might be a good thing...
------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 28 January 2005 at 09:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

Hi Ed, good idea. How about a book of tunes in "fakebook" format? It would have both notation,and tab, and could/would be geared towards the "beginning" player.
I have been working on such a project for awhile now. It would have a single melody line, (as most "fakebooks" do.) and can be augmented with the harmony of the player's choosing. I noticed that nothing like this existed for steel, (as it does does for other instruments)and decided to try and remedy that. What do you think?
I could make a concious effort to arrange as many tunes as possible utilizing minimal knee-lever work. (Just E's to Eb, right?) Let me know what you think.

L.A.
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

L A.-Do you have a sample of your idea. If so me one and I will try it on a couple "Maverick" players and get their comments. Ed
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

Yes I believe I have one or two examples I could send you. They are just a single melody line, and utilize only A,B, and L. Do you have a "Snail mail" address to which I could send them? (I'm not tech-savy enough to send them through "cyberspace") You can just e-mail me your address if you wish. I look forward to hearing from you.

L.A.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>I have seen a guitar player play with no fingers (used his feet).</SMALL>

That was the famous Hawaiian player,...Feet Rogers. Image

<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>man had a foot fetish</pre></font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by HowardR on 02 February 2005 at 09:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

Howard: the turth of this is .He had no arms, not a foot Fetish.I wrote that post to show that if you want something bad enough we can over come.I wise I could think of his name for you so you could see for yourself.Its calld (Disable) not (Fetish)
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I think it is a good way to start out for many. Having 10 strings alone is intimidating enough, especially if you do not play any other instrument. To retrain a guitar player to steel,10 strings and a bunch of knee levers may be ok. At least he/she has an understanding of chords and changes in general. I believe in a student having as much as he can handle,but that is different for everybody. For a young person I would rather have 8 strings ABC pedals and lower the Es. It's hard for a young beginner to sort it all out while he is trying to hold onto a bar thats huge to his hands. If you think that is too limiting,check out Jimmy Day "Steel and Strings" or any early Fender 1000 cuts like Mooney for example. I started out like many on this forum with 6 strings and a small bar at the age of 9. I personally love all the bells and whistles but I favor simplisity in the beginning. But I also realize that many are adults and everyone starts in a different place. I think it is a great idea. Even if you have more pulls than a Maveric, it all still applies.