Dicky Overby

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Been listening to Honky Tonk Memories this am, good 2nd coffe in themorning music.

Anybody have Dicky's copedednt for that PP?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 28 December 2004 at 11:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I have many steel players that I love, but when I want to hear country music played with heart and soul I turn to any record that includes Dicky Overby. Dicky has to be the most soulful steel player I have ever heard. I don't want to take anything away from my other heros but Dicky is the one guy that has stayed true to the music and has not wavered. When Dicky plays, he plays in Dicky Land where no other steel player dares to trod. When he comes to a gig he brings a guitar and an amp. His tone starts in his heart, goes through his mind and out his fingers. And no matter what guitar or amp he uses it is still Dicky through and through. Put Dicky and Bobby Flores together on a band stand and you have the very best that this world has to offer for a country lead section. A guitar player would only be in the way.
Dicky has inspired me to play with passion again and has helped me to find the zeal for music I had many years ago. If you listen to him very much you will do the same.

Johnny Cox<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 29 December 2004 at 11:04 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 29 December 2004 at 11:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Many of you may or maynot know, but Dickey can WRITE a heck of a country song, too. I know one of my favorites is on Jake Hooker's "Set One" album:"Sally Bryson/Hurry up". I love the changes in this song!
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Dicky Overby and Bobby Flores are playing the real thing--real country music. These two guys should be on every radio station every day. In my opinion they should be the half time act on the Super Bowl, instead of some of the terrible musical acts that have been the half time show. Over the years I have had favorite pickers and recordings. Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, Ralph Mooney, Tommy Jackson. Right now my favorite CD's have Dicky Overby on steel, and Bobby Flores on fiddle. If you are burned out on the country music you hear on the radio, do yourself a favor and order all of Dicky and Bobby's CD's. They have internet web sites to order from. It will be like a breath of fresh air. I have almost worn out my CD with Bobby Flores singing the 24th hour. It is simply the way country music is supposed to sound. Can you tell I like the music Bobby and Dicky make----- a lot?
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I received this neat close-up pix from my friend Mike Johnstone out on the West Coast. It's a shot of Dicky Overby playing his 66 Emmons at the convention in St. Louis. Great pix Michael!
Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 29 December 2004 at 10:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
clive swindell

Post by clive swindell »

The January edition of 'Country Music People' magazine contains a 5 star (top)review of the new Darrell McCall CD 'Old Memories & Wine'.

The reviewer (Craig Baguley) says of the track 'The Deepening Snow' - 'what turns this track from the merely superb to the magical is the mid song break from Dickie Overby. I used to think that John Hughey was the king of the swooning steel guitar, but this is the best I've ever heard'
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

Get yourself a copy of the Ronnie Milsap Live. That is the first time I heard Dicky and this is one of my favorite Albums of all-time.
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

Great work on hank Jr and friends album too!
MSA Legend XL, Quilter Amps, Peterson Tuners.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Yesterday it just so happens that i was invited to Dickey's house for a visit. My friend JR and I arrived around 10am and sat down for an hour to visit with him and his wife DG...They went on and on about Amber Digby (DG's daughter), and how well she is doing in her quest to keep REAL Country music alive..I could have sat there for hours, but, my manners kicked in...!..I did however make a plan to come back and sit with Dickey and get an up close and personal insight into his playing, and the man himself. Also, as an added bonus, I will be doing an interview with him for the web..Yay me!...LOL. :D :D :D :D :D :D
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Don't forget that it's Dickie on "I'll Be There" by Johnny Bush, one of the all time great steel rides from the early '70s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24kIpmnkY0

Joe