Dicky Overby

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Malcolm McMaster

Dicky Overby

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Just listened to a cd with a steel player called Dicky Overby, he did some great stuff up in"Hughey Land".I had not heard of him before and wondered if anyone on the forum could give any info on him.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Dickie is one of the great "unknown" players who has been around for ages. You can hear him play on several 1960's recordings with Darrell McCall, he also recorded with artists like Connie Smith and Ronnie Milsap.

In recent years he has delievered some fabolous recordings, playing with those great traditional Texas artists like Justin Trevino, Jake Hooker, Bobby Flores and Amber Digby. His appearance with Jake Hooker & The Outsiders in St. Louis this year was unbelievable!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Dicky has become a favorite of mine. His playing on his 66 Emmons can't be beat. He is working with a guy by the name of Jake Hooker and they play real country. He once owned the famous"Touch My Heart" Emmons. He sold it to a guy who turned it into a coaster wagon. I believe you can get his records from Southland Records or may Ernest Tubb's record shop. He also worked with Faron Young, Hank Jr, and Connie Smith.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Walter you beat me to it.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull,Evans SE200,Hilton pedal

Walter Stettner

Craig,

Sorry, looks I won the "virtual race"! Image

Merry Christmas, Walter

------------------
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

<SMALL>His appearance with Jake Hooker & The Outsiders in St. Louis this year was unbelievable!</SMALL>
I had been up for 24+ hours, totally jet lagged and asleep at the switch by the time Jake, Dicky, and Bobby played.
I could barely keep my eyes open,
but my EARS were at full attention.

The band drums, acoustic bass, fiddle and steel.

So you have a HUGE space for the steeler....
And Dicky filled it with great taste and an amazing other-worldly presence.

Plus Justin Trevino sat in on vocals for several songs,
and the PA system could NOT keep up.

I have heard great reports on Dickey's new Xmas album with Bobby FLores, also with Jake on bass.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 24 December 2004 at 06:40 AM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Hi Malcolm,
I also had never heard of Dicky Overby until I read on the Forum that he really did it in St Louis earlier this year,You can probably get it by using the search function.
He has a great CD called Honky tonk memories.com..Our mutual friend Billy McKillop gave me a copy.
Hope you have plenty work.
Best wishes.
Billy
Malcolm McMaster

Thanks for the info guys.The cd I have is with Amber Digby,(Billy ,got it from Willie Gamble who may have got it from Biily McKillop).I will try and get others, the guy is superb.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Dicky is a guy who still plays REAL COUNTRY MUSIC! Great picker, I got to meet him in St. Louis, and WOW he plays a '66 Emmons. . . .my all time favarite guitar.
Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 25 December 2004 at 06:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I have 4 with Dickey
Jake Hooker live, Amber Digby, who is Dicky's step daughter, and Honky tonk memories.com.
Plus Dick is on a few cuts of Bobby Flores CD.

Edit
OOPS, that's 5 with Dickey, I forgot about Red's fine cd.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 25 December 2004 at 05:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

old memories and wine Darell McCall and while your listening check out Rick Price on the same CD. Rick is one of the finest players but yet so under rated.
robert hays

Post by robert hays »

There is a C.D produced by Justin Trevino and featuring Dickey Overbey on steel by a young lady named Susan Anderson Bell, that has Dickey Overbey at his best, the C.d. can be heard frequently on the internet at WWW.KWKZ.COM It is also available at the Ernest Tubb record shop or at the radio station KWKZ FM
753 Enterprise
Cape Girardeau, MO
Check it out
Stan Steinberg

Post by Stan Steinberg »

Dickie is also on the new Red Kilby album titled "Keepin' It Real"...super picker and a superb album...a winner all around.
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Dicky Overby is one of the greatest steel players when it comes to playing on a bandstage! That old Emmons is just a singing! When Johnny Cox (one of my other all-time steel favorites) says that Dicky Overby is the best E9th player that is a great compliment.

Dicky with Jake Hooker and Bobby Flores is an unreal event...unbelievable talent. By the way, there is "Hughey Land" and then there is "Overby Land"...I've seen Dickey play so high up the neck where he kept going up and up on a great lick until he was literally off the end of the fretboard!! The crowd goes crazy when he plays in "Overby Land". Don't miss hearing him at the Texas Steel Guitar Convention this March in Dallas/Ft. Worth!!!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 24 December 2004 at 10:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Johnny Jones

Post by Johnny Jones »

The radio station in Cape Girardeau KWKZ plays a lot of Dickey Overby. The CD by Susan Anderson Bell has some great Dickey Overby on it. Susan's singing is also great. The station plays classic country music and they know a lot about steel guitar and the players. Their website is www.kwkz.com.
Bobby Flores

Post by Bobby Flores »

Hey Malcolm,

Dicky is an absolute treasure and has inspired me for the last 30 years, ever since the first time I heard him play. Back then it was a blue-green Blanton through a screaming-hot Fender Twin. Now he's wailing on "Rosie", a beautiful '66 bolt-down that was once mine, now where it belongs.

We are very honored to have him on several of the albums we have available on our label, including my own CD's, Amber's and the Christmas one he and I just released!

Feel free to go to: www.yellowroserecords.com for more info.

As mentioned above, he is on many recordings and I sincerely recommend them all! Thanks guys for the very kind mentions and for your support.

Bobby

Walter Stettner

Don't forget Justin Trevino's album "The Scene Of The Crying" - what a great CD - mine is already worn out! Image

Kind Regards, Walter

------------------
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

'Course, 'Ol Dicky knows how all of us up this way feel about his pickin'......however, I would remind everyone that some of his finest work was done on the Floyd Tillman C D ....this is a 'must have' if you're truly a Dicky fan.
robert hays

Post by robert hays »

Larry I agree 100% on the Floyd Tillman C.D "The Influence" Dickey shines, some great C-6 for sure
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

I have several of Bobby Flores' CD's with Dicky's great playing on all of them. They are all tremendous. I was also lucky enough to catch these boys playing LIVE in Fort Worth a few weeks ago. Man, Dicky was just tearing it up! What a tone he was getting with just an old Emmons P/P, an old LTD 400 and an RV-3 delay pedal. Another cool thing about the Jake Hooker band....they all are steel players! What a great band.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup
G&L guitars
Peavey Nashville 112

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

Malcolm McMaster

Thanks again guys for all the info.will try and pick up all the cds.Ufortunately unable to get over for the Texas show, saving up hard ,maybe next year.Walter thanks for the mp3 file.All you guys have a great Christmas and a happy new year, from my self and all my steel playing friends in Scotland
basilh

Post by basilh »

And to you my friend..
Basil Henriques

------------------
<SMALL>Steel players do it without fretting</SMALL>
Image Image

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

Malcolm McMaster

Thanks Baz,and to you and Pat.Just had an email from the man himself Dicky, what a charming guy he is.
Richard E. Lee

Post by Richard E. Lee »

I too...am fast becoming a Dickey fan. Many of you have mentioned the CD's he is featured on..However, I don't know where to go to find these...except ET Record shop.and they don't list these artist. I hope to catchup with him in Dallas..I hope he has a booth full..of CDs. Does anybody have a good place in mind where I could find these CD's?. Does he have a CD of his own..or does he play behind these singers you have mentioned? Floyd Tillman..and Amber Digby..anybody else? and who carries these CD's?
robert hays

Post by robert hays »

Richard I just recieved a Christmas C.D by Bobby Flores & Dickey Overbey and the e-mail address for dickey is oldicky@indian-creek.net If you e-mailed him I bet he could get you all his recordings, also the Amber Digby C.D. she is his stepdaughter. The Floyd Tillman C.D is available from Heart of Texas records,1701 s.bridge st. Brady Texas 76825 or e-mail tracy@hillbillyhits.com, Susan Anderson Bell is available from kwkz 106.1, tollfree Phone # 1 800 303 1061 also you can hear a lot of Dickey by tuning in on the enternet at WWW.KWKZ.COM
Hope this helps