1. ON THE PLAYERS
2. THE HAPPENINGS -
3. OTHER NEWSWORTHY EVENTS

THANK YOU MUCH.

ALOHA,
DON
Andy Barlo

Post by Andy Barlo »

I didn't attend the convention but I understand that LT Zinn has been inducted into the Scotty's Music Hall of Fame. I would like to extend my congratulations to him on this achievement. Way-to-go LT.
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

L T Zinn was indeed inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame and I had the privilege of being part of that.
Bob Mackiel and I were able to present a small part of the history of L Ts life right before he was presented with the plaque.
Red Rhodes was the other inductee this year.
Don, the hawaiian show went really well.
I'll let some others tell you about that and if they don't, I'll be back and fill you in.
Andy, thank you for you kind thoughts.
Evelyn<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Evelyn Whitney on 06 September 2005 at 04:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

The Hawaiian Room was a big success this year.

Performers included Sharon Denney, Margie Mayes, Doug Smith, Gerald Ross, Howard Kalish, Bill Stafford, Billy Robinson, L.T. Zinn, Bobby Black, Reece Anderson, Jon Rauhouse, Chuck Lettes and Kayton Roberts. Linda Evans and her Hula troupe provided rhythmic, kinetic entertainment.

The backup band, sound crew, stage crew, and master of ceremonies for the eight hour show (more coffee please) consisted of Doug Smith, Floyd Alexander, Gerald Ross and L.T. Zinn.

Special thanks to the Peavey company for providing the sound system, microphones and on stage amplifiers.

Highlights:

* Sharon Denney's relaxed approach to everything she plays. Sharon smiles when she plays (a lesson we can all learn).

* Margie Mayes beautiful Hawaiian touch on every tune.

* Doug Smith boldy playing an acoustic instrument at Scotty's!

* Gerald Ross & Howard Kalish playing on stage together for the first time in 35 years.

* Bill Stafford's effortless smooth tone and touch.

* Billy Robinson's behind the bar string pulling.

* L.T. Zinn's last performance as a mere mortal before attaining steel guitar royalty (now we will have to pay him twice what he made in the Hawaiian Room Image ).

* Bobby Black... what can I say, as always Bobby Black amazed everyone.

* Reece Anderson coaxing lush tones out of his SuperSlide.

* Jon Rouhouse coming over from the Fender room to play a few self-penned Dobro tunes.

* Chuck Lettes beautiful arrangements and skillful counterpoint melodies with guitarist Jim Stahlhut.

* Kayton Roberts... Mr. Showman! Never at a loss for words and jokes (he put Hank Snow where he is today!). Skillful adventurous playing on his Fender Deluxe double neck.

Moving the show from Saturday to Friday resulted in a much larger audience. Why the bigger crowd? There is nothing happening at the convention on Friday afternoon except the Joe Wright seminar ($60), the vendor booths and self-guided tours of the TUMS factory across the street. We were the only show in town.

Personally I attribute the larger crowd to the fact that everyone at the convention has finally come to their senses and realized that it takes more talent, innate musical ability and heart to play a non-pedal instrument Image

A good number of pedal steelers sold their instruments after the Hawaiian show (yeah right). Image

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 06 September 2005 at 07:43 AM.]</p></FONT>
Doug Smith

Post by Doug Smith »

There were actually two groups of hula dancers this year-Dori Neumeier brought her group, Hui Hula O Punahele-five dancers and three musicians. They are from the St. Louis area. They performed Naka Pueo, among others.
Kayton Roberts is remarkable. There's no telling what will happen when he sits down to play. He seems to break all the rules effortlessly.
I noticed more vendors offering new Hawaiian guitars this year than in other years at Scotty's. There was a nice D-8 National for sale, but my favorite was a Bigsby with three necks and two pedals. It was most interesting to look over its construction. Like an old house, it has had many modifications over the years. The Beard display was a highlight-the new biscuit bridge metal body guitars sound and look very good. I'm hoping someone will give me a Mike Auldridge model for my birthday(just dreaming!).
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 07 September 2005 at 04:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Glad to see that Jon Rauhouse is in the network, he is one of my favorites. Didn't know he was playing Dobro, though.

------------------
Georgeboards 8 string, National D8,Silvertone U-1 goldtop, Goodrich H10K VP, Line6 DL4 delay, Keeley Fuzzhead, EH Micro Synthesizer, Dunlop Lap Dawg bar

Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

Jon Rauhouse is one of my favorites as well... He just released a record of Hawaiian tunes. I just saw him performing with Neko Case a couple weeks ago and he sounded superb....
Howard Kalish

Post by Howard Kalish »

I enjoyed every note played in the Hawaiian. It was wonderful to hear such masterful players.

I sure had a terrific time sitting in with Gerald, Doug, Floyd and LT.

That LT, what a guy.

There's was plenty of variety and hula girls too. What's not to like.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Great coverage guys!! A lot of different newsy angles. That's nice.

Gerald, you should have been a news journalist or correspondent. Did you miss your calling? Image

If there is anymore out there, let's have it.

Aloha,
Don

Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Unfortunately I did not have a camera with me at Scotty's this year. Fortunately Kathy Kalish (Howard's wife) did. Here are a few of her shots:

(l-r) L.T.Zinn, Bill Stafford, Margie Mayes, Mitsuio Fuji

(l-r) Doug Smith, Floyd Alexander, Gerald Ross, L.T. Zinn, Howard Kalish

Doug Smith with 50 foot rope (what tuning is that Doug?)

Doug Smith changing strings.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 07 September 2005 at 06:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

...that guy with the rope __ is he an "Hawaiian cowboy"; or is that Will Rogers' great, great grandson?
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Gerald says,
<SMALL>Moving the show from Saturday to Friday resulted in a much larger audience. Why the bigger crowd? </SMALL>
The answer to the mystery is contained in Gerald's own post -it's Linda Evans and her Hula troupe providing rhythmic, kinetic entertainment. Image

Aloha,
Don