gospel players

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Rankin

Post by Tony Rankin »

Hey Logan,

If you are talking about Heirline, with Ernie Dawson, the group I play for did a concert with them and another group last spring in Kettering, Ohio. Heirline is a fantastic group and Ernie told me the steel is his favorite instrument.

Tony Rankin<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tony Rankin on 20 October 2004 at 04:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Hey Tony, I'll tell Rick,and Deb you said hello. We'll be out pickin',and grinin' this weekend. Image
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

I play in my church and in the group Prodigal
Son(prodigalsonmusic.com).We are a 5 piece
band that play all styles of gospel. We play
in other churches or wherever the Lord leads.
Dale
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

played,lots of yrs.at country Baptist churchs.many a blessing,i do love country music {older stuff}never big time,went with gospel groups to nursing homes,but the ones that really sends chills down my spine was the prisons!!!boys,when they slam those big iron gates behind you.WOW.after inside talking with inmates,one says oh i killed, ect.pray pray pray!!!! farris
Timmy Witt

Post by Timmy Witt »

I am a christian. All I have ever played is gospel music. Most of my time playing has been with the Hasty's, I did play for a little while with the new Hinsons, but finances wouldn't allow me to keep it up. The only steel I am getting to play is at church. I have been playing the dobro lately, even built me one, and my family group the Hasty's have been doing a few dates with an acoustic band. I have a project studio and have had the priviledge to play on some recordings. Nothing better than gospel music.
tim
JAMES BANKS

Post by JAMES BANKS »

I guess it is time for me to step up. I play steel and lead guitar at church when I am not running sound. I organized a band a few months ago to do a country and gospel show once per month. Last week, we decided as a band to make a change and do Country Gospel/Southern Gospel and leave off the country. My person favorites are the Goodmans, Hinsons, Cathedrals, Jeff and Sherry Easter and the old Jimmy Swaggart material. I worked as a Gospel DJ in the early 90's so I have lots of older material to build from. I played lead guitar and a very limited steel with 3 groups in the 80's.
We can hardly wait to get out program together. If anybody out there has any original material you would like to share, sent it to me. I absolutely LOVE gospel music.
James

Darrell Klein

Post by Darrell Klein »

I'm glad I'm a part of the family of
God. I play steel!!!!!!!!! Zum Dbl 10
8/6. Sho-Bud Pro 11 Dbl 10 8/4.
We overcome by the blood of the Lamb'
and the word of our testimony.
We play Gospel music. Pacific Northwest,also
Arizona Indian Reservations. God Bless
Darrell Klein
Carlos Polidura

Post by Carlos Polidura »

way to go darrel.
GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!

b0b

Post by b0b »

The DVD of the 2004 Gospel Steel Guitar Show is available from the Forum Catalog.
Jeff Hogsten

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

after 10 years on the road with the Perry Sisters I now only play at my church. The Perry Sister have now basially retired and our the singers in our praise band if anyone is in the Ashland Ky area our church is the Potters House of worship on route 60
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Jeff
Do you remember a keyboard player
named Tommy Pike? I played in a group
with him in the 80's. He left the group
to play for the Perrys. As I recall
Tommy was a great keyboard player.

------------------
Rick Johnson
Rabbit Easter

Post by Rabbit Easter »

Hey this is my first time here, I still play gospel music I'm a soloist I play all my instruments (STEEL GUITAR, Banjo, Dobro) I also travel some with my dads group The Easter Brothers (been singing for 53 years!!) I started out on the road in 1976 with The Lefevres then The Happy Goodman Family in 1977 I also worked 9 Years with My Brother & Sister-in-law Jeff & Sheri Easter I'm still doing studio work too. I enjoy this forum glad to be a part of it now. I think the steel guitar in the GREATEST thing this side of Heaven!!

Thanks,
Steve "Rabbit" Easter Image
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

<SMALL> I think the steel guitar in the GREATEST thing this side of Heaven!! </SMALL>
AMEN TO THAT RABBIT!!! Image

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Rabbit
Everyone in this gospel thread should
know you. You have a great reputation.
By the way, you wrote a song called
"Steel Heaven" Its one of my favorite
things to play right now.
Welcome aboard.

------------------
Rick Johnson
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Hi Rabbit, welcome to the Forum. I'm sure your input on any subject will highly appreciated.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I have played in church most of my life. I begin to play pedal steel in 1979 at the ripe old age of 19. I have stayed within the gospel music realm for 98% of the time. In 1991 I met and joined a Christian country band and began to travel. The group began to receive airplay on the radio and everything started taking off. All of the recordings were done with Nashville musicians which I surely understood. Those 2 years were some of the most enjoyable times I have ever experienced. I got to play and get paid and had my expenses paid as well. I was single with no debt and no problems. The group, The Manuel Family Band is no longer together although Mike Manuel is still singing with tracks. He was here a couple of weeks ago and it was nice to see him but it was just not the same as having a live band. The music was top notch and I miss the professionalism and the quality of musicians I was fortunate enough to play music with. I enjoyed the traveling and saw a lot of this great country that I would have never seen had it not been for Mike, Greg and Mark Manuel and their parents. I did meet my wife while I played for them so there was a lot of good that come from those days.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Gospel Music is where it's at for me ! I know lots of good steel players that are doing Gospel music for the Lord . Also other musicians too . You all have a personal invitation to play at my second annual Gospel Steel Guitar Jubilee here in Columbus , Ohio on January the 14-th and 15-th 2005 . I first heard Rabbit Easter play live at the Columbus Baptist Temple here in Columbus Ohio with the great Happy Goodman Family and the group was wonderful and Rabbit did a great job on Steel . God bless you all . Gary .
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Speaking of "Steel Heaven" John Hughey played that song at Ronnie's steel show the 16 of Oct. I think Rabbit and John played that song together. Beautiful instrumental!
Terry

------------------
Zum D10 / session 400
steelin for my Lord

KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Paul, Mike Manuel is a great artist. I have his CD's.The other group I used to play for played the same church he did one evening.
Gary Dillard

Post by Gary Dillard »

Good to see all you guys. Hey Frank...Rabbit, where ya been? Hey Reggie....
I miss playing at Church. Since moving back to NC I just do a few sessions, not playing at Church every week like I did in Bama. Played 18 years with the Kingsmen Quartet. Nothing like good ole Gospel Music...just SO disappointed it is not like it use to be, with bands, etc. Oh WELL!! At least I still have my LP's I can listen to!
Gary Moore

Post by Gary Moore »

ITS GOOD TO KNOW THERE IS STILL STEEL GUITAR PLAYERS WORKING FOR JESUS GOOD TO HERE FROM ALL THIS PICKERS NEVER THOUGHT THE TOPIC WHERE ARE ALL THE GOSPEL STEEL GUITAR PLAYERS AT AND WHERE DO YOU PLAY WHILE WHAT RESPONCE P. S. LOVE RABBITS PICKING.
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

Here's a sound clip of the Country-Gospel group I play with.... http://authenticrecording.com/uploads/hl%20long%20black%20w%20steel%20break.mp3

------------------
www.authenticrecording.com
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Good pickin Mark! that's my kind of Gospel music.
Terry

------------------
Zum D10 /8x5 / session 400
steelin for my Lord

Rabbit Easter

Post by Rabbit Easter »

Beaver I'm good still down here in GOD's Country Alabama call me sometime!

"Rabbit" Image
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Hey Gary' was good to talk to you yesterday. Man you opened up a good one here. Great reviews, I am happy to see we still have Steelers with a love for the Gospel. I Have truly enjoyed playing the Steel guitar. I was actually preaching a revival for a pastor that played steel when i got hooked. He played for Connie smith in his worldy days. That steel just kept going through my head, I finally decided that was my next calling. I bought a E9th GFI 3&5 at Music city instruments in magee Ms and went to work. i've been playing 6 years now and play almost every weekend with a Gospel
Group. It has been very exciting to me to play the Steel instrument for the Kingdom of God.

Brother R J Buras
Excel SD12 8x5
STEEL away and Play (oops I mean PRAY)