gospel players

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Moore

gospel players

Post by Gary Moore »

ANY ALL GOSPEL STEEL GUITAR PLAYERS LEFT AND WERE DO YOU PLAY.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Gary,
Please be advised that all I play is gospel music. I used to do all kinds but the good Lord has convinced me that He wants me to "give praises to Him on an instrument of 10 strings" (Psalm 33:2). Besides playing gospel music I tab out gospel music for other steelers to play. I have sent out free monthly tab now for 2 years to close to 400 different players all over the world. The Lord is good!!!
Erv
Stephen Winters

Post by Stephen Winters »

I still consider myself a novice, only been playing a couple of years. But I currently play my Sho-Bud Pro 1 in two gospel groups, mostly in the north and central Mississippi area.
Walter Hamlin

Post by Walter Hamlin »

Been playing since about 1978 and I think it is the best of the best music there is.
Can't play enough of it. Cut my teeth on the steel listening to the Hinsons, Goodmans, Dixie Echos, Kingsmen, and others that had full bands with STEELS in them.
Walter
Joey Gaskins

Post by Joey Gaskins »

I also am a Southern/Country Gospel player.
We have a Jamboree here in New Bern, NC that has a sing every other weekend. We are the house band as well as back up for any other guest singer that needs one. I also play at our church. One SD10 Derby for home and one SD10 Derby to leave at our church. Needless to say the one at church gets played alot less than the one at home. Strings last longer also.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

*<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 15 October 2004 at 05:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

I wonder how many heads this will turn:

I have enjoyed gospel music for years and though I am not interested in the club/bar scene anymore, I would enjoy this kind of gig.

However . . .

I am not demonstrative and vocal as gospel singers tend to be. I am a Christian and content with it but I have no need to 'spread the word" further than through the music itself.
Make no mistake: I take no offense at those who are demonstrative and vocal; my demonstration would be as a member of a music group, my vocailty in the guitar.

Does this work, or would I find myself at the mercy of proseletyzing by other members?

James
Sho-Bud LDG
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

I am a Christian steel player and will play where ever the Lord opens the doors.
John Buffington
Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

I PLAYED STEEL GUITAR AND LEAD GUITAR FOR
many years I play in a gospel group
I also do gospel and country sessions
I to play where the lord lesds me
I feel that you can be a witness where ever
you play I dont care for the bar work but
if and when i am there I know what is
right and wrong as the lord tells me
I dont fault others for where ever they
play its not for me to judge anyone
I have faith that the lord will provide
the places for me to play and he has
al by his will

mike archer

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Archer on 15 October 2004 at 01:53 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Archer on 15 October 2004 at 01:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I will chime in and say that I began playing steel in 1971 at the age of 11. My dad is a gospel steel player and I am celebrating 33 years of it!
I have been the staff steel guitarist at a Christian Supper Club in Louisiana for 12 years. We were performing 98 night per year there, but recently cut back to 49, one night per week.
I have an open door to sit in with several gospel groups in the south Mississippi area, when I want to. The Gospel Opry has opened in my hometown of McComb, MS and I have an open door to play there when time permits!
To say the least, I am richly blessed!
I also have a small project recording studio at my home. I have been priviledged to play on several hundred recordings through the years.
I love gospel music!!! If you want to hear more traditional country music, listen to gospel!!!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Sonny,
Bless you, brother!
Erv
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Image I play at church,and a group, "The Murphy's".
barry wheeler

Post by barry wheeler »

I started playing lead guitar in 1974 when I was 15 years old for a Gospel group. In 1980 switched to steel and dropped the lead guitar. Like others, influenced by groups like the Hinsons, Goodmans, etc. I think it's a shame what's happened in the last few years with nearly all the national groups using recorded music(sound tracks), I realize it's a money issue. I don't attend their concerts hardly at all anymore.
Tony Rankin

Post by Tony Rankin »

I play for a Southern Gospel Quartet, mostly in SW Ohio, but sometimes in Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee. In addition to me, we have a rhythm guitar, piano, and bass guitar.
www.daytonambassadorsquartet.com
Carlos Polidura

Post by Carlos Polidura »

garry,
i'm a born again christian and i only play gospel music in church and other christian events that the lord allows me. because i'm of hispanic nationality most of my music is of the bolero and latin styles. (ballads)
but i feel good that i'm able to incorporate the pedal steel guitar in such a different type of music.
however, i also play that wonderful contry gospel that is so loved by many.
i had the privilege to record a "cd" in spanish and just in case you wish to hear it...... you can e-mail me.
god bless all of you.
carlos
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I play in the Christian Life Church praise band, in Austin Texas. We have some great musicians, a couple of piano players, one who swithes off the acoustic guitar, bass, drums, lead guitar, organ, and me on steel, (or guitar sometimes if the guitar player is gone). We play all styles of Gospel music, contemporary, southern, rock & roll style, you name it, we play it.

I have a couple of CD's of praise and special music that were recorded directly off the main board with no enhancement or overdubs, (mistakes and all) that I would send anyone that would like to hear how we sound. Here's a picture of part of the group.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Gary, I play a lot of Gospel music, but it is in the 'secular' arena (clubs and concerts versus churches). Here's an example:

Revelation

------------------
www.tyack.com
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I play with my family group and a few sessions. Hey Kenny, is that Rick Murphy and his family?

Tony
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

Here's a pic of my group:

------------------
www.authenticrecording.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by b0b on 27 October 2004 at 02:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Only Gospel for me, except maybe a country tune or two around the deer camp.
I play at my church, and I'm currently lookin for a Country Gospel/southern Gospel group to play with.
Terry

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Hey Tony, yes, I play for Rick Murphy's group. I enjoyed your pickin' on the session down at Lyon's studio. Image
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Hey Kenny, thanks, I always enjoyed playing on their sessions. Tell them hello for me and I'm sure it's a blast playing for them.
Keep in touch.

Tony
Logan Wilkerson

Post by Logan Wilkerson »

being only 16 i love southern gospel music. ive grown up listening to the hinsons,goodmans and one of my favs are the cathedrals!! wish they were still around.ive allways loved listning to this music and allways will. my dad currently plays piano for a s/g group called HEIRLINE and southern gospel is just great all around. this is a great post !!!!!

------------------
sho-bud proII custom
session 400 b/w series
american deluxe tele

Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

<SMALL>being only 16 i love southern gospel music. ive grown up listening to the hinsons,goodmans and one of my favs are the cathedrals!! </SMALL>
Logan, hang in there buddy. it's great to hear there's still young folk that like Southern Gospel music. and you have great taste, the Hinsons and Goodman's have always been my two favorite groups. Image
Terry

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Play steel and lead every Sunday at our Assembly of God church. Usually just play lead on Wednesday nights.