What Military Unit were you In??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

U.S. Army 37th Signal Battalion Freedom Hill & DaNang Viet-Nam 1971-1972.
This is where I started liking to hear Buck owens and the Hag.The Sargents would play country on their reel to reel tape players, in our little enlisted mans club.

------------------
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
John Gretzinger

Post by John Gretzinger »

61st AHC (Assault Helicopter Company), sunny South East Asia - back to back tours 1970 through the end of 1971. Second Place - S.E. Asian War Games

1st CAV Division - Ft. Hood, Tx - 72-73
90th ARCOM (Reserves) San Antonio, TX to 1983
FORSCOM HQ (Atlanta, GA) (AGR) 83 to 85
63rd ARCOM (Reserves) Los Alamitos, CA 85 - 93 or so. Now retired from the Army Reserves

------------------
MSA D-10 w/Nashville 400
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

US Army, drafted on 7/31/66
Basic training: Fort Knox KY, 7/66 through 9/66
Fort Jackson SC, 9/66 through 6/67
44 Signal Battalion, Long Binh, RVN, 6/67 through 6/68

Got out on 6/15/'68,
one year, 10 months and 19 days, it seemed a lot longer at the time, Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Moore on 23 August 2004 at 04:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jackie Anderson

Post by Jackie Anderson »

US Army active duty 1966-68
basic: Ft. McLellan, AL
then: Ft. Bragg, XVIII Corps - radio op
grand finale: Vietnam July 1967 - July 1968 - 1st Inf. Div LRRP - radio op + 11bravo
final grade: E5
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

Joined the Navy right out of high school in Aug 1949- just in time to be in that Korean escapade from start to finish and also stayed in long enough to observe first hand the Viet Nam experience-also from start to finish. During the Korean war, my ship, the USS John W Thomason, DD 760 went into the yards there at Mare Island. I did not have my steel guitar-double 8 Epiphone- with me. Went on liberty in San Francisco one night and lucked up on a bar with a great western swing band. Met the steel player and it was the great Vance Terry. This was on a Sat. night. I stayed till closing time to meet Vance. One great person here let me tell you. He had never met me before, we talked steel guitars and he asked me if I wanted to take his Wright Custom to my ship over the weekend and have something to play on. I was shocked at this but he insisted. I had a time carrying that monster steel with those heel and toe pedals down the ship ladders to my compartment-but I was one happy sailor and never left the ship for five days. Vance came to the ship the following Friday and took me to the club where I was in hog heaven the rest of the weekend. Vance is certainely missed in my household.
Thanks to our men and women in the service of our country in these hard times today. And thanks to all the veterans. God bless you all/ go vote soon.
Bill Stafford
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Enlisted in US Navy '72-'76
Fleet Weather Central, Pearl Harbor, HI

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.book-em-danno.com

Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

We are having our annual festiville here in Bentonville next week,I just finished working out a deal with the local WFW to put up a display of WW11 vets names that at one time was on the Court House lawn. Years ago they were taken down and many were lost or destroyed. Several sections survived and some of these will be displayed this year.WE need to support our Vets more than ever. Ed
Sandy Martin

Post by Sandy Martin »

US Navy...1973-1977 Wahiawa, Hawaii as a Communications Tech (O)...had a fabulous time there (I was one of the first women to have this gig with the Navy)...2000 marines and a few Radiomen...what a time!! :-)
Paid for my college education, and I made some really cool friends.
George Plemons

Post by George Plemons »

Served in Viet Nam 1969-70 25th inf div
Hanau Germany 71-72
They want to stop this crap in The Middle East? Recall us. We will kick their .. back to the last century
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Jerry Overstreet. We may have overlapped. I left Lackland AFB in March 66. I put in for Chanute AFB but got Kelly AFB across the street from Lackland instead. C- 124 engine mechanic.
Whip Lashaway

Post by Whip Lashaway »

Enlisted in USAF Jun 74
After basic went to Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Ms for a year long tech school.
55th AMS SAC HQ, Offutt 75-76
32 TFS Camp New Ampsterdam, Netherlands 76-78
401 TFW Taura Hon AFB, Madrid, Spain 78-79
Tech School at Lowry AFB, Denver, Colo 80
2015th Comm SQ Randolph AFB, San Antonio, Tx 80-84
Indiana Air National Guard 122nd TFW Ft Wayne, Ind 89-02
Retired Dec 02 with 24 years total military service.
My wife of 28 years (as of 13 Aug 04) stayed right beside me through the whole thing. Lots of TDY's and PCS's and I couldn't have done it without her. She is also the reason I'm a steel player. She actually bought the first one I ever had. She found it in the paper for $85.00 back in 1983. She's been allowing me to buy em ever since.

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string
78' Emmons D10 P/P

Wayne Smith

Post by Wayne Smith »

USAF from 1952 to 1956. Basic Training in Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX. Was stationed in France for 3 years and returned to Davis-Monthon Air Force Base, Tucson, Arizona for final 6 months. Staff Sergeant
Wally Maples

Post by Wally Maples »

Does anyone remember a recording artist by name of Curtis Gordon, maybe Mobile area? I did basic tng with him at Ft Jackson in summer of 1955, saw him once after that at old Disc Jockey Convention in Nash then lost track. Would like to know what happened to him. thanks
Barney Y. Miller

Post by Barney Y. Miller »

I knew Curtis Gordan in Mobile, Al. when he operated the "Radio Ranch". Some of the steel players were Tony Lane, Lloyd Green and myself among others. The last time I talked with Curtis was at the Mobile Show 2 years ago. He sang a couple of songs and received a standing ovation. (Which was a common occurance with Curtis Gordan.) He was a very fine person and and will be missed by us all.
Stephen Simms

Post by Stephen Simms »

1RAR,
5RR,
Greys'Scouts
Inkomo and TTL Rhodesia 1968-1979

Olli Rahkonen

Post by Olli Rahkonen »

I joined the Finnish Defence Forces in the summer 2002 and spent there 9 months. It was a FDF's music department. Check out some photos that are from gigs and spare time mostly! http://batman.jypoly.fi/~a3101/pvvmsk18/kuvat/Jalbum/index.html

Olli
Bryan Adams

Post by Bryan Adams »

USAF...1961--1965
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Navy-59 to 63...Radarman on the Ranger CVA-61
and the Pollux AKS-4.
Prior to the service I listened to the blues
on KDIA in the SF bay area.
In Japan about all that was being played in the bars was country music...learned to love that old stuff.
Glad to have served.

I pray that our country will have the resolve to bring freedom to the middle east, in spite of the problems in making that happen. The ONLY way that we're gonna be free from terrorism in the entire world is to bring the folks in the middle east into this century and have them taste the freedoms that we all take for granted.
The entire world needs to get proactive about defeating this buncha loonies.

May our service folks be protected is my prayer...They need all of our prayers.
Chuckie Acevedo

Post by Chuckie Acevedo »

Enlisted RA 56,Ft Ord Ca basic,Ft Devens Mass,shipped out of Wash to Japan then to Korea 1956, 330th ComRecon,277th Asa some of the best(and coldest) times of my life

------------------
Chuckieboy
Sho-Bud Prolll,ZBD10,ZB custom
Fenders Deluxe6,CD8 C3,D10

George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

USMC 1966 - 1968

MCRD-San Diego, ITR-Camp Pendleton, 9th Marine Amphibious Brigade-West Pacific (Okinawa), 2nd Marine Division-Camp Lejeune

------------------
Sho-Bud: Professional & Fingertip

George Brown

Post by George Brown »

U.S. Army 1954--1956
1st Armored Division, Most of my time spent at Ft. Hood Texas, and Ft. Polk La., and a few TDY assignments.
Wouldn't take anything for the experience.

George
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Ah Yes Roger...the old "shaky". I trained on 52's at Chanute for jets over 2. At Travis, I did basically ramp agent duty with civilian aircraft carrying troops to the pacific and to the jungle. Pan Am, Brannif, et al. Seemed like pretty good duty til my brother passed through on my shift on his way to Nam. The seriousness of the situation really hit home when that happened. He was of the lucky ones that came back OK though. I suffer from CRS, so the flight # @ Lackland eludes me at the moment, but the Instructors name was Ledgerwood. Lots of airmen through basic at that time as the training was abbreviated to 28 days or so due to the war.

Ed Meadway

Post by Ed Meadway »

USN 1959-1963.....Portsmouth Reserve Fleet, USS Beale, USS Mattiponi
Boogie Sherrard

Post by Boogie Sherrard »

1953-1955 .. U.S. Army - Combat Engineers. I went to Ft. Belvoir, Va. for basic & advanced training. Then I was re-assigned to
to the 407th Engineer Batallion - a part of the 338th combat Engineers Group; at Fort Campbell, Ky. ... Just by happenstance, the Korean War "cooled-down" and I was not called upon for overseas duty. I met Ray Etherton (a Warrant Officer) who was forming a little country band. We gained "Class A" Special Duty status & played for the troops. I was playing lead guitar, in those days & thoroughly enjoyed the job. "Boogie"
Leon Eneboe

Post by Leon Eneboe »

U.S. Navy, April 57 to April 6l. USS Boxer CVS21 and Patrol Squadron 28. Came out a YN2
Leon Eneboe, Williams S12, ShoBud LDG, Peavey ll2 (2), NV400 and NVl000, plus a lot of misc. junk.