Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Jones

Post by Gary Jones »

3/5 Cav, Fort Lewis, Wa
Tank Turret Mechanic/Small arms Repairman
1972-1976
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

49th Armored Division. Basic at Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri, Ft.Knox Kentucky for Armored training, regular duty as tank driver at Ft.Polk Lousiana and summer camps at Ft.Hood Texas where we could cook steaks by laying them on the tank in the heat of the day.
Joseph V. Sapp

Post by Joseph V. Sapp »

US Navy 1965-1986
USS Mazama (AE-9) USS Pennsacola (LSD-38)
US Navy Sub School Groton Conn.
USS Seahorse (SSN-669) Last tour, Instructor Duty Dam Neck Va.
Suez Safari-order of the Ditch-Shellback, both above and below the equator-Blue Nose and Salute every single vet former and present. God Bless:

Joe
Chick Donner

Post by Chick Donner »

US Army Security Agency 1963-1967 - Basic at Dix, then Monmouth, then Japan (Tokyo), then on to Yoing Dong Po and Pyong Taek Korea, where I kept offices while working in and out of RVN, Thailand, Taiwan and the Phillipines. Sent stateside for 93 days in 65 and back to the Pacific, with office at Honolulu, but most of the time in RVN, Thailand and Korea.
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Fort Jackson 1951 31st Division Band. Also trained at Tank Hill.
Long Horn man. in Texas, then on to Camp Atterbury in Ind. Spent 6 urs playing Trombone, last 6 months playing bass.

ernie
Perry Hansen

Post by Perry Hansen »

Gere. What Company were you in in San Diego. I was in 738 at NTC. in 1952.
Wally Maples

Post by Wally Maples »

1955-1957 Ft Jackson SC, Ft. Campbell Ky, Ft. Benning (Sand Hill/Main Post)GA. 3rd Infantry Div, Combat Aviation Co. TRansferred back to TN National Guard discharged as staff sgt. 1959
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

US Army ordinance. 1964-1966. Spent most of my time on an Air Force SAC base. Played 5 nites a week. The band was a mix of Groundhogs and Wingnuts. Fun times.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

US Army Active Duty from 1986 to present

*US Army Element School of Music (Honor Grad)
Army/USMC/USN all go to same service school
*US Army Band 1987-1999 (Guitar/Pedal Steel/Vocals)
*2d Infantry Division Band, Korea
*US Army Recruiting Command
*US Army National Guard Bureau

Currently an Sergeant First Class (E7) soon to be promoted to Master Sergeant (E8)

About two more years till retirement ..then I can play more ...maybe on the road again? Just turned 36yo....good to be close to retirement so young :-)
------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8p & 9k w/ BL-705s; Webb 6-14E Amplfier

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 22 August 2004 at 07:03 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 22 August 2004 at 07:06 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 22 August 2004 at 07:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

Perry, best I can remember I was in Company 0897. Camp Elliott. Arrived there about 22 November 1952. Finished early March, came home for 30 days then on to Corps School for the nex 5 months. It would be interesting to swap some boot camp stories. Drop me an email.
Gere
Ron Elliott

Post by Ron Elliott »

Hey guys,..first of all, God Bless all of our Vets and all the active military men and women in our armed forces today! We love, honor, and respect your service. I went in as a youngster, thinking I'd be too young to send overseas,WRONG! I took basic at Ft. Jackson, SC. You all know that's where they process after basic for Korea. I was sent to FECOM (Far Eastern Command) straight into G-2 Classified Operations,..When out of there, I was sent to Ft. Knox.KY, for armor training, and to Camp Irwin,CA. then to Germany for nearly 3 years. THEN, as a civilian, went to DOMREP(Santo Domingo) during the Revolution.The only thing I had at my disposal was a Fender 1000! No fun again. I love vets and active military. They and God are our strength. Bless You All !<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Elliott on 22 August 2004 at 02:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Joined USAF in 1966. Basic at Lackland,Tx, 2 weeks at Amarillo, AFB TX. Training at Shepard AFB TX. Judy and I were married at the Witchita Falls courthouse. I really wanted out of Texas by now ,but was stationed at Kelly AFB, San Antonio,Texas until I got out in Dec. 69. I liked it alot after I got in a band with my trusty Fender 1000 playing 5-6 nights a week all over Texas and working on airplane engines in the daytime.
After discharge, we moved back to Ohio but, soon missed the Texas dancehalls and great flying weather. Moved back to San Antonio permanently in 79.
Barney Y. Miller

Post by Barney Y. Miller »

I'd like to ask everone to pray for the leaders of our country, our couragous heoric fighting men and women in our armed services, especially in harms way. Pray also that we can be united in America to continue our support for them.
I served in the 7th Infantry in Korea 1951-1952. I trained at Fort Chaffee, Ark. 1950 in Combat Bat. Command 5th armed Div. While there I met a good fiddle player named Otis Ray Jones. If anyone knows his whereabouts would love to hear from you. He worked in the Dallas area 1953 etc.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I consider it an honor, a privilege and a duty to have served in the armed forces and would not normally bore anyone else with the details but, since you asked.............
USAF Lackland AFB Mar.'66
Chanute AFB
Travis AFB 604 OMS. Fall '66. This experience may be where my first real interest in Steel Guitar was piqued. I shared a dorm room with a crazy Samurai Hawaiian named Kailiuli or something like that, who used to attack me and the other roomie with grease pencils at any hour of the day or nite and called us Hoalaes.[sp]. For the life of me, I cannot remember the other kid's name as we roomed together for just a short while. He was a California native and we used to listen to KFRC when we had time off. I thought this kid was nuts when he told me his greatest love in music was the Steel Guitar. He was such a rabid enthusiast, I figured there must be something really special about it. Several years later, I discovered that he was right. If you are the guy I refer to, I'd like to contact you and thank you for planting the seed. I had basic with a guy from Alabama in Mar. of '66. He was a tall kid with red hair and the name Jimmy Campbell sounds really familiar. But I wasn't at Lackland 'til Mar of '66. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 22 August 2004 at 10:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
James Stewart Jr

Post by James Stewart Jr »

US Air Force Oct 1971 until Oct 1975

Started Basic Training at Lackland AFB in Texas then went to Denver,Colorado for technical training on the F-111D Fighter Jet Weapons System.
I volunteered for overseas duty and low and behold I was sent to Royal Air Force base Upper Heyford in Bicester,England where I spent 2 years.
For the remainer of my duty I was sent to Cannon Air Force Base in Clovis,New Mexico
where I was Honorably Discharged.
** My years in the service was the most educational and fulfilling experience I have ever had. I am a very firm believer that EVERY young man should have some form of military service.

------------------
1975 Sho~Bud Pro III Custom (8-7)
1981 Peavey Session 500

autry andress

Post by autry andress »

64-65 Army 82nd Airborne (6 months) in Domican Republic) 1 year 1st Air Cav Viet-Nam.(65-66) & Proud to be an American.
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

US Navy 1962-66 USS Annapolis USS Hoist USS Aldeberen USS Chuckawan Training Sqd 30 Corpus Christi Tex Was glad an proud to have done it. Jerry
thurlon hopper

Post by thurlon hopper »

USAF '63-'67 Basic at Lackland, 26 mos Homestead AFB, Fla., 18 mos Kadena AfB
Okinawa. Proud to have served and have
a lot of good memories. Spent 10 years
on Okinawa as a civilian, moved back to
USA 1977. Always loved the sound of a psg
YJH
Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

USAF from July 1950 til retirement Nov 1973. Aircraft mechanic.
Three tours in Vietnam , Stationed almost everywhere. 23 years is a lot of time.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

In U S Navy (as a surgeon) for 10 years (1948-58), Naval Hospitals in Boston & Norfolk, and a year as surgeon for the Mediterranean Fleet on board the heavy cruiser USS Salem.
The Navy lent me to the Marines for the Korean war. I made the Inchon landing, was surrounded by the Chinese at the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea, walked out with the rest of the troops.
Leonard G. Robertson

Post by Leonard G. Robertson »

I retired from Navy as Aviation Senior Cheif jet engine mechanic with 24 yrs pay. Actually I was in 21 yrs. and 10 mo. stationed on both coasts about equally.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Somehow got posted twice!!
In U S Navy (as a surgeon) for 10 years (1948-58).....<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Stewart on 23 August 2004 at 07:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Miller

Post by Jon Miller »

U.S. Air Force - 1978 thru 82. Lackland AFB Basic, Lackland-Law Enforcement Acadamy and combat training school. Edwards AFB, Ca 79-81
Osan AB, S. Korea 1982.

Cuban Refugee Relocation, Eglin AFB, Fl 4 months
Air Launched Cruise Missle Project-Edwards.
Arctic Survival School, Alaska.
M-60 Machine Gun School, Nellis, Nevada.
Air Security for Space Shuttle Columbia maiden voyage STS-1.

------------------
Wayne Douglas

Post by Wayne Douglas »

USAF-"63"-"67".After Basic at Lackland and
Tech.school at Amrillo. I was stationed at Moody AFB,Valdosta,Ga.then on to Yokota AFB,Japan.TDY's in Thailand,Korea,Nam. Best years of my life.36TFS,80TFS

------------------
Martin Weenick

Post by Martin Weenick »

U.S.M.C. in 1958,spent 18 monthes in Okinawa, Then LeJuene. Scout/Sniper for 3rd. Mar.Div. in Vietnam in 66'-67'. Twice wounded in Nam, medically retired in 67'. Do it all again if I had to. Martin.

------------------

Martin W. Sho-Bud, Super- Pro.