A J's New Album

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

By the way you guys are really blowing this out of the water. I don't like a jam and you act like I just killed someone. I am one of the biggest steel guitar fans around, and I also feel I play pretty good. Not as good as Mr. Franklin, Mr White, or Mr Emmons, but I don't do too bad. So what's the beef? I have read other album reviews on here and no one gets hurt. That's all I did. No gun no loaded picks no exploding bar. If I insulted anything it was the producer, or the production. It wasn't Paul, Brent, or any of the other musicians on the album. Read back folks, did I say neither Paul nor Brent knew how to play? I really meant to give up but when some other player posts and says my comments are rediculous, not clever, and not very nice I can't be quiet.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Craig,
I knew you would not surrender.LOL.
Your point of one's playing being influenced by another's is valid. The same could be said in regards to any of the players you mentioned in your last post,especially me. However, the way in which you relayed it was simply as I said and my opinion is merely a contrast to yours. After all, the wise man said,"it is a public trough".
Lastly, if imitating is the highest form of flattery. I'm flattered and no hard feelings here.
T.W.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tommy White on 13 October 2004 at 08:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

To each, his own. I like a long jammin' ending now and then....give the pickers a chance to show off...but it would drive everyone nuts if it happened on every song.

If someone doesn't care for that, it's personnel taste, not a crime. And certainly not worth condemming someone for.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

The song was just a filler anyway.No great writing,no great singing.Just a filler tune never to be heard on radio.So why not let the guys stretch out a little.As for the jamming.I thought Paul's playing was great but very conservative if you consider that a jam which I don't.That's just the boys streching out a little.If you ever hear Frank jam you'll know it.But It'll still be tasty.
Craig A Davidson

Anyway, The bottom line is this: Go buy the album. There is good stuff on it.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull,Evans SE200,Hilton pedal

Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Like Chet Atkins said years ago, "you get out of it what you put into it", refering to a six string. I was recently befriended by a gentleman who puts in a lot of time practicing and it gets attention when he plays. I think that when a psg musician reaches a point of garnering the attention of other dedicated psg musicians, hey, IMHO that's where they're biting. If you get a chance to ever listen to Gary Lee Gimble, I think you're in for a real treat. www.jayhenley.com
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Thank you TOMMY,just can't get to much steel for me. I suppose TOGETHER AGAIN with
buck owens was over played by TOM B. huh!!
Play em boys, us old country boys need it.
farris
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Craig's point is that he wants the CD to showcase the singer. In that light, a "jam" is a digression. I guess I can see that. But then those jams sure can be fun. Like the shootout between Brent and Paul on Lee Ann Womack's "I Feel Like I'm Forgetting Something" (on that track, Paul seems to be imitating a 6-string). And I think it's good that the AJ's of the world give folks like Brent and Paul (and the other studio icons) the chance to strut their stuff for such a large audience from time to time.

Y'know, I wonder how many folks who hear all this great 6-string and steel playing on these albums (outside of realm of musicians) even know what instruments they're hearing. With many of the people I've had sit down to listen to tracks like the one I mentioned above, I've had to point out what instrument was being played at any given time. They like it, but can't identify it. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 14 October 2004 at 07:36 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

Craig, you have to learn that on the Steel Guitar Forum, you are not allowed to ever explicitly or implicitly critique or negatively discuss anything or anyone related to steel (other than Robert Randolph, cause, I mean, is that really steel-playing?). This is in the constitution. However, guitar-players, recording engineers, singer, drummers, and the record-buying public are all fair game. Now I suggest you find yourself a witness-protection program and spend your lonely days practicing hammer-ons and pull-offs. Image

------------------
Jeff's Jazz
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

The tune about exchanging car repair for "song repair" is really unique. I would think any musician would find the lyrics entertaining.
David Berry

Post by David Berry »

I just went out and ordered my copy of AJ's new CD. I appreciate all of you PSG players: Paul, Lloyd, Tommy, Buddy, Don, Doug, etc. Keep doing what you're doing. If not, I'll have no place to grow. Everyone makes good points in this thread. We're a unique family and sometimes we don't always agree, but we're family. Jeff Lampert, good response!!
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Right on,the average people don't know,because steel is usually hid somewhere in the back.and if steel get a break at all the camera shows a lead or piano when he is playing!!
randy

Post by randy »

I remember posting several years ago and fussing about not hearing Buddy enough on some album I bought just because he was on it.

I can't remember who posted next but he said in essence, You didn't buy a Buddy Emmons album, you bought a so and so album. The guy was the producer of the very album I was referring to.

Anyway, I think that's what Craig was kind of saying. It's just that he's a little spunky when he's challenged. I kind of like that and I am sure Paul does too.

Craig A Davidson

Thanks Randy. I have always kind of been that way. By the way Farris I am not ignorant enought to think that Brumley overplayed. Tom's ride is about what 30seconds? The thing on AJ's is almost two minutes. And outside of the little brief time that Paul and Brent get, the rest is burnt up with piano, mandolin, fiddle, and heaven forbid, a banjo. So pull your head out and get real. And read just above your post that I also said to go get the album. There is good stuff on there too. Jeez!
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

ha ha ha,just teasing,lots of people says to much steel.LOVE IT MYSELF. no harm intended.GOOD NITE ALL. farris
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I just checked out the sample on Burning the honkytonks down on itunes. 8 seconds in Paul starts burning it up !
Does it keep going from there ?
On that first solo is Paul playing the C neck ? I'm to blown away right now to try to figure it out.

------------------

Bob
intonation help

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 14 October 2004 at 07:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

No that's the E neck.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I just bought it on itunes. Yea Dan, it sounds like the E neck on that first one except for Paul has got some extra strings or fingers or maybe some sort of turbo charged bar.

Bob<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 14 October 2004 at 09:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

GO here and you can listen to the entire album. Image http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/jackson_alan/774381/album.jhtml
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

This was obviously a song to purposely showcase the musicians since there are few words to be sung (remember the song "Momma Don't Allow No _?_"). It is refreshing to find an artist who will allow this. The CD is worth buying just for this one song as all the musicians get to take a ride on it and all do a great job.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

First and second solo are on the E9th neck IMO.
That fourth pedal is a wonder of development in my eyes.And if my ears are not playing tricks on me i also hear the knee-lever that goes with it.
IMO the PF pedal is one of the greatest inventions ever made for PSG's

Ron

Nikaro SD10 4x6
Savell

Post by Savell »

.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Savell on 31 May 2005 at 01:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Craig A Davidson

Thanks Savell. And you other guys just go ahead and pull the meat of the topic right off the bone. It's cool. Gotta go. Got a special delivery at my door. It's the new Shania, Garth, Dixie Chicks compilaton album..............................
Craig A Davidson

Not! Image

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull,Evans SE200,Hilton pedal

Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Ronald the second solo was done on C6th.I know you don't know me but trust me or just ask someone you do trust. Image Regards..bb