Lloyd Green on Paycheck tribute CD

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chad Karnitz

Lloyd Green on Paycheck tribute CD

Post by Chad Karnitz »

Lloyd Green fans rejoice!
Touch My Heart, the Johnny Paycheck tribute CD on Sugar Hill records, was released this week. I found my copy at WallyWorld.

Lloyd's playing is beautiful, intense and fits every song perfectly. Redd Volkaert handles guitar chores on most of the songs, too. Artists covering Paycheck songs include Neko Case (one of my personal favs), Dallas Wayne, George Jones, Hank III, Johnny Bush and many more.

Buy the sucker, you won't be disappointed!
Bill Bosler

Post by Bill Bosler »

I hope the CD doesn't have "Colorado Kool-Aide" included.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

I agree completely, this CD is a must have for any Lloyd fan. It's a real winner.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

What is the title of the CD?

El Woodrow
Chad Karnitz

Post by Chad Karnitz »

The title is:

Touch My Heart: A Tribute to Johnny Paycheck
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

I got a copy a few weeks ago from a friend, and it's got great Lloyd Green all over it. The version of "Touch My Heart" is very cool (though very, very different than either Paycheck's or Ray Price's classic version). It's got the great Mavis Staples singing mostly against Piano and Hammond B-3 for the first part of the song, and then Lloyd makes his entrance. His last fill on that verse sure sounds to me like he's knowingly incorporated a bit of his friend Robert Randolph's phrasing ;-) and then he plays a tremendous long and very "bluesy" solo... There are certainly more conventional moments of great country stuff on the record (I love the Dallas Wayne and Jim Lauderdale tracks) but this is the track I keep coming back to...

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 12 August 2004 at 11:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Doug Brumley

Post by Doug Brumley »

I just picked this CD up yesterday evening. I had already been planning to buy it without hearing a note, thanks to contributions by Neko Case and Lloyd Green. Plus I only recently discovered Paycheck's Little Darlin' material (via The Real Mr. Heartache) and am really enjoying it. Yet while listening to KEXP.org yesterday, I heard a track--Dave Alvin's cover of "11 Months And 29 Days"--and was convinced I needed this album ASAP. Looking forward to sinking into it today... all the way to the bottom. Image
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I got my copy today, Lloyd and
Redd Volkeart compliment each other
very well. Russ Pahl plays some wah-wah
guitar too.

------------------
Rick Johnson
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Bought it this weekend.

YIKES is Lloyd ever awesome on this disc!! I love the arrangements. I wasn't crazy about a couple of the producers choices for vocalists, but that aside this is incredible music. I especially like the songs that have a new twist... Like "Touch My Heart" - I've got to go with Pete Finney on this one... I can't stop listening to it... I nearly had a spell the first time I listened to Lloyd's solo on it. The price of the CD was worth it, if I only got to listen to that one song. Way to go Lloyd!!!

Respectfully,
Dave Burr
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

I'd go so far as to say that Lloyd Green's steel parts unifiy the diversity of the vocal takes and variety of arrangements on the disc. The steel tone is warm and sweet, present from enough to a juicy punch in the mix. Some, not, all rhythm tracks really nail the shuffle that was so together in the original Paycheck recordings. Also, an interesting contrast when you compare, if you have the old Little Darlin recordings, LDG steel tone from then to now.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I've listened a few times this past week and it just gets better. it was worth the wait of almost a year. One of my favoretes is George Jones doing Friend Don't Take Her She's All I Got.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

This CD won't be available in stores in Edmonton until August 31. I can't wait.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Looks like this record gets a lot of attention! Even better, also Lloyd's playing on the tribute gets a well-deserved acknowledgement, as well as his important role on the Little Darlin' recordings of Johnny Paycheck!)

You can read some of the reviews on the website:

www.lloydgreentribute.com

They can be found on the "News" page.

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Walter Stettner on 18 August 2004 at 02:04 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Walter Stettner on 18 August 2004 at 02:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Charlie Vaughn

Post by Charlie Vaughn »

Picked up a copy of this CD today and it is great. Lloyd Green was fanfastic as always. This is a must have CD for Lloyd Green fans and those who like me love the songs of Johnny Paycheck.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I got mine two days ago and it is a great album. Although the title track is done differently, the song just tears me up. Mavis sings it with real soul. The only track I am not fond of yet, is HankIII singing the only hell in a minor key. It is hard to get used to.
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

I just read a glowing review of the album in the Washington Post, they specifically singled out Mr. Green and praise his work. Good for you Mr. Green.
erik

Post by erik »

Just ordered this from Amazon. It's ranked at 480. That's pretty high for a niche CD.
David Berry

Post by David Berry »

I ordered mine on Amazon.com and got it last Friday. I listened to it on the way to my pedal steel guitar lesson last Saturday morning. Needless to say, I was inspired by the time I got there! This one's a keeper. Mighty fine stuff all the way around. Good players and good playing.
Roland van Beveren

Post by Roland van Beveren »

Been looking out for this album since I read the topic on the forum about a year ago. Finally it's here. Excellent songs, vintage Lloyd Green steeling, superb sound... the great Robbie Fulks did it again!

All the best from Amsterdam,
Roland
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Roland,

My band, The Rattlers, shared the bill last night with the great Robbie Fulks and his band. I have known Robbie for many years and he is the real deal. I even played at his wedding.

He stood 8 feet (2.7 meters) in front of me and watched us play all of our 95 minute set. It wouldn't surprise me if Robbie is a secret steel fanatic. BTW Robbie and his band were just great.

TC Furlong
Roland van Beveren

Post by Roland van Beveren »

T.C.
Lucky you, that sounds OK to me!
Wish I was there...
Indeed, there's plenty of brilliant steelplaying on Fulks' records. One of my all time favourites is Paul Carestia's solo in "Barely Human".
Unfortunately Robbie Fulks isn't very famous here in Holland. I am trying to change this, but the message is being spread very slowly...

All the best from Amsterdam,
Roland

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roland van Beveren on 30 August 2004 at 01:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I played my copy of this CD last nite and really enjoyed it except for Hank Williams III's song. What a disappointment! Image
Erv
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Roland,

I also am a fan of Paul Carestia's playing. I used to go to hear him a lot in the 80's with Max Jones and the Southern Sounds. He played a ZB Custom D-10 and his tone was and still is just beautiful. Paul plays a Franklin now.

A number of years back, Paul and I played twin steels one night (pretty uncommon in our area)... it was a blast.

So long from Chicago,

TC