Top Hottest Pedal Steel Solos?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mylos Sonka

Post by Mylos Sonka »

Vance Terry's favorite solo was Muph's solo on "The Kid with the Rip in HIs Pants," sung by Roy Rogers. His own favorite solo was one he took on a Bob Wills record called "Boston Fancy."

Mylos<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mylos Sonka on 28 June 2004 at 11:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Hans Holzherr

Post by Hans Holzherr »

All the fast numbers on Doug Jernigans LP "Gospel Steel Guitar".

Hans
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

A very hot solo was on E's video from 1977 in Mass. His steel break on "Truck Drivin' Man"...Awesome~!
Ryan Giese

Post by Ryan Giese »

I heard David Wright at a Steel Guitar Jam in Deer Park last Sunday. He was one of the best I have heard if not the best.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Buddy Cage (with some help from Amos Garret) on Sylvia Tyson's "Truckers' Cafe" the 1969 "Great Speckled Bird" album.
Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Post by Ricky Littleton »

Buddy Cage w/ NPRS on "Hello Mary Lou", Bruce Bouton on "One Way Rider", Jim Murphy on "She Thinks I still Care" w/Paycheck @Lonestar Cafe, Ralph Mooney w/Waylon Live "Lonesome Onr'y and Mean", Buddy Emmons w/ G. Strait "King of Broken Hearts", John Call w/PPL on "I'll Fix Your Flat Tire Merle"...

Someone stop me!!!!!

Ricky

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Dan-Echo, E-Bow, Ibanez Distortion, Boss Comp./Sustain, Ibanez Auto-Wah, PX4 Pandoras Box

Jimmy Douglas

Post by Jimmy Douglas »

Pretty subjective really but for my money Hot solos that I have heard and that still makes the skin clammy and hairs stand up wld include (even though some are Non pedal)
Leon Mc on "Your'e Ok",

Herb Remington Presto era Wills, and "No Shoes Boogie" with Charlie Harris ( thanks Andrew)

Bobby Koefer Sitting on Top of the World, with Wills and with Pee Wee "Railroad boogie" ,"Catty Town" and "Plantation Boogie" (whacky E13 fills behind the singing)

Hal Aloma "Little Grass Shack"

Speedy West on Capitol..."Bustin Thru" "This aint the Blues" and "Flippin the Lid" are indicative.

Vance Terry "Down in old Mexico" with Billy Jack "Lone Star Rag" and "Four or Five times" (IMHO this solo rivals Curly for being able to bring out the chordal uniqueness of the steelguitar, Amazing conception, sparkling tone and iron clad delivery...Yikes!!) with Bob. I think these cuts are from the same session Mylos mentioned.

Joaquin Murphy on Spade's "Night and Day" and "The Cow pasture song" and "The Campbells are coming" (I think that is the title) with the Caravan.

The steel player on "Man with the Blues" Willie

That Buddy Emmons solo posted by Herb is outa sight! BTW, Herb, is that cut on the Bear family box? Other BE gems for me include

"Play the music louder" with Curtis Gordon

"Buddies Boogie"

"Scrapple from the Apple" with Lenny Breau.

"Rock Candy" studio version

"Caravan"

"Wills Point"

BE Curly Chalker w Johnny Bush "Home in San Antone"

Curly on "60 minute man" with Hank Thompson and his "Make the world go away" on Big hits

Julian Tharpe on the Boogie on "Jet Age" and "Bucksnort Stomp"

Doug Jernigan "Blacks Blues" and on "Big Town Baby" with Don Adams

Maurice Anderson "Secret Love" on Steel 'n' Brass

Lloyd Green on "Let the Chips fall" with Charley Pride

I agree with the above post, it seems Buck Owens had a knack for getting the steelmen to deliver the viddles hot, eg "Above and Beyond" and "Close up the Honky Tonks"

JD Maness "Sweet T Pie"

Junior Brown " I hung it up"

forgive me but I ramble.

anon

Jimmy

Ryan Giese

Post by Ryan Giese »

Again, I would have to say David Wright. He played this song at the convention in Deer Park that was a little bit of 4 or 5 of the Bob Wills songs. It was amazing how well he played.
Jeb Baldwin

Post by Jeb Baldwin »

For me, Don Helms on the kickoff and turnaround on Walking after Midnight. Cold chills everytime.
I also like the work on Daryl Worely stuff.

------------------
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Weldon Myrick,on Tommy Overstreet's,"If Love Was A Bottle Of Wine". Took me the better part of 3 days to learn it.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

JayDee Maness solo on Ray Prices "Misty" really stands out for me, it got a lot of air play at the time too -- and just about anything Paul Franklin & Buddy Emmons does is exceptional.
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

I just saw this thread, so I thought I'd add some of the "hottest pedal steel solos" that I have heard....all older stuff, though.

Keep this in mind...a great steel solo is not one that is just technically difficult. It must fit the mood of the song as well....VERY important! Now, in most cases, you'll get a steel solo that is both difficult to play AND fits the mood of the song perfectly....like these:

1)"Wax Minute" (Red Rhodes) - Recorded by Michael Nesmith & The Second National Band on the "Tantamount to Treason" album.

2)"Rainbows All Over Your Blues" (Buddy Emmons) - Recorded by John Sebastian on his "John B. Sebastian" album

3)"Drug Store Truck Driving Man" (Neil Flanz) - Recorded by Gram Parsons on the "Live with the Fallen Angels" album he did with Emmylou Harris in 1973

4)I hate it when people list a whole album (or entire catalog of work by an artist), but I must say...the epitome of great backup pedal steel playing with great solos has to be Red Rhodes' playing with Michael Nesmith & The First National Band on the "Loose Salute" album. Any of you who play pedal steel and do not own this album are really missing out. "Tengo Amor", "Bye Bye Bye", "Lady Of The Valley"....captivating and impossible-to-play solos. Wow. THIS ALBUM is the reason I play this instrument.

5)Similar to #4 would be Michael Nesmith's solo album "And The Hits Just Keep On Coming". The whole album is just guitar and pedal steel. Every song is dominated by that pedal steel, and is without a doubt the finest session work Red Rhodes EVER laid down, alongside that which he did in #4. Magnificient solos on each song that fit the mood of the song (and the album) perfectly. Again, this is an album you NEED.

6)"Everybody's Doin' It" (Bobby Black) Recorded by Commander Cody on the "Country Casanova" album.....but beware....he rhymes "truckin" quite often with another word that would be objectionable to the kids (thus the title of the song). Great swing tune....my old band wanted to do this one!

These are the standouts in my mind....

Joe
Tommy Roten

Post by Tommy Roten »

Mike Johnson on Brad Paisleys "Munster rag"
Mike Bowles

Post by Mike Bowles »

all these guys are great each one has a special place in the world of pedal steel i wish i knew what these guys have already forgotten
Jelle Biel

Post by Jelle Biel »

Herb,,,,,,,,,who is that
""Kid With The Rip In His Pants""

Jelle<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jelle Biel on 02 September 2004 at 06:27 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Yednasty

Post by Joe Yednasty »

I think many will agree with me on this.

Waylon Jennings - Live (Expanded Edition)

The Great Ralph Mooney
"Mona"
"The Last Letter"

I am only naming two from this album, but you won't get bored with any other solos that Ralph Mooney cooks with the Waylors.

------------------
"Eskimo" Joe Yednasty
Emmons P/P S-10 (70's?)
Peavey Session 500

Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Lloyd Green's C6th like solo on the new Paycheck trbute album for the song Touch My Heart.
Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

Smiley, correct me if I am wrong but I think "If Love Was A Bottle Of Wine" was the first time on record for Weldon's 3 string, 2 finger, 1 pedal speed picking thing. I can hardly remember back that far (around 1970s I think). I don't even remember what I had for supper tonight. Thanks
Gere
Phil Johnson

Post by Phil Johnson »

Ditto on Buddy Emmons' solo on Gentle On My Mind from John Hartford's "All In The Name Of Love" Album. This has been my favorite for years.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Buddy Emmons' solo on Judy Collins' "Some Day Soon."
Sneaky Pete's solo on "Wheels"
Pete Drake's backup on "Lay Lady Lay"
Chuck
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Sonny Garrish on Red Steagall's "The walls in this old honky tonk"

Stu Basore on Jean Shepard's "City Lights" (late 70's/early80's remake)

Weldon Myrick on Gary Stewart's "Hank Western"

John Hughey on Marty Stuart's "This one's gonna hurt you"

Buddy Emmons on Ray Price's "Different kind of flower (1977, the "Reunited" album)

Lucky Oceans on Asleep at the Wheel's "Dead Man"

Sonny Garrish on Scott McQuaig's "Take the smile from your face"

Buddy Emmons on his own vocal track "Bottle baby boogie"
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

My favorites are solos that do not have some one trying to sing...I like music, not hog calling...........Jennings........

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +