Bruce Bouton

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Morse

Bruce Bouton

Post by Gary Morse »

I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to Bruce Bouton for taking the time to express his thoughts on this forum, regardless of whether or not his viewpoint is shared by all here.
Bruce is a well-respected veteran steel player who has played on more hit records than most of the people on this forum combined will ever play on.
When I first started playing steel back in 1970 I would have given anything to have access to a forum like this. If you had told me back then that in the future there would be a thing known as the internet and that it would allow me to read comments and post questions directly to top studio and touring steel players I would have questioned your sanity.
But that's exactly what this is. An opportunity to gain access and knowledge. A chance to further both our own future and the future of the steel guitar itself.
I don't intend to jump into the Robert Randoph debate but I will say that I'm always excited to see players experimenting with the instrument in different genres. It wasn't that long ago that pedals were first introduced on the steel guitar and many people viewed it as controversial. I'm thankful there were visionaries back then and I am hopeful that there are more to come in the future.
Thankyou to Bob for this forum and thankyou to respected players such as Bruce for sharing their opinions and knowledge.
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Well said on all counts, Gary. Thanks!
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

A lot of people still don't really like the pedals thing..

I was honored to know Mr Bouten, though not personally, when I was in Oxon Hill Md taking lessons, and just about the time he got a job with a "little hillbilly band" that used to play downtown DC.

The rest is history.

I've enjoyed my journey, and hope he has enjoyed his. He's sure given me enough licks to work on for a lifetime, and he's a real person as well.

I've avoided getting into RR threads since I saw what a bunch of non-playing bullshit they included.

More power to anybody that gets out there, plugs in, and takes the money.

Even those that take millions of dollars.

EJL
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 08 August 2004 at 09:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

It is good to see good give and take with out the mud throwing. I got wound up in that some time back. Bruce is a class act as is Tommy W. and Bobbe S. and they paid there dues so I will be watching for every thing they have to say.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

Thanks for the kind words, especially from the great Gary morse.Wayne Dahl and I couldn't get over how great you sounded at the ACM"S. I think Eric said it right. If someones lucky enough to be able to make a living playing music and lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time more power to them. I thank God every day that I'm still able to do what I do.
BB
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Mr B.

Knowing how hard I've had to work for what skill I have and watching it put to shame by the long and hard work honed skills of those like yourself, Mr Morse, and others, I think calling it "luck" is a little dismissive.

In fact, I'm sure of it.

What limited time I saw and heard you spend with Mr Charleton while I was waiting in the hall, wasn't time spent "twiddling your thumbs, and waiting for a friendly turn of fate".

I hope you have the patience to endure both those of us that either don't play or think as well as we should keep you from interacting with the group as a whole. Few of us do both from my experience.

I don't know for instance how I could have learned from Mr Brightman how they recorded "Stop the World" in 74. To me that's a lot more important than trading insensitivities with people you'd rather be sitting across from taking a lesson.

It's all probably a lot of tension from the world situation, and the election cycle.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for your upcoming years of lending us a hand with your experiences and bearing with the boneheads..

Now I'm going to sneak out and get ready to haul a couple rollers in the morning, and work all week til I get to be what I almost was last nite.

EJL
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Hi Bruce. I'm not sure you know how big and influence you have been (and still are) to a lot of us "little guys" out here. There are 2 steel players that have been the biggest influence on me. Bruce Bouton and Hank DeVito. You boys just happened to play with some of my favorite artists. I would by an album, listen to it and think "Wow, who is that on steel"? And every time I would say that to myself, and then look at the credits, either you or Hank would be doing the steel work. I knew who you 2 guys were before I knew who Lloyd Green and Tom Brumley were! When I first started playing steel guitar, it was you 2 guys I would try to emulate.....(I said TRY....still working on it!)
I,m glad we now have this forum. It allows us to talk to some of our heroes that I would otherwise never been able to talk to. Anyway, enough a$$ kissing. Let an old Firefighter and part time steeler just say thanks for years of enjoyment and influence.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

"Do Right, and Fear No Man"
Ronald Reagan
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I'd also like to thank Bruce for being here.

I clearly recall Bruce posting a similar defense for Garth Brooks a few years ago.
It seems some of the members choose to bash Garth for being mega-sucessful with music they did not like. Bruce told it like is is from his inside viewpoint.

Equal bashing of both RR and Garth has me convinced this is not a racial issue.

That still does not make it right.
Play what like, listen to what you like, and let others do the same.

RR seems to be following "The Golden Rule".
I'm speaking of the original one, not Smiley's version Image . We should do the same.

For those of you that don't know, Bruce has made these post while busy with a Reba tour.

Thanks again, BB. I hope you'll post more often, on Steel Guitar issues.
Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

Bruce, I know you have no idea who I am (and you are in the majority), but I spent the day with you and the rest of the band when Ricky was putting it together, I was invited there by my dear friend Bobby Hicks. I remember well how you had that huge dog sitting by you all the time you were picking. You guys were working up 2 songs and I am pretty sure the were "Heartbroke" and maybe "Highway 40 Blues". At that time I had been trying to play steel longer than you had been alive and you totally blew my mind with your picking. I just had to say hi to you here on the forum and I appreciate your taking some of your very busy time to talk with us "regular" guys. Thanks you.
Gere
Lyle Bradford

Post by Lyle Bradford »

QUOTE! I don't intend to jump into the Robert Randoph debate but I will say that I'm always excited to see players experimenting with the instrument in different genres.

Looks like you just did with both feet!
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

<SMALL>Bruce is a well-respected veteran steel player who has played on more hit records than most of the people on this forum combined will ever play on. </SMALL>
Yeap, he has done some cool stuff over the years, but I am not really sure this is a requirement for having a valid or even a more valid opinion on this forum...

Not even sure this is a good measurement of the caliber of player. For example, he has probably played on more hit records than Doug Jernigan, but...

One thing the "elitists" may want to keep in mind is that a majority of the market for their products (ie Instrumental CDs, courses, etc.) read this forum. It does not make good business sense to alienate those buyers...Think about it.

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+7 #2441D

John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

Frank,

??????

That post was almost incomprehensible.
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Thanks Bruce for saying it like it is. I agree with Bruce and Gary's comment...let's celebrate the 'exposure and expansion' of the steel guitar into new markets by some fresh and creative musicians.

As I have mentioned before, I look forward to the day when we have for example great classical steel guitarists etc. Let' see this great instrument break out into every musical genre as possible by encouraging the younger players who approach it different than say my generation of players. I also agree with John Fabian's comment!
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

When I was first starting to make my move to going full time as a steel player Bruce was very nice to me. I was down in Nashville on some crappy van tour and Bruce invited me to be a guest at a Nashville session he was doing. Its great that a player of his stature takes the time to help out nobodys like me. Bruce is one of the good guys.

Also "Steel Summit With the Masters" Eddie Stubbs interviews Jimmy Crawford, Lloyd Green, Weldon Myrick & Hal Rugg is a real labour of love for the the pedalsteel and our small community. If you guys out there don't have a copy yet you should pick one up and help out the forum at the same time.

http://steelguitarmusic.com/reference.html

------------------

Bob
intonation help

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 09 August 2004 at 02:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
BobG

Post by BobG »

I had a day off today so I decided to stop by a local music store called The Guitar Center.. They are a major music store here in the north east.. Anyway, I went there looking for a moderately priced mandolin. While sampling one I got into a conversation with the saleman and mentioned the fact that I play Pedal Steel in a local country band. His eyes lit up when I said Pedal Steel.. He told me he has been getting alot of inquiries lately.. Everybody want to see the instrument that.. you guessed it.. Robert Randolph is playing...
I also played a gig at a local fair here in New Jersey.. At least 4 people came up to me asking if I ever heard of RR.
The point is..The Pedal Steel is finally getting recognition... and we are the ones who will benefit.
All I can say is "Thank You Robert Randolph"...All the power to you"..
and if you want to jam with another Jersey player feel free to drop me an email Image

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobG on 09 August 2004 at 09:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

In regards to Bruce's previous post, I have no desire to opine on RR one way or another, however I do feel his remarks towards Carl Dixon were unneccesarily harsh. We should be able to respectfully disagree with one another's opinions here.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Besides being a wonderful person,and a great musician,It took a lot of guts for Bruce to write his post.Even though he knew that he would get a truck load of negative replys,Bruce is one of the few Icon Players that is still on the Forum,He hasen't been been run off yet by some of snipers that are always looking for a fight.We should all be thankful that Bruce is still here,He is one of the few Masters of the instrument,We can learn so much from him.Gary Morse aint no slouch his ownself!
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Not too surprised you don't get it, John...
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Bruce Bouton is a credit to the steel guitar community, period. He has his opinions and things that irk him. So do I, and so does everyone else.

I echo my dear friend Stu Schulman's post above.

A few years ago, Bruce Bouton Stu Schulman, Dan Tyack, sacred steeler Lonnie Bennett, and yours truly had a great jam session at ISGC that was enjoyed by many attendees. Players heard western swing, blues, soul guitar, traditional country, and sacred steel all working out on a variety of gospel-type songs.

That was a beautiful time for me, and it showed how different styles can work so well together.

That is, if your head is in the right place, baby.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Herb,
I was playing bass for a while at that jam while Frank Estes played drums. Fun afternoon.

------------------

Bob
intonation help

Ann Fabian

Post by Ann Fabian »

Bob and all Image here are a few photos from that truly wonderful jam on Saturday afternoon in 2000 at ISGC.

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
www.SteelGuitar.com
www.SteelGuitarINFO.com
www.OnLineSteelers.com
www.CarterStarter.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 12 August 2004 at 12:22 PM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Yeah, Bob H. was on bass, and I actually grooved onstage with Frank Estes!! Ayy caramba! Image

BTW, Stu Schulman, whom I've known and dug since 1974 when he came to TX with "Wild Bill and the Buffalo Yankees," is not only a fine steel player, but also one excellent R&B/soul guitarist.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 12 August 2004 at 01:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Alan Pagliere

Post by Alan Pagliere »

I've been meaning to get back to this thread for a day or two and leave a reply.

Thanks, Bruce, for your original post.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I really don't see any connection whatsoever between the musical accomplishments of an individual and the validty of one's opinions. These are separate parts of personality and awareness. I've certainly met some stellar musicians who were not particularly insightful people! I really respect anyone who takes a stand behind their personal belief system- but when it comes to opinion, a well-reasoned argument will impress me every time. I've found Bruce to be as thoughtful and clear-headed in his forum postings as he is in his recorded output. I'd sure like to know him better.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Bruce thanks for being among the folks who follow my issues as a fan of country music.