Who got started with Jeff Newman??????????????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Henry

Who got started with Jeff Newman??????????????

Post by Brian Henry »

I did. I spent a week in Jeff's/ residential class. 1980 Went back for a refresher in 1982. I could'nt even tune the thing nor could I play a note. Jeff Newman teaches pedalsteel guitar like he's teaching brain surgery. Hed is so exact, precise and almost irritating. Yet I learned to play the world's most intimidatiing instrument. In addition I met many masters including, Lloyd Green, Buddy Emmons and John Hughey. Heck I had to sell some furniture, put my tele in the pawn shop and borrow money from my kids in order to pay for the tuition. But you know it was worth every penny and then some. Thank you Jeff newman for getting me hooked on this thing. Brian Henry
Ron Sodos

Post by Ron Sodos »

I was playing for about 3-4 years when I went to Jeff's school in 1978. I had a bit of theory training as a kid so I got alot out of Jeff's school. What i got the most was an approach to steel that allowed me to learn as I played. Even at a gig when i was playing i could think in such a way that every gig and rehearsel or practice became a learning experience. I still think in those terms and I can improvise and expand every time i play. Thanks again Jeff Newman for a lifetime career......Tucson Ron<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Sodos on 23 March 2004 at 01:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

I remember coming across some of his written material early in the 70's. He was explaining his approach to using the right hand, which he later elaborated on with his Right Hand Alpha video. He said at the time, you can learn my technique now, or wait ten years until you can't progress any further. At the time I thought his right hand technique was awkward and uncomfortable, so I didn't learn it. But ten years later when it seemed like I couldn't progress any further, I went back and relearned the right hand, using his technique. And he was right!
Jody Cameron

Post by Jody Cameron »

Yes, Jeff Newman taught me a great deal about how to continue to learn each time I sit down to play. His school is like liberal college education for steel guitar...it doesn't necesarily teach you specifics...it teaches you HOW to learn specifics that YOU want to concentrate on.

Thanks Jeff Newman...
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

As I suspected, from his photos he looks like he'd be a demanding schoolmarm, almost like the Sisters of Mercy I had in grade and high school (which was definitely a misnomer 'cause they were unmerciful)... Does he carry a pointer ready to smack your fingers if you screw up? :>) They did...

But his training lessons are really cool, detailed an practical. I especially enjoy the writing style that kinda encourages patience.

I can only hope that one day before I leave this earth that I can make it to his school.
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

I did! 2 trips to the "hill" and every video lesson Jeff has produced.
Jonathan Gregg

Post by Jonathan Gregg »

I'm a big fan. Easily the best method, hands down -- really, the *only* method, strictly speaking. Everybody else's videos or books have varying degrees of useful info, but none of them have a consistent, incremental approach, which is what Newman's excel at.

I also did a week one-on-one with Jeff, and he's no hand-holder, but you learn a lot.

I have been frustrated by most other instructional tapes. The creators usually demonstrate their 10 favorite licks, often without accurate tablature or playalong tracks, as if that constitutes some kind of learning program. Sometimes it's good; most of the time, it's not so good, or at least not good enough to justify the cost. And good luck using any of it in another context. Newman's stuff is usable right out of the box.
Ronald Moore

Post by Ronald Moore »

I didn't start out with Jeff Newman, but I don't think I really learned anything worthwhile until I got to one of his seminars. If you want to learn C6th or B6th as in my case, you can't beat his C6th courses. As in all of his courses, you don't learn to play like Jeff, you learn to play like yourself, only the right way!! Ron
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I actually got started with Winnies book, but went to Jeff's advanced class in 1982 after I had been playing about 4 years. Best thing I ever did for my steel playing!! Would have taken me 10 years of floundering to learn what I did in 10 days with Jeff. I can't speak more highly of the value of his school, and of his approach to teaching steel.
George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

I had been playing "at" the PSG for about 12 years, then went to the 5 day intermediate class that Jeff was running in the 80's. I went back later for the 5 day advanced class, then he had some intensive weekend classes on specific subjects. I attended a few of those. I have also been to Jeff's seminars when he does them at conventions. I bought a lot of his courses before video came along. Jeff certainly is responsible for the way I play and think today and the understanding of the instrument.
Egil Skjelnes

Post by Egil Skjelnes »

Hi
In 1978 I took a one week class at Jeff`s place in Nashville.I had then had the steel for 3 years,and used his courses at home,but this week was fun,and we really learned alot.He really is a good teacher.Jeff has also been to Norway several times with his teaching,and he is always inspiring to listen to.I ahve used all of his LP`s to learn from,and can say that they learned me almost all I can,a ggod start.
Thanks Jeff.
Best from Egil.
Winnie Winston

Post by Winnie Winston »

My first start was Neil Flanz.
My second was Jeff Newman's "Music to E9th by" and "Music to C6th by".
I went to about three of his first seminars way back before he started his Nashville school.

JW
Roar Oien

Post by Roar Oien »

It's a pleasure for me to add-on to this list. I have many pedal steel players as favourites and they're all willing to share their ideas and thoughts.
But when it comes to teaching this instrument as a skill, nothing compares to what Jeff Newman does.
In January 2000 I got the opportunity to visit him and Fran and we spent some days on top of the hill. Worst expirience ever ... I'm glad Fran's delicious cakes made me think of something else now and then ... But Jeff knew me better than I did myself, - and he hit me just where I needed it. I recommend it to anyone and I would love to visit them again.

------------------
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I went to Jeff's seminar in El Segundo, Calif. in 1978. I'd already been playing full time for 15 years on lead guitar and did some steel things on a Fender 1000 which was mostly Ralph Mooney licks and nothing else which ain't really bad. I'd just purchased a ShoBud S-12 which I wanted to learn more about so I could get some variety in my playing. That one day alone was great! Jeff opened my eyes to string grips, chord positions, use of the 1st, 2nd, and 9th strings which I hadn't really been into much. At that seminar he also taught us to play "Nightlife" on the E9 which was great as my band was doing the song but I'd been playing it on guitar as I couldn't get it on my Fender. I had one of the few 12 string guitars there but during a break Jeff came to my guitar and showed me some of the low string things which weren't on the seminar as it was for 10 string E9. All in all it was a great experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Have a good 'un....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Actually, b0b got me started after hooking me up with a Sho-Bud and was really helpful giving me the basics and steering me.

I then went to a weekend seminar of Jeff's in Stockton, Ca., then I went to another one in Phoenix. Jeff's a great teacher and someday I'd love to go to his week long school.

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Had a steel about 2 years and had Winnie's book. Took a couple lessons from a local music store. He recommended Jeffran. Attended class Apr. '80. Best money I ever spent. Got to see and hear a lot of pro musicians. Greatest week ever spent in the music realm.

JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

I went to one of Jeff classes held just out side of Kan City back in 77 back then Jeff would cover alot material in a short time, but I had a tape recorder, that weekend has help me more then any thing to get started. Jeff is one of the best at teaching an playing steel guitar. Jerry
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Jeff was among my first teachers, and in the middle, and even more recently. I never stop learning from that man.
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

I learned from Jeff's 45RPM recordings of the Woodshed Workshop. He's a very good instructor that I highly recommend to anyone who is wanting to learn how to play.
Joey Gaskins

Post by Joey Gaskins »

The thing that has impressed me the most about Jeff's courses is when he gets to a point and says to stop; now it's up to you. It's up to us to either continue or get serious and learn whats been shown.
JAMES BANKS

Post by JAMES BANKS »

I had attended Jeff's seminars in Dallas for 8 or 9 years. I did learn a little but not what I thought I should. After about 10 years of playing at the steel, I made a comment to my wife, I would like to sit down with Jeff Newman or Jr Knight (who is closer than Nashville) and let one of them show me what I was doing wrong. She signed me up for 3 days with Jeff at Top Gun. That was the best 3 days of my steel playing life. He did just what I wanted the first morning after we talked about why I was there. After he pointed out all the things I was doing wrong, I was about ready to pack up and go back home. I worked so hard the first day, I was exhausted when class was over. The next two days were not as bad. He told me not to expect to do any better when I returned home. Good thing I didn't expect that. For about a month, I was trying so hard to remember all he taught me and showed me, I was like a rank beginner. He said it would all come to me in 3 months to a year. Well, about 4 or 5 months later, I started playing things I could not play before, it was almost like magic. I relayed all this to him in Dallas two weeks ago. He smiled and said he hears that story every day. The man should be called Master for what he does for steel players. The old books from the seminars even have a new slant to them after 3 days with him. I plan to go back next year for another go around. He is definately a real friend to wanna be steel players. He and Fran are gracious host and hostess. Spend the money and take the time to go to "the hill" with Jeff. Take your signifigant other, the scenery is great as well.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

I made it to Jeff's class in 1980, all the way from South Africa. A major trip. Never been out the Country before. To any aspiring steel guitarist my advice would be to beg, steel or borrow, but make sure you go to one of his week long classes (if he still does them).
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

I attended a week long class in Nashville in 1991. A solid week of steel guitar with a special performance by Lloyd Green, Johnny Cox, Stu Basore, and Jeff. Jeff really opened my eyes to see things that I didn't know were there. When I got home, I had so much information crammed into my brain that my playing was WORSE!!!! Just like Jeff said it would be. Then about a 1-1/2 months later, I started seeing the light and everything started to come together. I know my band was thankful for that. One thing about Jeff, he calls it like he sees it. And he is right. I would love to attend his school in the mountains. I feel you can never stop learning. Thanks Jeff!!!!!

Greg
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I went to Jeff's seminar up here in the N.E. about 1976 or so. I had been trying to play something coherent on a Maverick back then. Well, I've got to tell you all, that, that man opened all the doors and windows and let the inspiration come in. In those days, the seminars were about 8 hours long, beginners to advanced all sat together. There was some stuff and the end of the day that was so mind-boggling, it made my head hurt. I tried to play it all, though.I remember going home and practising till my fingers hurt. I couldn't wait until next years seminar, so I could try to absorb more of this man's treasured knowledge. I consider myself a lucky person to have someone like Jeff and his wife Fran, for true friends. For, I've never stopped learning from him.
George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

I just remembered something Jeff said after the first 5 day class. He said I wouldn't be able to play the way he had taught and that the way I was playing would sound all wrong. So for a few months, I was screwed up, just like he said I would be. But when it started coming together, it was wonderful.