Loretta Lynn on the Today Show

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Loretta Lynn on the Today Show

Post by Stu Schulman »

After reading a review in our local paper this past Fri. about How great the new Loretta Lynn record is produced by Jack White and his "Legendary Band" I finally got a chance to see it live on the Today Show.It was Pretty Sour sounding.I hope that the record is better
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

I saw it too..... Image
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I heard the whole CD. It is truly awful and embarrasing to listen to. At least listen to some sound samples to decide if you like it before plucking your hard earned money for it.

Greg
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

I think the industry powers that be call that 'Hip Country'...all I know is thats the sound that I've been working 40 years to get away from.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I guess that I'll save my money and pass on the record.Russ Hicks Wow!One of my musical heroes.
Tom Cunningham

Post by Tom Cunningham »

I heard it on radio over here as well.
Unbeleivable!! Why???
Teesee
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Hey Russ, please keep on trying to stay away from that! You may not be "hip", but I (probably not the only one) love that! Image

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

This is interesting - I only learned about this new record at the weekend. There was a copy of 'Rolling Stone' at the gig I was playing, and I read this glowing review of Loretta's new CD.

I still haven't heard it, but I was amazed to see a country release getting a whole page in such a publication - I'll reserve judgement until I hear it for myself, but the remarks on this thread might offer an explanation.

What a shame they didn't give the same space to a really great modern country record like Joe Nichols' CD - I guess that'd be too much to expect....

RR
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

As I said, Scott, I reserve judgement until I hear it for myself.

It does, however, seem a pity that 'conventional' country records that feature excellent musicianship (like Nichols') are ignored by publications purporting to reflect musical trends - 'Rolling Stone', I suspect, would have ignored Lynn's record had it been more conventional.

RR
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

What I've heard sounds pretty damn cool. It's not country, if that's what all the beef is.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Loretta Lynn is no stranger to controversy. Some of her most popular songs had controversial starts. Mainly because they looked real life square in the eye and made no compromises.

A few days ago, NPR's afternoon news magazine, "All Things Considered", had an interview with her. In the interview, Loretta talked about her collaboration with Jack White and remarked that he understood what she's always been about, musically. She said they have similar ideas of what music is to them and their collaboration was a logical extension of those ideas.

A few years ago Johnny Cash made controversional recordings involving collaborations with raw-sounding rock bands. Nowadays, folks say he was a true visionary because of those choices. I don't see any difference in what Loretta has done with her collaboration.

You may not like what she's doing now, but give her credit for being an artist who is willing to try radical ideas as apposed to the "cookie-cutter" formula we all like to complain about.

Go get'em, Loretta! Image

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

I also saw Loretta Lynn on today and I am sorry to say she doesn't put a good view of country music out there, that would draw anyone in. I still love her music but I love what she did before..RS Image
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

I think that kind of "EARTHY" playing is correctly named....that means it ought to be buried.
David Rothon

Post by David Rothon »

I've bought the album and think it's a great piece of work. Granted, there might be a slight element of ego-tripping on the part of Jack White, but there can be no doubting his respect for Loretta's music - the White Stripes dedicated one of their albums to her (which is how this collaboration came about), and in their own right they've achieved a level of success such that they've nothing really to gain from doing this. I do think White's motives are for the best here, and that he's done a brilliant job. SHE's obviously happy with it....
I don't think it makes sense to complain that such-and-such a person isn't getting this kind of exposure even though they're a great musician. That really isn't the point – it ain't gonna happen. There are any number of brilliant musicians out there who deserve greater success, but that's not what the industry is based on.
Loretta's album is getting such exposure because the White Stripes are big news; because this is something a little radical (but hell, it's just a country album with a garage-band setting. Which is a good thing, IMO). Isn't it better that music like this is getting on TV than the usual stuff foisted on us by the dullards that constitute the music business? And isn't it a good thing that people might as a result be turned on to Loretta's other work and (decent) country music in general?
I come from what you might describe as a rock/alternative/indie background. I also love traditional country music; hate today's corporate 'country'. As Glenn pointed out, the music of Loretta, Johnny Cash and others had a real edge to it first time round. And that's how it should be - otherwise real country music will just wither and die. That an album such as Van Lear Rose has been made - and is successful - is a cause for celebration. And somewhere down the line it might even lead to more work for steel players of my limited abilities... Image
Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

Well, I think its GREAT!
I love classic country I also like rock-n-roll. I think that they did a fine job of melding country and garage rock-n-roll. KUDO's to Loretta for trying something diferent, and shaking off the cobwebs. Much better than the crap on mainstream country radio which is way farther away from real country to my ears...
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

from a recent press release:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Country Music Icon Loretta Lynn Has Highest Debut Of Her Career With Van Lear Rose

Singer/songwriter Loretta Lynn debuts at #24 on next week's Billboard 200 Album Chart with Van Lear Rose (Interscope Records), the highest album entry of her legendary career. Although Loretta has previously celebrated 17 #1 albums on the country chart, her previous high on the Billboard 200 was 1993's Honky Tonk Angels (#42), a collaboration with Tammy Wynette and Dolly Parton. Van Lear Rose enters next week's country chart at #2.

The album of self-penned material has been hailed by critics as "a classic Loretta Lynn album" (Rolling Stone), and "an instant country-rock classic that may be the album of a damn remarkable lifetime" (Entertainment Weekly).

Loretta Lynn will spend the entire hour with Larry King on May 11 on CNN. Check local listings for airtimes.</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently "Van Lear Rose" has sold 37,000 copies during its first week of release.

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Cory Jensen

Post by Cory Jensen »

It debuted at number 24 on the billboard top 200 charts this week. Not bad.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/bb200.jsp <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Cory Jensen on 06 May 2004 at 12:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

David,

I'm not 'complaining' in any real sense - I have an idea (after 40 years) how the music business works. I am sad that good musicianship alone (Nichols, Krauss) is not enough to get people's attention, and that it takes a radical departure on the part of someone like Loretta to get her back in the eyes of the media.

You're right, though - everything moves on; how jarring did Elvis Presley sound at first hearing back in '54? Sure, he retreated from his rebellious beginnings before too long, then he became an 'establishment' figure. Not before he'd left an indelible mark on the culture, though....

I MUST listen to this Lynn record!

RR
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Listening to the local "Underground/Americana" station yesterday, I was startled to hear a very familiar voice on the rock song they were playing. There was no mistaking that it was Loretta Lynn's wonderful voice, as strong as ever. The song was nice and her singing was just fantastic. What I had trouble with was listening through the rather BUSY mix (with superfluous distorted guitar solos and the snare drum was way to loud). I wanted to hear that incredibly expressive voice way up front. God bless Jack White for a noble effort in presenting a deserving legend to his audience, but I wish his production did justice to the song I heard. Maybe the rest of the album is better. Picky, picky picky!
Ed Mooney

Post by Ed Mooney »

If you'd like to hear a few clips of Lorreta's new CD , go to amazom.com or barnes and nobles website.

Peace, Ed
David Rothon

Post by David Rothon »

I think it's also worth pointing out for those who haven't yet heard the album that it's not exactly the fuzz-guitar fest that one might infer from a lot of what has been written and the one or two tracks that have been getting all the attention. In fact, the instrumentation on most of the songs is pretty restrained, with acoustic guitar dominating, with a bit of atmospherics courtesy of steel or slide guitar, a touch of fiddle, etc. Loretta's voice shines out loud and clear... I think you might be surprised at just how traditional-sounding a lot of it is.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Scott:A three day weekend sounds like a lot fun being that the Sun just started shining up here,What I meant by They sounded "Sour"on the Today show as in out of tune, bad intonation,bad hands,Bad pitch built into one's head at the people factory,Bad right hand technique,Bad left hand,Bad Feet,Nice Metalflake paint job on the Bass Drum though.Russ I love your definition of earthy sounding,I'll have to steal that along with some of your licks.
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

When we have our N.T.S.G.A. jams every quarter we have three sets, usually the first one features for lack of a better word (non-professionals) who make up a large percentage of our membership. I don't know how many times I remember saying how happy I am that these players have the opportunity to perform and 'do their thing' on the same stage as the 'big boys', because it seems to me they always have something to 'bring to the table' no matter to what level they have developed their talents. With this thought in mind it truly saddens me to realize that I apparently don't have the character to get on this wonderful forum and express an opinion I have about a particular recording Ive heard or a performance I've seen without putting down the talents of the musicians involved. That's exactly what I did and for that I am truly sorry. Maybe I resented sitting home on my --- watching those young guys on net-work TV, making that net-work scale and having a good time doing it, I don't know, but because I would have rather seen Hal Rugg or Bobby Hempker on there with Loretta is no excuse for the name-calling or what-ever words or attitudes that I exhibited; it's all really none of my business.....GO LORETTA LYNN!!!!
Jonathan Gregg

Post by Jonathan Gregg »

I guess it's always dangerous to judge things based on one's expertise, which in the case of Mr. Hicks is quite considerable indeed -- he is awesome. It is frustrating to hear things played not as well as you know you could, or as many other underappreciated pros certainly could. But that is rarely the point in popular music.
Chops are not as important as having Loretta Lynn be heard by millions of White Stripes fans, and if that's what it takes, so be it. Like Carl Perkins said, different is better than good, and we have to accept that some of that is what keeps music fresh and vital.
Having not heard the CD, I can't say what I think, but I have already had one friend tell me he wasn't impressed with the steel playing -- but heck, she is Loretta Lynn, and if she likes it we should at least give her credit for a lifetime in the trenches, writing songs that we all call the real thing. But before they became canonized, they must have been considered by some to be lacking in polish too.
So if it's cool by her, I'll sure listen, and Jack White is doing her and the world a great service by bringing his audience to Loretta Lynn.
I recently heard Big Boy Crudup's original version of That's All right Mama, and I swear the thing is not in any key I ever played in and has the structure of a train wreck, but at least one real cool cat heard it and liked it... and the circle goes round again.